DL Coach Mathies arrested DUI

Vroomy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

People seem to take such a arrogant snub-nosed approach when it comes to DUI's. If you are a drinker, there was probably some point in your life that you drove when you probably shouldn't have. Some people get caught and some don't. Getting caught doesn't make you a bad person. It's an exhibition of bad judgement caused by reduced inhibitions. People need to get off their white horses because I'm sure they are not perfect all the time either...

Until you kill someone?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,144
  • Days Won:  109

People seem to take such a arrogant snub-nosed approach when it comes to DUI's. If you are a drinker, there was probably some point in your life that you drove when you probably shouldn't have. Some people get caught and some don't. Getting caught doesn't make you a bad person. It's an exhibition of bad judgement caused by reduced inhibitions. People need to get off their white horses because I'm sure they are not perfect all the time either...

Until you kill someone?

I don't think anyone here is condoning drinking and driving.  We got rear ended a few months ago by a sober person. We are alive but just as easily could be dead. Driving while tired is as bad or worse than driving while intoxicated from recent reports I've read.  Texting and driving? Eating a meal while driving? Putting on lipstick?  Turning to yell at the kids? A dog in your lap? What is reaction time of people 90 and older?  My mother has macular degeneration but still got a license here in FL when she moved down which was good for 6 years.  She was 91 when that license expired and wasn't sure it was me when I walked into her house. She could have been out there driving if she chose.  People do stupid crap all the time.  In Florida when you follow too closely you aren't "tailgating" you are "drafting". 

The debate is whether we fire a guy for doing it especially in light of the fact that we just hired a guy who has done it.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

All this talk is making me thirsty.

:cheers

24wfzex.gif

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  1,174
  • Days Won:  3

Until you kill someone?
Well he didn't and I'm sure he'll learn from it. More people die everyday from distracted driving. Let's start tar and feathering them! They must be bad people too!

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Until you kill someone?

I don't think anyone here is condoning drinking and driving.  We got rear ended a few months ago by a sober person. We are alive but just as easily could be dead. Driving while tired is as bad or worse than driving while intoxicated from recent reports I've read.  Texting and driving? Eating a meal while driving? Putting on lipstick?  Turning to yell at the kids? A dog in your lap? What is reaction time of people 90 and older?  My mother has macular degeneration but still got a license here in FL when she moved down which was good for 6 years.  She was 91 when that license expired and wasn't sure it was me when I walked into her house. She could have been out there driving if she chose.  People do stupid crap all the time.  In Florida when you follow too closely you aren't "tailgating" you are "drafting". 

The debate is whether we fire a guy for doing it especially in light of the fact that we just hired a guy who has done it.

Which is why I really can't wait for the automated vehicle to arrive

Sit back, punch up a destination, and post on the Bullspen until we get there.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Until you kill someone?

Maybe we can have your car put back on manual. #TooManyPosts

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Until you kill someone?

I don't think anyone here is condoning drinking and driving. We got rear ended a few months ago by a sober person. We are alive but just as easily could be dead. Driving while tired is as bad or worse than driving while intoxicated from recent reports I've read. Texting and driving? Eating a meal while driving? Putting on lipstick? Turning to yell at the kids? A dog in your lap? What is reaction time of people 90 and older? My mother has macular degeneration but still got a license here in FL when she moved down which was good for 6 years. She was 91 when that license expired and wasn't sure it was me when I walked into her house. She could have been out there driving if she chose. People do stupid crap all the time. In Florida when you follow too closely you aren't "tailgating" you are "drafting".

http://youtu.be/WsnKzK6dX8Q

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Until you kill someone?
Well he didn't and I'm sure he'll learn from it. More people die everyday from distracted driving. Let's start tar and feathering them! They must be bad people too!

Well they are dead so that is probably punishment enough....

oh you meant the distracted drivers... yeah I think that punishment might be too light. As is anything short of severing Mathies relationship with USF. We expect a lot of our unpaid young athletes - we should expect far more from our coaches!

You can be a priest and get a DUI and not get fired. You can be a teacher, get a DUI and not get fired. You can be Jerry Sandusky, bugger a bunch of young boys and not get fired. You can certainly be a US Senator and get a DUI(not easy cause they have cars and drivers) and not get fired. When does Asst. FB Coach rise to a moral standard these others are not held to.

For Gods sake , My judge in my one DUI case was crucified for her lapse. The only omission in the article was that she had an open bottle of prescription pills on the passenger floorboard. Let's crucify Eric.

St. Lucie Judge Nelson doesn't fight DUI charges; gets probation, fine in Indian River court
  • By Elliott Jones
  • Posted February 6, 2012 at 1:16 p.m., updated February 6, 2012 at 5 p.m.
520120206135428002_t160.JPG

Photo by Juan Dale Brown

Kathryn Nelson, St. Lucie County Court Judge (starting on November 2, 2005)

VERO BEACH — St. Lucie County Judge Kathryn Nelson pleaded no contest to driving while intoxicated on the Merrill Barber Bridge during October, and on Monday a judge sentenced her to a year of probation, a $500 fine, DUI school and 50 hours of community service.

She had contested the charges, and the case was to go to trial, but her defense attorney and prosecutors worked out a plea deal. Under it, prosecutors dismissed a charge of resisting a police officer.

"I regret that I must appear as an accused citizen in county court today," Nelson, 52, said in a prepared statement. "I take full responsibility for my actions that brought me here."

Nelson continues to be a judge. The state's Judicial Qualifications Commission may review her status because of the driving offense, court officials said.

On Monday she went before Brevard County Judge Kelly McKibben who the Florida Supreme Court appointed to the case to avoid any appearance of conflict of interest. An assistant state attorney from Orlando prosecuted Nelson's DUI case because she had previously worked for State Attorney Bruce Colton.

McKibben ruled that Nelson is guilty of DUI and suspended the judge's driver's license for six months.

"This seems fair to me," said Vero Beach Interim Police Chief David Currey. "We did the right thing that night (of the arrest)."

In her prepared statement, Nelson said she had two glasses of wine, and, "while I do not believe that I was impaired by alcohol or any other substance" she also was "very upset over a family matter and I was in no condition to drive."

Nelson's attorney Michael Kessler said a waitress who waited on Nelson and her sister before the accident corroborated that Nelson had two glasses of wine.

At about 5:50 p.m. on Oct. 25 a motorist called Vero Beach police, saying a car was weaving back and forth and struck a bridge guard rail near Indian River Boulevard in Vero Beach.

According to police reports, the driver was Nelson and she refused to get out of the car and initially blamed the accident on using a cellphone. She said she was a judge in St. Lucie County and wouldn't do field sobriety exercises. Police were forced to pry both her hands off the steering wheel to remove her from the car, according to a police report.

She continued to scream and pull away as she was restrained and put in handcuffs.

Police said her breath smelled of alcohol and she appeared to have vomit on her skirt. Nelson refused to undergo testing for alcohol impairment, according to court records.

"I recognize now that I should not have driven that afternoon," she said in the statement. "Our justice system would fail if we could not count on our judge to exemplify the highest standards."

She added that, "I believe that it is in my best interest and the best interest of the community I serve, that I bring this matter to a close and accept the punishment that I have earned by my conduct.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2012/feb/06/st-lucie-judge-nelson-doesnt-fight-dui-charges/

You can be a priest and get a DUI and not get fired. You can be a teacher, get a DUI and not get fired. You can be Jerry Sandusky, bugger a bunch of young boys and not get fired. You can certainly be a US Senator and get a DUI(not easy cause they have cars and drivers) and not get fired. When does Asst. FB Coach rise to a moral standard these others are not held to.

For Gods sake , My judge in my one DUI case was crucified for her lapse. The only omission in the article was that she had an open bottle of prescription pills on the passenger floorboard. Let's crucify Eric.

St. Lucie Judge Nelson doesn't fight DUI charges; gets probation, fine in Indian River court
  • By Elliott Jones
  • Posted February 6, 2012 at 1:16 p.m., updated February 6, 2012 at 5 p.m.
520120206135428002_t160.JPG

Photo by Juan Dale Brown

Kathryn Nelson, St. Lucie County Court Judge (starting on November 2, 2005)

VERO BEACH — St. Lucie County Judge Kathryn Nelson pleaded no contest to driving while intoxicated on the Merrill Barber Bridge during October, and on Monday a judge sentenced her to a year of probation, a $500 fine, DUI school and 50 hours of community service.

She had contested the charges, and the case was to go to trial, but her defense attorney and prosecutors worked out a plea deal. Under it, prosecutors dismissed a charge of resisting a police officer.

"I regret that I must appear as an accused citizen in county court today," Nelson, 52, said in a prepared statement. "I take full responsibility for my actions that brought me here."

Nelson continues to be a judge. The state's Judicial Qualifications Commission may review her status because of the driving offense, court officials said.

On Monday she went before Brevard County Judge Kelly McKibben who the Florida Supreme Court appointed to the case to avoid any appearance of conflict of interest. An assistant state attorney from Orlando prosecuted Nelson's DUI case because she had previously worked for State Attorney Bruce Colton.

McKibben ruled that Nelson is guilty of DUI and suspended the judge's driver's license for six months.

"This seems fair to me," said Vero Beach Interim Police Chief David Currey. "We did the right thing that night (of the arrest)."

In her prepared statement, Nelson said she had two glasses of wine, and, "while I do not believe that I was impaired by alcohol or any other substance" she also was "very upset over a family matter and I was in no condition to drive."

Nelson's attorney Michael Kessler said a waitress who waited on Nelson and her sister before the accident corroborated that Nelson had two glasses of wine.

At about 5:50 p.m. on Oct. 25 a motorist called Vero Beach police, saying a car was weaving back and forth and struck a bridge guard rail near Indian River Boulevard in Vero Beach.

According to police reports, the driver was Nelson and she refused to get out of the car and initially blamed the accident on using a cellphone. She said she was a judge in St. Lucie County and wouldn't do field sobriety exercises. Police were forced to pry both her hands off the steering wheel to remove her from the car, according to a police report.

She continued to scream and pull away as she was restrained and put in handcuffs.

Police said her breath smelled of alcohol and she appeared to have vomit on her skirt. Nelson refused to undergo testing for alcohol impairment, according to court records.

"I recognize now that I should not have driven that afternoon," she said in the statement. "Our justice system would fail if we could not count on our judge to exemplify the highest standards."

She added that, "I believe that it is in my best interest and the best interest of the community I serve, that I bring this matter to a close and accept the punishment that I have earned by my conduct.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2012/feb/06/st-lucie-judge-nelson-doesnt-fight-dui-charges/

My DUI cost me $12,000 dol0ars for a breathalyzer reading of .089. I hadn't had a drink for 3 hours before I was stopped. I could have driven an Indy car I was so sober.