Is it time for OCS?

BrahmanBullzzz

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

I think its also fair to wait to see how much the fanbase continues to dwindle as the team continues to lose. If the fanbase won't support a team during a losing spell, which all programs experience, why spend hundreds of millions and incur the debt that can't be serviced through ticket sales?  Does anyone think that a new stadium in itself is enough to put butts in the seat? And if they add a PSL, you have to pay hundreds or thousands before you can even buy a season ticket.

Doubt that things would change to PSL's from the current donor structure.

I do think that a new stadium would put butts in seats, especially when you'd be talking about a smaller stadium and a more difficult time getting seats, especially when we start winning more often (yes, that time will come again).

I think it will help with attendance, especially in the beginning because of the novelty of it all.  Only winning football will sustain attendance, regardless of venue.  The reasons for an OCS go beyond single-season attendance numbers.  It's a significant investment in the program's long-term viability.  I haven't gotten the impression that USF is questioning football's long-term viability.  On the other hand, IMHO, staying at RJS would eventually prompt questions about whether USF sees a future with football.  

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I think its also fair to wait to see how much the fanbase continues to dwindle as the team continues to lose. If the fanbase won't support a team during a losing spell, which all programs experience, why spend hundreds of millions and incur the debt that can't be serviced through ticket sales?  Does anyone think that a new stadium in itself is enough to put butts in the seat? And if they add a PSL, you have to pay hundreds or thousands before you can even buy a season ticket.

Doubt that things would change to PSL's from the current donor structure.

I do think that a new stadium would put butts in seats, especially when you'd be talking about a smaller stadium and a more difficult time getting seats, especially when we start winning more often (yes, that time will come again).

I think it will help with attendance, especially in the beginning because of the novelty of it all.  Only winning football will sustain attendance, regardless of venue.  The reasons for an OCS go beyond single-season attendance numbers.  It's a significant investment in the program's long-term viability.  I haven't gotten the impression that USF is questioning football's long-term viability.  On the other hand, IMHO, staying at RJS would eventually prompt questions about whether USF sees a future with football.  

Good post.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,595
  • Days Won:  3

obligatory OCS pic post, images are at scale - the old Orange Bowl on USF campus

XX82HkV.jpg

Just so we're clear for the new ones to the conversation, that's not the picked location as far as we know, correct?

Correct, but by far the best location IMO.

Close to a large portion of on-campus living, andros and argos, close to Greek, and very close to apartment complexes just off campus(Avalon, Flats, Venue, On50, Sunridge).

I believe this is becoming a necessity for USF football.

If schools like Houston, CSU, North Texas, UCF, and Minnesota are able to do this, why can't USF?

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I hope that when they do build one that it's oriented north/south not east/west

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

If schools like Houston, CSU, North Texas, UCF, and Minnesota are able to do this, why can't USF?

A combination of money and necessity. We just don't have enough of either to prompt the expense, in my honest opinion.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

While I am certainly not advocating that USF build a glorified high school stadium, I do think we need to put things into perspective. If we want an iconic cathedral on the campus then we might be waiting too long. These stadiums are not built overnight we do not have a concrete commitment or even a fundraising effort at this time. I think a fair question to ask is how long can USF afford to wait?

We continue to be the last holdout in terms of the public universities in the state of Florida with regards to the on campus facility. UCF has already started their efforts to expand Bright House Networks Stadium. http://ucfgoldenknightsclub.com/facility-projects/football-expansion/

Yes, winning helps but it is foolish to believe that the atmosphere up in Orlando and ESPNs love affair with their facilities isn’t helping recruiting, attendance, and gameday experience. Brighthouse Networks Stadium was certainly the right decision for UCF.http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/blogs/jon-busdeker/os-ucf-football-game-day,0,3741777.post

We can only hope to create this atmosphere one day.

Times have changed. Today quick is better than perfect, in business they talk about the minimum viable product. Looking across the country we can see that virtually every other university has followed this model, build an on campus stadium then expand as needed. The longer we wait the more we fall behind. A 40-50K bare bones stadium with the ability to expand and upgrade in the future would be the perfect solution, and cost nowhere near the visions of grandeur we had just several years ago. The goal is to get masses of people on the campus, create a campus atmosphere, build our own campus traditions, and improve the game day football experience, these can all be accomplished with a bare bones stadium. The facility can then be expanded and upgraded in the future and maybe in our lifetime that iconic cathedral might emerge, but right now the goal should be to get onto the campus.

Just to clarify a key point up there. UCF didn't just decide to build BHNS, they built it for the same reason the vast majority of other universities that have an OCS did .... they're only other options at the time were sharing local high school stadiums.

I thought the Citrus bowl could have been renovated, although I didn't keep up with all of their options so maybe it wasn't an option.

Regardless, I don't think I've ever heard anyone at USF say that RJS was their long-term solution and that an OCS wasn't necessary.  Even when CJL waxed poetic on how much recruits loved playing in an NFL stadium.  I think (I hope) USF appreciates the values of having an OCS.  

We don't need something like the swamp or Doak Campbell - something smaller and more affordable would be perfect given the current state of the program (small season-ticket base and limited revenue).  But I think an OCS is ultimately necessary, even with an excellent pirate ship stadium in town.

All I'm really saying is that until there comes a point in time that it becomes a real necessity, I just don't see anything happening unless someone comes in with a huge donation to get it started ... If we were having a season like UCF is, game day atmosphere would be a minor detail .... If one at all.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

So if this happens then how long until the ******** starts when (I said when) usf agrees to a home and home with (big time opponent) where our home game is at ray jay? Arguably FSU agreed to play us again since their fans had no issues getting tickets at ray jay.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

So if this happens then how long until the ******** starts when (I said when) usf agrees to a home and home with (big time opponent) where our home game is at ray jay? Arguably FSU agreed to play us again since their fans had no issues getting tickets at ray jay.

That's looking way down the line but I wouldn't have a problem with it, as long as they had a good seat distribution plan for season ticket holders .... Beats the heck out of a 1-1 where your "home" game is played in Ireland.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Ultimately, if/when USF builds a ~50K seat stadium, they should be able to get most larger caliber programs to come visit, save for a few of the snobbiest (UF mostly). Texas and South Carolina didn't mind trips to UCF, and there are plenty of other teams (ones that travel well) who end up playing in stadiums that aren't 70K+.

Road games are nice for alumni/fanbases who may be concentrated in certain areas and a game is a shorter drive to see their team on the road versus making 6-7 trips to their home site when it may be farther away (i.e. Notre Dame fans in NY/Boston area liking the games with Syracuse, BC, Pitt, etc versus traveling all the way to South BFE, Indiana).

If a school doesn't want to do a home and home, F*** 'em. The snotty, entitled programs of the world care not for the home field advantage and would have 12 home games a year if there weren't rules in place. Playing on the road in a hostile environment is fun for the teams, it's adversity they can attempt to overcome, and it's great when there's that little pocket of your own fans cheering in the nosebleeds and corner pizza slice sections.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

That's looking way down the line but I wouldn't have a problem with it, as long as they had a good seat distribution plan for season ticket holders .... Beats the heck out of a 1-1 where your "home" game is played in Ireland.

Agreed, though to add to my previous post, there would only be a select handful of schools I'd take a 1-1 with playing at RJS. Probably less than 3-4. (Noting that Michigan did go to UCONN of all places this year)