Leavitt wants Gators to come to Tampa

USFishin

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

TAMPA – In past years, the talk of the Florida Sports Writers Association’s College Football Media Days was Central Florida coach George O’Leary lobbying to USF and coach Jim Leavitt to continue playing their rivalry game every year.

Now, as the Bulls and Knights prepare to meet for the fourth and final time in Orlando on Sept. 6, Leavitt is the one publicly lobbying, asking Florida to come to Tampa and take on USF at Raymond James Stadium.

"Florida won’t come in here to Tampa," said Leavitt, whose team is scheduled to play the Gators in Gainesville in 2010 and 2015. "We haven’t been able to get that done. Before, I could understand why, because we were averaging probably 32 or 34,000. Now we’re selling out Raymond James."

Starting in 2009, USF will play Miami every year for five years, and Leavitt would like to see similar deals with Florida and Florida State, saying that his program shouldn’t be considered part of the state’s "Big Three" until they’ve beaten one of them.

"The Swamp, I’m sure that’s an exciting place to play. I haven’t been there," he said. "I’d love to see that happen in Tampa, too. We’ll see if that happens."

USF isn’t scheduled to play UCF again after this season, and Leavitt said his concern is playing too many state teams each season because of the high emotions those games bring.

-- Roster note: Linebacker Josh Soto, a linebacker at USF for two seasons, has transferred to Florida International. Soto, who did not play while at USF, will sit out the 2008 season and should have two years of eligibility with the Panthers.

July 17, 2008

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/07/leavitt-wants-g.html

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,642

i doubt they will ever come to ray jay

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Say they get beat in 2010 and USF opts out of the next game, you don't think UF would be looking for a rematch?  I think their ego would get the best of them and they would sign a 1 & 1, but I could be wrong.  I am not sure their boosters could handle the "scoreboard" comeback to every "USF is a directional... " line.

• Content Count:  760

Say they get beat in 2010 and USF opts out of the next game, you don't think UF would be looking for a rematch?  I think their ego would get the best of them and they would sign a 1 & 1, but I could be wrong.  I am not sure their boosters could handle the "scoreboard" comeback to every "USF is a directional... " line.

Exaclty. 2010 is a must win if we ever want to see the Gayterds in Tampa. Heck I'm not sure there are any openings in either teams schedule, but if we win I wouldnt be surprised if they want to play us before 2015. 5yrs of bragging rights would be tough for that craphole city to tolerate. Not to mention that would be 5 yrs of potential recruiting advantage. Imagine a kid being heavily recruited to UF and when he visits USF coach just says "Here watch this tape". That would be great.

• Content Count:  66,204
  • Days Won:  172

TAMPA – In past years, the talk of the Florida Sports Writers Association’s College Football Media Days was Central Florida coach George O’Leary lobbying to USF and coach Jim Leavitt to continue playing their rivalry game every year.

Now, as the Bulls and Knights prepare to meet for the fourth and final time in Orlando on Sept. 6, Leavitt is the one publicly lobbying, asking Florida to come to Tampa and take on USF at Raymond James Stadium.

"Florida won’t come in here to Tampa," said Leavitt, whose team is scheduled to play the Gators in Gainesville in 2010 and 2015. "We haven’t been able to get that done. Before, I could understand why, because we were averaging probably 32 or 34,000. Now we’re selling out Raymond James."

Starting in 2009, USF will play Miami every year for five years, and Leavitt would like to see similar deals with Florida and Florida State, saying that his program shouldn’t be considered part of the state’s "Big Three" until they’ve beaten one of them.

"The Swamp, I’m sure that’s an exciting place to play. I haven’t been there," he said. "I’d love to see that happen in Tampa, too. We’ll see if that happens."

USF isn’t scheduled to play UCF again after this season, and Leavitt said his concern is playing too many state teams each season because of the high emotions those games bring.

-- Roster note: Linebacker Josh Soto, a linebacker at USF for two seasons, has transferred to Florida International. Soto, who did not play while at USF, will sit out the 2008 season and should have two years of eligibility with the Panthers.

July 17, 2008

i HAVE BEEN WANTING PAM ANDERSON TO COME TO MY HOME

leavitt sounds foolish

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

Miami is the only "Big Three" school that has any balls. UF and wont come play us in our house (bc they know we would tear them apart at the RayJay) and FSU is too scared to play us. Props to UM. If the Gayturds had any nuts they would make it a fair 2 games...one in their house, one in ours.

• Content Count:  21,615
  • Days Won:  10

Why would they come to play us at our house.  Everything to loose and very little to gain. Redneck Gainsville will give them more money as the toothless will show up to support the gators.  In Tampa, it would be a sell out but that does not benefit them.  They should have scheduled us early so they could beat us, now they have a good chance of loosing.

• Content Count:  21,615
  • Days Won:  10

TAMPA In past years, the talk of the Florida Sports Writers Associations College Football Media Days was Central Florida coach George OLeary lobbying to USF and coach Jim Leavitt to continue playing their rivalry game every year.

"Florida wont come in here to Tampa," said Leavitt, whose team is scheduled to play the Gators in Gainesville in 2010 and 2015. "We havent been able to get that done. Before, I could understand why, because we were averaging probably 32 or 34,000. Now were selling out Raymond James."

Starting in 2009, USF will play Miami every year for five years, and Leavitt would like to see similar deals with Florida and Florida State, saying that his program shouldnt be considered part of the states "Big Three" until theyve beaten one of them.

"The Swamp, Im sure thats an exciting place to play. I havent been there," he said. "Id love to see that happen in Tampa, too. Well see if that happens."

USF isnt scheduled to play UCF again after this season, and Leavitt said his concern is playing too many state teams each season because of the high emotions those games bring.

July 17, 2008

i HAVE BEEN WANTING PAM ANDERSON TO COME TO MY HOME

leavitt sounds foolish

Classic pot calling the kettle black.  Smazza, wake up and smell what you are dishing.

• Content Count:  66,204
  • Days Won:  172

usf needs to accomplish something to warrant pne of best programs to come here

leavitt should say "bulls will play gators in gainsville every year"

• Content Count:  10,606
  • Days Won:  2

Why would they come to play us at our house.  Everything to loose and very little to gain. Redneck Gainsville will give them more money as the toothless will show up to support the gators.  In Tampa, it would be a sell out but that does not benefit them.  They should have scheduled us early so they could beat us, now they have a good chance of loosing.

Yeah I don't see them ever comming here unless we beat them the first game

Archived