• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jeff Scott Salary Reduction

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

Wow that’s a big number by percentage especially when I doubt the contract covered a deduction in circumstances like these. I know people have pointed to other things as a sign of culture shift but it’s pretty easy to play lip service to the right platitudes and it’s a whole other thing to voluntarily come off of your wallet when you have a binding contract. Good on you CJS for being the change you want to see and not letting the entire budgetary axe fall on the non contracted employees as it so often does.  

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,324
  • Days Won:  10

Was that voluntary or part of a larger mandatory reduction in the Athletic dept. budget?  I thought that we had seen a proposed reduction for all personnel.

6 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

Was that voluntary or part of a larger mandatory reduction in the Athletic dept. budget?  I thought that we had seen a proposed reduction for all personnel.

When you have no contract your employment and your pay is at will. When you have a contract my approach for someone I didn’t intend to do future business would be you want to renegotiate? Sounds great I would love to get more money. Oh you meant less? Ya that’s not happening pay me the agreed amount or my lawyer will begin exercising our breach clauses.

USF athletic department announces layoffs, salary cuts due to coronavirus

The department’s highest-paid employees must take a 15% salary cut for the rest of the fiscal year
DFFE5LRNCNGOHKR2ZUL7UFMJT4.JPG

2 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

USF athletic department announces layoffs, salary cuts due to coronavirus

The department’s highest-paid employees must take a 15% salary cut for the rest of the fiscal year
DFFE5LRNCNGOHKR2ZUL7UFMJT4.JPG

Yes it says that they accepted them but legally they can’t be required to take less than their contract unless there was a triggered action in their contract. Salaried employees and hourly employees can be told every moment they work from this moment forward will be at whatever amount is unilaterally decided and their only option is to walk but when you have a contract you are getting paid the what was both agreed to for the period of time prescribed with the only outs being what is clearly defined with exact causes.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  483
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

Yes it says that they accepted them but legally they can’t be required to take less than their contract unless there was a triggered action in their contract. Salaried employees and hourly employees can be told every moment they work from this moment forward will be at whatever amount is unilaterally decided and their only option is to walk but when you have a contract you are getting paid the what was both agreed to for the period of time prescribed with the only outs being what is clearly defined with exact causes.

This is absolutely accurate. 

I just wondered, since they are public employees, how solid that contract is on points like that.  I worked in the public sector and when the Great Recession hit and budgets collapsed, union contracts got real pliable if a city or country declared a financial emergency.

It's a small point that I don't care about.  I just thought I had read that it wasn't going to be voluntary and would be department wide.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Screw the pay cut. He should tell them to pound sand. Why should he take a haircut in his pay when he's doing more work? Ridiculous.

41 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

Screw the pay cut. He should tell them to pound sand. Why should he take a haircut in his pay when he's doing more work? Ridiculous.

I’m assuming because of optics, maintaining the relationship and the fact that there are people directly and indirectly under his charge that have no option but to be impacted and that decision would increase the impact on them and further sour what is I’m sure a less than ideal work environment.