• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CJS “really pleased” with QB McCloud...

NewEnglandBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

• Topic Count:  487
  • Content Count:  12,550
  • Days Won:  25

I think McCloud was a LOT better this week delivering the ball. Yes, he bounced ONE and missed some that may or may not have been on him. I don't know what the receivers job was.

With that, IMO, he is extremely slow at decision making and holds the ball way to long. Holding the ball to long maybe because he doesn't make the decision. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  212
  • Content Count:  3,550
  • Days Won:  19

Let's just say that Coach has a rather unique vision.   That said there were signs of improvement against a terrible ECU team that we are looking up at with envy.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

His key flaws (which are really bad) don't look they are going to improve any time soon...fingers crossed that he gets better...this Saturday will be a good test....Temple isn't going to bring the house every other snap...Here is to hoping he can make quick reads when guys aren't running wide open...

Edited by DJBulls

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Show me against Temple and maybe I can start to believe...

• Upvote 2

• Content Count:  144
  • Days Won:  2

We played very poorly, but it wasn't McCloud that lost us that game. We did improve on offense, but you have to wonder how much of that was ECU leaving guys downfield uncovered while blitzing. Temple is going to play more balanced defense and take away some of those throws. I guess we'll find out soon enough if this performance was improvement or fluke. Very hard to tell right now imho.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

51 minutes ago, DJBulls said:

His key flaws (which are really bad) don't look they are going to improve any time soon...fingers crossed that he gets better...this Saturday will be a good test....Temple isn't going to bring the house every other snap...Here is to hoping he can make quick reads when guys aren't running wide open...

I haven't really paid much attention to Temple, but wouldn't any defensive coach take a look at what ECU did and turn up the volume on blitzes?

Until the OC starts putting in some plays that are designed to keep the defense honest (Like some screens and maybe draws/delays) I would think they would blitz all day.  I would expect them to challenge us to try to beat them by trying to throw downfield.  That part is on the coaching staff to put McCloud in the position to play winning football.

McCloud played decently.  At least he was able to complete some nice passes consistently.  Not sure if that translates into success in the W-L column, but at least has shown he can do the minimum.

• Content Count:  1,273

1 minute ago, usfgrad84 said:

I haven't really paid much attention to Temple, but wouldn't any defensive coach take a look at what ECU did and turn up the volume on blitzes?

Until the OC starts putting in some plays that are designed to keep the defense honest (Like some screens and maybe draws/delays) I would think they would blitz all day.  I would expect them to challenge us to try to beat them by trying to throw downfield.  That part is on the coaching staff to put McCloud in the position to play winning football.

McCloud played decently.  At least he was able to complete some nice passes consistently.  Not sure if that translates into success in the W-L column, but at least has shown he can do the minimum.

No...there were guys wide open...I would mix coverages in and occasionally blitz...because he is so indecisive that is all you have to do...do that and the stat line changes significantly...

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  812

We scored enough points to win the game... defense lost the game...

McCloud is not his brother Ray Ray but CJS is wearing rose colored glasses in this aspect.

Nonetheless....someone needs to be taking the lion's share of snaps in practice otherwise there will be no synergy.

We need to pick a recruit to lead the team... not a mercenary from the portal.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, BDYZR said:

I think McCloud was a LOT better this week delivering the ball. Yes, he bounced ONE and missed some that may or may not have been on him. I don't know what the receivers job was.

With that, IMO, he is extremely slow at decision making and holds the ball way to long. Holding the ball to long maybe because he doesn't make the decision. 

Your last sentence has a lot of truth. Honestly, he acts like he has a tough time picking out his receiver and..he throws a ball that many times looks like a wounded duck.  Plus, when he is in trouble he will roll left more times than not. easy for a D to watch film and chase him out of the pocket knowing which direction he has a tendency to go to. Yes, he did much better but..weve had glimpses of Fortin, Johnson, Walsh they fire the ball to their target(eh..walsh maybe wrong team but good pass)..