• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Let’s look at the offense . . .

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  353
  • Content Count:  4,090
  • Days Won:  56

I know there’s a lot of doom and gloom in the preseason predictions, but I don’t think we’re in as rough shape as most people think. Yes, there are plenty of question marks, but let’s take a look at the offense. This group is much better stocked with athletes than what Taggart had when he took over from Skip. Holtz left Willie with a team void of any speed or depth. I don’t think that’s the case here:

QB - ? But I like Noah Johnson and who’s to say McCloud won’t make a jump forward? Q was god awful in his one start as a freshman. Cade Fortin? Maybe.

RB - Joiner and Ford are capable but small; Felix may be better than both with more size. And we haven’t seen RS-F Josh Berry yet, either.

TE - Mathis and Brinkman are experienced and relatively proven.

WR - No one has broken out, but this is Scott’s wheelhouse and there are athletes here who’ve played snaps: St. Felix, McDoom, Weaver, Miller; and some interesting others who could emerge: Latrell Williams, Jaquez Evans, Terrence Horne, RS-F Logan Berryhill

OL - Three starters return - Jennings, Harris, Cecil - so you have to fill a couple holes and build depth. RS-F McDuffie, Blanchard and Hall were all decently regarded recruits and have the necessary size. Hopple and Wiggs are seniors who’ve seen snaps.

I’m not saying this group is anywhere near Q, Marlon, MVS and Rodney Adams, et al, but it’s an interesting lot that a good coaching staff and scheme might turn into something salvageable. Add your thoughts.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,845
  • Days Won:  67

14 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I know there’s a lot of doom and gloom in the preseason predictions, but I don’t think we’re in as rough shape as most people think. Yes, there are plenty of question marks, but let’s take a look at the offense. This group is much better stocked with athletes than what Taggart had when he took over from Skip. Holtz left Willie with a team void of any speed or depth. I don’t think that’s the case here:

QB - ? But I like Noah Johnson and who’s to say McCloud won’t make a jump forward? Q was god awful in his one start as a freshman. Cade Fortin? Maybe.

RB - Joiner and Ford are capable but small; Felix may be better than both with more size. And we haven’t seen RS-F Josh Berry yet, either.

TE - Mathis and Brinkman are experienced and relatively proven.

WR - No one has broken out, but this is Scott’s wheelhouse and there are athletes here who’ve played snaps: St. Felix, McDoom, Weaver, Miller; and some interesting others who could emerge: Latrell Williams, Jaquez Evans, Terrence Horne, RS-F Logan Berryhill

OL - Three starters return - Jennings, Harris, Cecil - so you have to fill a couple holes and build depth. RS-F McDuffie, Blanchard and Hall were all decently regarded recruits and have the necessary size. Hopple and Wiggs are seniors who’ve seen snaps.

I’m not saying this group is anywhere near Q, Marlon, MVS and Rodney Adams, et al, but it’s an interesting lot that a good coaching staff and scheme might turn into something salvageable. Add your thoughts.

I think this just further proves that this is not CWT in his first year, starting Matt Floyd and our top back was Marcus Shaw.  You pretty much nailed it, the only thing I would add is Thomas Nance deserves a mention (TE) as well (not as experienced as the other two but a talented freak) if not for any other reason except that Gatorbull thinks he is the next coming.  We have plenty of weapons and hopefully we get 6 wins, not entirely likely but possible.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

It's hard to rank positions because there are so many unknowns. The most solid position should be RB with 3 capable RBs. 

TE should be another good group again. 

Oline and WR are shakey, but St Felix is awesome. He had a disappointing year last year, but who didnt? He has the talent to be all conference. Maybe Horne returns to form. 

QB is a prayer and not getting much practice with the team together is going to give CJS a tough time evaluating 3 guys. I suspect the QB competition will carry over into midseason at least

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I hope to see more screen passes late in games. Assuming Ford is still around, and I have my doubts, he could be key here. I do want to see if McCloud made a step up...this is where no spring camp really hurts us. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

12 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I hope to see more screen passes late in games. Assuming Ford is still around, and I have my doubts, he could be key here. I do want to see if McCloud made a step up...this is where no spring camp really hurts us. 

I want to see McCloud improve also, but as a fan, I'm extremely worried if hes starting week 1. Do you think CJS splits QB work for the first few weeks? 

• Topic Count:  353
  • Content Count:  4,090
  • Days Won:  56

1 minute ago, WhoRUSF said:

I want to see McCloud improve also, but as a fan, I'm extremely worried if hes starting week 1. Do you think CJS splits QB work for the first few weeks? 

I’d be surprised if Noah wasn’t starting week one. You don’t come as a grad transfer and not start.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,403
  • Days Won:  5

some weapons and a lot of unknowns

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I’d be surprised if Noah wasn’t starting week one. You don’t come as a grad transfer and not start.

Agree with here Dave. They did bring him in for a reason and time is short. Hope he has mobility as this was needed last year. 

22 minutes ago, WhoRUSF said:

I am thinking the same but would just like to make sure. As Dave said there is a reason why Noah is here and he will get every chance to win the position. You do bring up a great question. Since we did not have a spring season Scott may have to get a look at both in game to make a decision. My guess is that they both play early in the season. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,330
  • Days Won:  10

6 hours ago, Friscobull said:

I think this just further proves that this is not CWT in his first year, starting Matt Floyd and our top back was Marcus Shaw.

God, for a young program we've had some challenging years.  I'd forgotten the details of those years.  Sometimes a bad memory is a mercy! 🤨