Jump to content
  • USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

    It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

  • Members do not see this ad, Register

  • Men's Basketball
    Bulls riding thirteen game winning streak
     

    Sat. 3/2, 4 pm

     
      1 2 Total  
    #25 Bulls 0 0 00  
    Charlotte 0 0 00  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPN+  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread - Tickets 
    Last:  Defeated SMU 79-68
     

Tampa Bay and Orlando sport talk radio


Recommended Posts


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  1,570
  • Reputation:   14
  • Days Won:  1
  • Joined:  08/22/2007

I live in Lakeland and drive to Haines City for work daily. So I get to hear both stations. There's a HUGE difference between the areas when it comes to the topic of Big 12 expansion. When Orlando two sports stations speak about UCF and the Big 12. It's like they're lobbying for the school. You listen to Tampa station and you get this sarcastic and negative tone.

"Like there's no way USF will be considered. They haven't been good for a long time. They're history too short. Top recruits don't consider them when picking schools. They don't have a on campus stadium. They don't feel the stadium. The men basketball program is under investigation." And the that really bothered me was Douchebag with the, " If USF got into the Big 12, they would be bottom feeders." The Tampa media is a joke sometimes.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,705
  • Reputation:   1,130
  • Days Won:  17
  • Joined:  09/07/2009

The afternoon co-host/producer on ESPN 580 in Orlando, Nick Gronowitz, is a USF alum who I believe called Bulls baseball games while at USF. Granted he doesn't drive the conversation, but he'll drop in a few good words for us from time to time which is admirable considering the market he is in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,587
  • Reputation:   2,649
  • Days Won:  28
  • Joined:  12/14/2005

17 minutes ago, bulldozier1 said:

I live in Lakeland and drive to Haines City for work daily. So I get to hear both stations. There's a HUGE difference between the areas when it comes to the topic of Big 12 expansion. When Orlando two sports stations speak about UCF and the Big 12. It's like they're lobbying for the school. You listen to Tampa station and you get this sarcastic and negative tone.

"Like there's no way USF will be considered. They haven't been good for a long time. They're history too short. Top recruits don't consider them when picking schools. They don't have a on campus stadium. They don't feel the stadium. The men basketball program is under investigation." And the that really bothered me was Douchebag with the, " If USF got into the Big 12, they would be bottom feeders." The Tampa media is a joke sometimes.

I also travel up and down I-4 for work and couldn't agree more.  The sports talk radio in this town dumps on USF any time they can.  In all fairness, lately we've been serving it up for them, but even so anytime they can hurl a disparaging remark or backhanded insult they take it.  The amount of air time in this market spent on the Rays is ridiculous.  A team 20 games under .500 with hardly anyone in the stands and you constantly hear from Marc Topkin, Orlando Estrata, and Kevn Cash on all the different shows.  They'll say the callers drive the show.  That's crap.  They force feed Rays coverage down our throat.  I just change the channel when I hear some idiot come on and talk about why the Rays lost another series.   Unfortunately, WDAE is the main player in this market and they are the flagship station for the Bucs, Rays, Lightening and Gators.  Hence, that's what drives their dialogue, callers or not.  Their on air personalities are lame.  The main thing they have going for them is their signal strength.  I'm in sales and drive throughout central Florida and pick up 620 just about everywhere.  This market needs competition with a good signal strength.  All of the competitors that have come and gone where on stations with weak signals.

  End Rant/

Time to get back on I-4 to see how the Rays are doing.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Reputation:   564
  • Days Won:  6
  • Joined:  10/14/2010

I have to agree, Orlando sports radio seems to be much more supportive about the College Sports goings on. I routinely hear UCF coaches, the AD,  the Orlando City former coach was a fixture, and he supported the local University verbally.

USF will  gain support with a good season this year. Radio is a bandwagon media IMO

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Reputation:   1,266
  • Days Won:  28
  • Joined:  07/12/2013

52 minutes ago, bulldozier1 said:

 And the that really bothered me was Douchebag with the, " If USF got into the Big 12, they would be bottom feeders." The Tampa media is a joke sometimes.

Wasn't there some of this when we went to the BE? How did that work out for them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest PCBull14
12 minutes ago, footnfan1 said:

I have to agree, Orlando sports radio seems to be much more supportive about the College Sports goings on. I routinely hear UCF coaches, the AD,  the Orlando City former coach was a fixture, and he supported the local University verbally.

USF will  gain support with a good season this year. Radio is a bandwagon media IMO

Doubt it these rats could careless about USF. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  960
  • Content Count:  9,755
  • Reputation:   590
  • Days Won:  9
  • Joined:  08/05/2005

UCF is the only game in town in Orlando, aside from the Magic.  I imagine this plays into it.  I doubt the stations over there were kind to them during the winless season last year. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Reputation:   448
  • Days Won:  0
  • Joined:  09/15/2012

9 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I finally had enough this morning. I was driving in listening to 620 WDAE and Ronnie and T-Cras. They started talking about the USF "typo" and how it shows how unprepared USF is for the Big 12 and is indicative of why they aren't considered a front runner for Big 12 expansion. I was able to get through and immediately held them and Joey Knight to task. I got a little harsh and called Fennely and Knight clowns (but it felt so good to do so) and I called out Joey Knight for choosing to tweet the photo of the DRAFT version of the document rather than the finished product. I also called him out for not touting all of the positives that USF listed in their Big 12 package and instead finding the one negative that he could harp on. I think I caught the hosts completely by surprise that they were pretty much speechless. I concluded by asking them to ask Joey Knight about his choice to post the draft rather than the final version. After they hung up they said that I should take that up with Knight and the TBT myself....that would work out really well. We have all seen what a smug, defensive ass Knight can be on Twitter. 

It did lead me to the conclusion that we have a duty as USF fans to help drive and steer (see what I did there) the conversation on local talk media. If we call in and keep it positive about USF it will force the hosts to talk about it more and become more educated. 

Good for you! Only way to have a change in direction is to lead the way. If more USF fans take a similar path to yours, then evenutally the local media will get the picture. But until that happens, they will continue with what they are currently doing. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Reputation:   8,834
  • Days Won:  344
  • Joined:  11/29/2009

18 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I finally had enough this morning. I was driving in listening to 620 WDAE and Ronnie and T-Cras. They started talking about the USF "typo" and how it shows how unprepared USF is for the Big 12 and is indicative of why they aren't considered a front runner for Big 12 expansion. I was able to get through and immediately held them and Joey Knight to task. I got a little harsh and called Fennely and Knight clowns (but it felt so good to do so) and I called out Joey Knight for choosing to tweet the photo of the DRAFT version of the document rather than the finished product. I also called him out for not touting all of the positives that USF listed in their Big 12 package and instead finding the one negative that he could harp on. I think I caught the hosts completely by surprise that they were pretty much speechless. I concluded by asking them to ask Joey Knight about his choice to post the draft rather than the final version. After they hung up they said that I should take that up with Knight and the TBT myself....that would work out really well. We have all seen what a smug, defensive ass Knight can be on Twitter. 

It did lead me to the conclusion that we have a duty as USF fans to help drive and steer (see what I did there) the conversation on local talk media. If we call in and keep it positive about USF it will force the hosts to talk about it more and become more educated. 

Well done!!!!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

It appears you are using ad blocking tools.  This site is supported through ads.  Please disable in order to enjoy full access to The Bulls Pen.  Registration is free and reduces ads.