CWT Interviewing at SC

NewEnglandBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Umm affirmative action interviews are a thing of the past. That isn't even a real thing anymore. I work in HR and know that unless company mandated it's not a thing. For government employer veterans preference is a real thing, but not minority preference 

legally, yes that is correct. However, with all of the unrest regarding social issues on college campuses today, the fact that Willie Taggert is an African-American cannot be ignored.  It certainly "could" have been a reason why he was interviewed.  That being said, I do believe he is a good coach on his own right, regardless of color

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

According to McDouchebag, the South Carolina candidates are, Will Muschamp, Greg Schiano, Rich Rodriguez and Willie Taggart.

Will Muschamp didn't make it at UF. Why would SC want him? It looks especially bad when the new UF coach stepped right in and won.

Greg Schiano is not a hot commodity. Otherwise, he's be working right now.

Rich Rodriguez hasn't done anything since WV.

This leaves Willie Taggart. He doesn't look that bad. And then he could go cheap, too. Two turnarounds and high-octane offense?

This logic makes sense, especially after watching Muschamp's meltdowns in the Iron Bowl.  Who needs that?  Schiano doesn't look like an SEC coach, IMO.  Rich Rod would love to be on the East Coast, closer to family, my guess.

I love what CWT has done the last 8 games, but let's be real:  of the 8 wins, only 2 teams (Temple & Cincy) had winning records.  USCe doesn't have to scrimp here...Spurrier retired, so there's no buy out, and they have ample cash.  So, would they triple Taggart's salary, given his record and the facts above?  Not likely.  I didn't speak to a frat boy, but one of my USCe alum buds strongly believes they won't gamble on Taggart.  He also said don't rule out that the hire isn't listed by the "experts".

As to impact on recruits, if Taggart stays, he can tell the kids that he did the smart thing:  test the market & get a pay raise.  That IS the smart thing to do, especially in this market.  If he leaves, he earned it...we always had the ability to pay him more (not SEC $$, but more than $1.15).  I think no matter what, Taggart gets at least what Frost is getting at UCF. Harlan is smart enough to play this either way:  pay Taggart or pull in another coach (or elevate Coach Allen).

My guess:  Taggart stays, gets $2MM, assistants get more $$, recruits lock in and we pull in a top 35 class.

Let's compare notes when the dust settles.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

In our conference, it WILL happen every year.  Maybe not to USF every year, but at least a three or four different programs. The AAC will  continue to be the Leading G5 conference.

I 100% agree, my point bieing that if he is interviewing this year, interviewing next year, we will look unstable. Not that there is anything we can do about it.  

I 100% agree, my point bieing that if he is interviewing this year, interviewing next year, we will look unstable. Not that there is anything we can do about it.  

OK, I agree with that point. I think the next time he interviews, however, he will be gone.

• Upvote 1

I just scrolled across the ESPN ticker that Taggert is interviewing.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  143
  • Days Won:  0

I don't think CWT will be picked for the position but I do remember Coach Leavitt interviewing for the Alabama job and received an extension with a higher buyout clause when he got back.  

This could also be away for USC to interview a minority coach.  I believe the job will go to either Muschamp or RichRod. 

GO BULLS!!!!!

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,713
  • Days Won:  53

OK, I agree with that point. I think the next time he interviews, however, he will be gone.

So let's throw some cash at Tom Allen so he will be here next offseason.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Yes its only 8 wins but we are beating the snot out of people right now. We have not looked this good since 2007.... and for the first time in our HISTORY we are ending the season strong because of our depth.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

like Jupiter said above, Harlan has the ability to handle this a number of ways.  I am not sure I give cwt a pay raise just yet.  Next year is his money year.  I am sure taggart noticed what Ucf just paid a coach who has never been a head coach before.  That has to sting a little. 

• Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,770
  • Days Won:  19

HR Bull... I do understand veteran preference being a veteran and I don't question your HR background. If you read the memo by USC's HR department published last year, it commented directly on minorities with respect to the interview process and some type of preference (and of course I lost the link when I was clicking through different windows). Also, the BCA (black coaches association) grades all universities on the hiring process of head coaches. There no doubt in my mind that the hiring process has a PC agenda (regardless of whether or not it is stated outright) in a school of the Mason-Dixon line.