• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

First Four Scouting: FSU Watch

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

KEKUIOKQWWIJMKR.20160729161922.jpg
Courtesy: Ross Obley

Cook Embraces Leadership Role

By Tim Linafelt
Seminoles.com Senior Writer

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Asked at last week’s ACC Football Kickoff about what he’s done to improve, Dalvin Cook answered with the usual platitudes about getting stronger and faster.

But for a player who has already shattered every school record he has come near while delivering a career’s worth of highlight-reel jukes, spins and touchdown runs, strength and speed are rarely issues.

Which is why, a few minutes into his interview, Cook also revealed he’s spent much of the offseason working to become better in ways that don’t show up in the box score.

WATCH: Dalvin Cook at ACC Football Kickoff

As he enters his junior season at Florida State, Cook says he wants to become a pillar of the locker room, someone who both younger players and peers can look to for leadership and inspiration.

And, crazy as it may sound for someone who scored 19 touchdowns a year ago, Cook also says he wants to be a more effective player when the ball is not in his hands.

It’s a selfless thought from a player thought to be among the frontrunners for the Heisman Trophy.

“He affects our guys every day in a great way,” FSU coach Jimbo Fisher said. “By example, how he does things and his ability to see them not doing (things the right way) and go put his arm around them and talk to them. Or actually get on them.

“He has grown in the role of his responsibility.”

That’s welcome news for a Florida State offense that returns 11 starters from a year ago, but that also spent much of last season looking for new leaders to emerge in the wake of Jameis Winston’s departure.

For Cook, leading by example came naturally.

He sees his evolution into a vocal presence as an extension of his on-field performance.

“If you have success on the field, this will come with it,” Cook said. “There’s no other role I wanted to take than to be the face (of the program). I’m going to continue to make plays and lead these guys in the right way.”

So far, Cook is seeing his efforts pay off.

Cook was instrumental in organizing a group of Seminoles for summer workouts at FSU’s beach volleyball facility, where players spent time running and cutting in the sand, which in turn made for an easier time once they moved back to turf.

After a few sessions, Cook found he no longer needed to organize his teammates.

“Now they just go on their own,” Cook said.

TXSPWYPYEEJWQKW.20160410135614.jpg

Dalvin Cook (right) shares a moment with Jacques Patrick before the Garnet and Gold Game in Orlando. 

And, despite missing the spring game due to a shoulder injury, Cook kept his presence at practice, where he took his own mental reps while mentoring the less experienced running backs.

“I’ve seen him grow,” senior defensive end DeMarcus Walker said. “And he’s become the voice of the offense.”

Which is not to say that Cook hasn’t spent plenty of time refining his physical traits, with health as his top priority.

Great as he was a year ago, it’s hard not to wonder what Cook might have done were he not saddled with lingering ankle and hamstring injuries.

While injuries are often out of a player’s control, Cook still said he’s doing everything in his power to keep himself in top condition for the season.

“Last year taught me a lesson,” Cook said. “I’m trying to work on the little muscles that you’ve got. I’ve got a good relationship with my trainer, good relationship with my strength coaches. … That’s a thing I take pride in, taking care of my body.”

Beyond that, Cook has a proven conditioning philosophy: work out until the exercises become easy, then ramp up the difficulty.

“That makes Saturdays come easy,” he said. “I push myself … so the game can be easy.”

(As in previous seasons, feel free to append additional FSU articles/links of interest)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Yep, it's all about preparing for #4. We had such a good game plan last year for everything but him, but containing him is like trying to give a cat a bath. Hope we have better luck with it this year.

angrycat.jpg

Edited by raptorcj
  • Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

Cook can and will destroy us.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, lotsofbull99 said:

Cook can and will destroy us.

No exclamation marks = foul

troll-devil-l.png

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

For the most part, everything is in place to take back the ACC title – except for the No. 1 quarterback. 

Maguire's ankle is supposed to be fine, but if it's not, or if he struggles, then it’s sink-or-swim time with Francois. 

I was wondering who's throwing passes over there nowadays and came across this.

http://campusinsiders.com/news/florida-state-quarterback-battle-06-13-2016

Their QB situation does not scare me. I'd love to see Francois get the start against us. 4-2-5 is not something you see all the time as a QB in the ACC.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

So I don't think their players were allowed at bars this off season or we would have heard about it by now 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Does it really matter who's handing the ball off?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Does it really matter who's handing the ball off?

If our dreams come true it might...

77966148-wide-receiver-trent-guy-of-the-

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  314
  • Days Won:  0

Still have nightmares of that 74 yard run at the end of the first quarter from Cook. He seemed to hit another gear at the FSU 40. And then some TERRIBLE tackling down field on our part. 

• Upvote 1