• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Narrows Its Search For AD To Two

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  23
  • Days Won:  0

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: May 7, 2004

TAMPA - This much is certain about South Florida's next athletic director: He will be a former Washington State associate AD who played college basketball.

USF President Judy Genshaft must decide, though, whether it's Virginia senior associate AD Jon Oliver or Saint Louis AD Doug Woolard after they were unanimously recommended by USF's 12-member search committee Thursday.

There is no timetable when Genshaft will make her decision. It's unknown if she will speak with the finalists again. Genshaft already met with the candidates for an hour during their on-campus visits.

A former basketball player from 1983-85 and co-captain at Boise State, Oliver, 40, has been at Virginia since 2001. He also was a Washington State associate AD from 1995-2001.

``I still believe USF is an incredible opportunity and believe that even more after visiting on campus, meeting with various groups,'' Oliver said Thursday. ``I'm set to lead, set a vision and get USF on track. The institution has tremendous leadership in place and is set to support to move the programs to new heights.''

Woolard, 54, who played basketball at Southern Illinois from 1968-69, has been Saint Louis' AD since 1994. Before that he was at Washington State from 1989-1994.

``This is certainly a compliment,'' Woolard said Thursday. ``I had the opportunity to visit with a lot of people and I was impressed with the quality of the people. My wife, Cherrie, and I haven't had a chance to visit about the opportunity, but I'm impressed with the excitement about the university in general.''

USF vice president Michael Rierson, who will meet with Genshaft this morning, was impressed by the candidates.

``Jon Oliver delivered a sense of motivation and enthusiasm that was positively electric,'' Rierson said. ``If he was a baseball player, he was throwing a perfect game. He strikes me as an enthusiastic, focused, energetic and deliberate leader. Not only can he bench press 380, I believe he can carry a lot of weight as a leader.

``Doug Woolard brought a sense of experience. An `I've been there and have the ability to take you there' perspective. He had a calm and mature energy. He also brought forward a sense of national experience. Doug had a sense he knew where he wanted to take us in basketball, football and in all sports. He had a community commitment that came across quite clearly.''

A number of search committee members noted Oliver as ``a compelling choice'' with ``charisma'' while touting Woolard's ``proven leadership'' and ``track record.''

``Oliver is poised to be a real star in the athletic director hierarchy and Doug Woolard is a proven commodity as athletic director at Saint Louis for 9 1/2 years,'' search committee chairman Hinks Shimberg said.

``Arguably,'' Rierson said, ``this is one of the most important decisions you can make at a university.''

Before making her decision, Genshaft said she will talk individually with members of the committee and the athletic department and consult with faculty, staff and students ``to ensure we make the right choice for the entire university.''

``No matter which decision we make,'' search committee member Frank Morsani said, ``it won't be the wrong one.''

The right choice, as far as USF's head coaches are concerned, is Oliver. In a Tampa Tribune poll in which nine of USF's 13 head coaches participated, Oliver received seven of nine first-place votes.

Woolard and former Air Force AD Randy Spetman, who along with Michigan State associate AD Mark Hollis was eliminated Thursday, received one first-place vote each.

http://www.tbo.com/bulls/MGAWG15QXTD.html

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

great article - does USF go with experienece or take chances with a rising star?

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

rising star. bcs experience. recent football experience

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

either one is good choice