• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Let the latest USF QB competition commence

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

F62JRSI53NFP5AKBLCKRZCGNUU.jpg

The Bulls enter spring practice next week with five scholarship quarterbacks.
Let the latest USF quarterback derby commence
The Bulls enter spring practice next week with five scholarship quarterbacks.

Published Yesterday

USF, rapidly evolving into the cradle of quarterback derbies, is set to stage another one.

The Bulls begin spring practice next week with six quarterbacks — five on scholarship — competing for the starting job vacated when Jordan McCloud transferred to Arizona. The competition marks the program’s second QB derby in as many seasons and third since all-time total yardage leader Quinton Flowers departed following the 2017 season.
“I’m not looking at this as how quickly we make a decision, I’m looking at this to give all these guys a fair opportunity and see everybody work to get better within our offense,” Bulls second-year coach Jeff Scott said Tuesday. “And then just have a great opportunity for someone to really kind of separate and go be our guy for next season.”

Scott also offered quick takes on the four candidates believed to be the most viable contenders:

Cade Fortin, Jr. 

Cade Fortin looks to pass during a game against Cincinnati in October.

Cade Fortin looks to pass during a game against Cincinnati in October.
[ AARON DOSTER | AP ]

Appeared in two games in 2020

“Cade Fortin is someone I’m really pleased with. I think everybody kind of saw later in the year he was making some really good progress and unfortunately got hurt right as he was on a really nice drive (against Tulsa). He sat out the year before at North Carolina, and so I think it took him a little while to kind of knock the rust off. And by the end of the year, he was really performing well, and I think he was getting ready to make a big move on our roster.”

Jarren Williams, So.

Jarren Williams, playing for Miami, runs with the ball during a 2019 game against Florida in Orlando.

Jarren Williams, playing for Miami, runs with the ball during a 2019 game against Florida in Orlando.
[ ALLIE GOULDING | TIMES ]

Passed for 2,187 yards, 19 TDs, 7 INTs in 2019 at Miami

“Jarren Williams is a young man I’ve been familiar with since he’s been in high school ... and I remember when he signed with Miami, I remember watching him his redshirt freshman year. He had a lot of success down there in Miami, and certain things happened, and he felt like it would be best for him to move on. And whenever I found out that he had some interest in coming here, we were all in.”

Katravis Marsh, So.

Katravis Marsh, left, is hit as he throws during a game against Cincinnati in October.

Katravis Marsh, left, is hit as he throws during a game against Cincinnati in October.
[ AARON DOSTER | AP ]

Appeared in four games in 2020

“I think Katravis Marsh is a very talented freshman. ... He had a rough go at it in a couple of games, but probably one of the most impressive guys I’ve been around from an arm-strength standpoint.”

Timmy McClain, Fr.

Led Sanford Seminole to Class 8A state title last season

“He has a chance to be special. All he knows is winning. Won a state championship this year, been a four-year starter, but he is a dual-threat guy that has some serious wheels, really strong arm. Been very impressed with him.”

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

THE KID FROM MIAMI  stand out

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

Please put 5 guys in front of who ever wins the battle that gives us a chance.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

As long as the effects of Covid aren't as severe this year in cfb...things in theory should go far smoother in determining who wins the starting job...

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

I think this is the best group for QB competition that we have had since Q left.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

8 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

I think this is the best group for QB competition that we have had since Q left.

I think if there is anything we have learned since our inception is that groups do not really matter and we would be better served putting all of the talent in one basket. Hopefully there is one guy that makes the rest of the talent levels inconsequential.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

14 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I think if there is anything we have learned since our inception is that groups do not really matter and we would be better served putting all of the talent in one basket. Hopefully there is one guy that makes the rest of the talent levels inconsequential.

Of course that would be best. But at least the odds are better we will find that one if there are quality candidates.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

34 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

Of course that would be best. But at least the odds are better we will find that one if there are quality candidates.

Has that ever been the case for us? I think the old saying goes if you have 2 QBs then you have none, I would think that if you have five you are ******

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  424
  • Days Won:  1

I would like to see them redshirt McClain and let the rest of group battle it out, but would hope Scott can be a keen enough of an evaluator that he can name a starter before Week 12 of the regular season (sarcasm).

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

My hope is that someone runs away with it. However, if the season takes a turn for the worst by the midway point, I am fine going with the future (presumably McClain).