• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt wants Gators to come to Tampa

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

Okay everyone lets think about this for a second.

Couple of points about UF Football:

• Has a high potential of selling out stadiums when they play
  • Limits the number of non-conference road trips as much as possible
  • Most recent national Champion from the state of Florida

But could there be a potential conspiracy theory why UF will not come to Tampa!

Go back to November 16, 2002 in Raymond James Stadium.  Bowling Green a recently ranked team came to Tampa and was defeated  23-7 by USF. Who was the coach of that Bowling Green team?

If you guessed Urban Meyer, you are correct.

Urban Meyer's team is set for a fast offense where as Jim Leavitt's team is a fast defense.  A fast offense can be negated by a fast defense (aka West Virginia). So when UF looks at a game in Tampa against USF they have to consider a record loss, loss of money and loss of recruits.

Wrong.  Jeremy Foley, the UF athletic director, plainly stated that UF has no interest coming to Tampa when the originally signed the deal for USF to play at UF.  That was before (sub)Urban Meyer went to UF.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,511

Lets put it this way since 1989. UF has only played ONCE away vs ANY nonconference team other than FSU and that was UM in 03 which they lost.

BZZZZZZZZZZZ...   Aw, Cuban. That was a good try, but I'm sorry.    [in my best game-show-host voice b/c I'm only playing]

Florida actually played at Syracuse in 1991 and lost.

Most of those years, Florida played 11 games... Since 1992 there were 8 SEC, 1 FSU- that only left 2 games to schedule for OOC... and since they could get teams to come to Gainesville for $$, they did it.

But now that they have 12 games, they can make more road trips those seasons when FSU comes to the Swamp.  They should be willing to play USF in Tampa...

Here is the list of OOC games outside of Gainesville or Tallahassee since 1975:

1975 - @ NC State

1975 - @ Miami

1976 - vs North Carolina @ Tampa

1976 - vs Miami @ Orlando

1977 - @ Rice

1977 - @ Miami

1978 - vs SMU @ Orlando

1979 - @ Houston

1979 - @ Miami

1980 - vs California @ Tampa

1980 - @ Georgia Tech

1981 - @ Miami

1982 - @ Tulane

1983 - @ USC

1984 - vs Miami @ Tampa

1986 - @ Rutgers - actually in Giants Stadium

1987 - @ Miami

1989 - @ Memphis

1991 - @ Syracuse

2003 - @ Miami

(UF played against Mississippi State in Tampa in 1989 and in Orlando in 1991)

You just gave proof that UF will not play an OCC game outside of Gainesville.  2003 - 1991 = 12 years.  Twelve freaking years.  They had plenty of chances in 12 years, but they did not.  They do not want to play an OCC game outside of Gainesville.  They make too much money in their home games.  They would rather play 2 or 3 cupcakes at home and make a lot of money than go on the road and play a tough OCC opponent.

Plain and simple.

• Content Count:  2,726

Here's what I'm thinking...

**** UF!!!

Lets win the Big East and go to the NC!!!

GO BULLS!!!

You just gave proof that UF will not play an OCC game outside of Gainesville.  2003 - 1991 = 12 years.  Twelve freaking years.  They had plenty of chances in 12 years, but they did not.  They do not want to play an OCC game outside of Gainesville.  They make too much money in their home games.  They would rather play 2 or 3 cupcakes at home and make a lot of money than go on the road and play a tough OCC opponent.

Plain and simple.

Exactly... from 1991 and before, they only played 6 conference games, which gave them 4 OOC games to schedule every year (FSU took one) -- so they almost had to travel for OOC.

But from 1992 until today, they have 8 SEC games...

• Content Count:  99

Lets put it this way since 1989. UF has only played ONCE away vs ANY nonconference team other than FSU and that was UM in 03 which they lost.

BZZZZZZZZZZZ...   Aw, Cuban. That was a good try, but I'm sorry.    [in my best game-show-host voice b/c I'm only playing]

Florida actually played at Syracuse in 1991 and lost.

Most of those years, Florida played 11 games... Since 1992 there were 8 SEC, 1 FSU- that only left 2 games to schedule for OOC... and since they could get teams to come to Gainesville for $$, they did it.

But now that they have 12 games, they can make more road trips those seasons when FSU comes to the Swamp.  They should be willing to play USF in Tampa...

Here is the list of OOC games outside of Gainesville or Tallahassee since 1975:

1975 - @ NC State

1975 - @ Miami

1976 - vs North Carolina @ Tampa

1976 - vs Miami @ Orlando

1977 - @ Rice

1977 - @ Miami

1978 - vs SMU @ Orlando

1979 - @ Houston

1979 - @ Miami

1980 - vs California @ Tampa

1980 - @ Georgia Tech

1981 - @ Miami

1982 - @ Tulane

1983 - @ USC

1984 - vs Miami @ Tampa

1986 - @ Rutgers - actually in Giants Stadium

1987 - @ Miami

1989 - @ Memphis

1991 - @ Syracuse

2003 - @ Miami

(UF played against Mississippi State in Tampa in 1989 and in Orlando in 1991)

You just gave proof that UF will not play an OCC game outside of Gainesville.   2003 - 1991 = 12 years.  Twelve freaking years.  They had plenty of chances in 12 years, but they did not.  They do not want to play an OCC game outside of Gainesville.  They make too much money in their home games.  They would rather play 2 or 3 cupcakes at home and make a lot of money than go on the road and play a tough OCC opponent.

Plain and simple.

Ummmmmm..... they play FSU away every other year.

Also I love the guy who said at least Ohio State plays tough OOC teams. Ohio state has no OOC rivals that it plays every year. It also plays in a much much much easier conference. If UF didn't play FSU every year I am sure they would mix it up and play some other schools. The routinely have one of the toughest schedules in the country. I don't get why people criticize their scheduling.

• Content Count:  742

The same reason that we do not want to play UCF anymore. Nothing to gain everything to loose.

Miami historically has been one of the only teams that will play anyone anywhere. USF needs to take the same stance in my opinion. If they are to scared to come to Tamplona then we will play you at your place.

Although I would require a home and home.

Jay

• Content Count:  14

Florida "afraid" to play USF?  Bruhahahahahaa...

• Content Count:  808

Florida "afraid" to play USF?  Bruhahahahahaa...

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you..."

• Content Count:  14

It's interesting how Florida gets criticized for their scheduling.  At the end of each year, we are always in the top 5-10 toughest schedules.  Yes, you wait until the end of the year to see how good a team really is; As usf fans, you learned that last year when ranked #2 and then got your lil asses tapped 3 games in a row.  Moreover, we seemed to fare well against OSU in the desert.  You were ranked #2 when everyone said you did not belong.  Hence, you did not. 

Scared to play in Tampa?  lol.  Yeah, I am sure Urban Meyer says Jim who?

PS - FSU is not in our conference idiots - it is an OOC. 

PPS - Can't wait for 2010. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,566
  • Days Won:  29

... Yeah, I am sure Urban Meyer says Jim who?

BULL Nation knows that Meyer is very familiar with Leavitt ... and playing(LOSING) to him in Tamplona.

Drain the swamp in 2010.

Go BULLS !!!

Archived