• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Confused About our Recruiting Philosophy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  1,342
  • Days Won:  2

I really like the direction CJS is taking the team, he's very open and honest in his interviews, he has the right mentality and attitude.  Getting the team focused on becoming better.  But,  I've noticed most of the recruits he's bringing in next year, USF is the cream of the schools most of the recruits have been offered (there are a couple of exceptions).   I certainly hope that these recruits are all under the radar.   Are we going after recruits that will make us more competitive in the AAC and the power teams we have scheduled?   Is anyone else concerned about this or am I just reading too much into it?   What am I missing?  I'm not hating on our recruiting approach just wondering why most everyone is happy with the results so far and I don't feel the same way.  For those that are satisfied about our recruiting, educate me on why you feel that way.  I want to feel excited about our recruiting class too.

Thanks! 

3 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

But I think what you are saying is that since many of his recruits are being recruited by schools beneath us then they aren't going to be help us compete at this level, and as a result that makes him a bad recruiter.

I have no skill set to call CJS a bad recruiter and at this point I will give him the BOD.   The appearance is that He's bringing in players that to me will struggle playing on our level based on the other schools that have offered them because those schools are also not on our level.   This is not what I was expecting based on his background; I just hope his approach is unique and he's finding gems that everyone else is overlooking.

13 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

One explanation is that he is finding talent that the same of bigger schools are looking over, and he has confidence in his staff to think they can get even more out of them by coaching them up. CJL and his staff were able to just do that.

I hope that this is the case.

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,356
  • Days Won:  8

This all comes down to the offense and defense you are recruiting for.

Jim Leavitt knew that he could get smaller, faster kids overlooked by bigger programs, then ran a spread offense and swarming defense 

Willie recruited the same (at least on offense)

Hopefully, Jeff Scott is sticking to this formula in recruiting 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

31 minutes ago, Cornada said:

I have no skill set to call CJS a bad recruiter and at this point I will give him the BOD.   The appearance is that He's bringing in players that to me will struggle playing on our level based on the other schools that have offered them because those schools are also not on our level.   This is not what I was expecting based on his background; I just hope his approach is unique and he's finding gems that everyone else is overlooking.

Good points. I would offer, however we are ranked third in the AAC in recruiting for next year‘s class.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,079

Scott is doing a fine job recruiting.  The one thing he needs to do is offer every high 3 and 4 star dual threat QB in the southeast and tell them they are the starter from day one if they commit.  We need the next MG/BJD/QF.  We will not be good until we get that person on campus. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

15 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

I hate to say it but every college coach's legacy is tied to their ability to recruit a QB.

Flowers made Taggart millions of dollars

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199

I trust Scott and company much more than Strong and his staff...a staff that failed to develop one player while he was  here for three years.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, Cornada said:

I really like the direction CJS is taking the team, he's very open and honest in his interviews, he has the right mentality and attitude.  Getting the team focused on becoming better.  But,  I've noticed most of the recruits he's bringing in next year, USF is the cream of the schools most of the recruits have been offered (there are a couple of exceptions).   I certainly hope that these recruits are all under the radar.   Are we going after recruits that will make us more competitive in the AAC and the power teams we have scheduled?   Is anyone else concerned about this or am I just reading too much into it?   What am I missing?  I'm not hating on our recruiting approach just wondering why most everyone is happy with the results so far and I don't feel the same way.  For those that are satisfied about our recruiting, educate me on why you feel that way.  I want to feel excited about our recruiting class too.

Thanks! 

You mean our aac team that has looked awful the past couple of years can't attract top end P5 talent?  Say it ain't so

Edited by chapelbull

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, brybull1970 said:

USF athletics is more in line with Sun Belt schools than it is the AAC.

Kids who are seriously considering UCF are not seriously considering USF.

This isn't true