• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hey Boston am I forgiven?

Guest Bill Buckner

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  553
  • Days Won:  0

I am in beantown tomorrow and have been thinking of covering myself in Red Sox gear and taking a plunge from the top of the prudential. What else is there now?

I'm taking the family to Boston tonight for Saturday's parade.

I'll look for the guy jumping off The Pru!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,464

I'm taking the family to Boston tonight for Saturday's parade.

I'll look for the guy jumping off The Pru!

Are you really going? I am going and leaving tomorrow morning. I still have not found any details other then CNBC reporting that their could be 5 million people there. WOW

Buckner to Red Sox fans: Don't forgive me

Story Tools:  

Print  

Email  

Posted: 14 minutes ago

Bill Buckner's name has been brought up a lot now that the Red Sox have finally won a World Series championship after an 86-year drought.

Photo galleries ...

Sox fans celebrate

World Series, Game 4

Also ...

·  Red Sox end 'Curse' with sweep

·  What's next for Red Sox fans?

But after becoming the whipping boy of the Red Sox nation over a crucial error in Boston's last trip to the World Series in 1986, Buckner doesn't want anyone saying he's now "forgiven" for his mistake.

"I don't want to bring a downer on the whole situation because I'm very happy for the Boston Red Sox ... and they certainly deserved to win the World Series this year." Buckner said on Sporting News Radio's James Brown Show.

"I'm just a little disappointed with the whole thing. This whole thing about being forgiven and clearing my name, you know, I mean ... cleared from what? What did I do wrong? It's almost like being in prison for 30 years and then they come up with a DNA test to prove that you weren't guilty.

"I've gone through a lot of, what I feel, undeserved bad situations for myself and my family over a long period of time, and for someone to come up to me and say, 'Hey, you're forgiven.' I mean, it just kind of brings a really bad taste in my mouth."

There has been talk in some circles of trying to include Buckner in this year's victory celebration, but Buckner made it clear where he stood on that notion.

"Not a chance. Not a chance," Buckner said. "There are a lot of great people in New England and great fans, and obviously they're very passionate about their team. This is their championship; this is what they did, and I'm happy for them. But my team in '86 didn't win and this team did."

The James Brown Show airs nationally on Sporting News Radio weekdays from 10 a.m.-noon ET.

great way to treat a former player....

Said George Steinbrenner to Dave Winfield...

Because the fans are SO much more important than the actual OWNERSHIP of the team.

Ask Ortiz, Yaz, Williams, and Fisk about how the Red Sox treat their stars, current and former.  And, if you think Buckner was actually a "star" in Boston, you're ignorant.  

By the way, nice choke job.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

never said nice way to treat a former star.....read before you open your trap!

great way to treat a former player....

Have you ever heard of Johnny Pesky? He cost us a world series and is one of most beloved sox ever. Real sox fans know that Buckner did not cost us the 86 series. It was a combo of Clemens/Schiraldi/Stanley that cost us so I wouldnt say the Fans treat Buckenr that badly. The real fans respect him as I do.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I think Buckner gets a bad rap from the media and yankee fans, just because of the curse... but boston fans like him, always have.