• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,580
  • Days Won:  2

Instead we got a Willie

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,812
  • Days Won:  3

The question should be....if you knew what you know today would you still hire Willie as the HC ?

I think the answer would be an overwhelming NO.

Have you unlocked the ability to make decisions with the benefit of hindsight? i.e. time machines?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

The question should be....if you knew what you know today would you still hire Willie as the HC ?

It's not really viable question until he's gone .... Should Va Tech have hired Beamer, Memphis Fuente? And I'm sure the haters will chime in now as to how they know how this movie ends but the realty is, nobody KNOWS yet.

• Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  2,233
  • Days Won:  6

while this is true that "No One Knows Yet"   Many can make an educated guess based on several things:   the Performance the past 2 years, ( History is pretty telling and often repeats itself). Also we need to look at  potential based on what we have seen, who we have (players and coaches returning and who we lost), what other teams are losing and how they are performing,   and the upcoming schedule next year to get a gauge. Schedule is more difficult next year I would say   (FSU instead of Wisconsin,   MD on the road instead of at home, Cuse instead of NC State is a wash, Possibly playing Navy which runs a difficult offense to prepare for  for one week, , ECU on the Road instead of home, UCF on the road instead of home ,UConn on the road instead of home (could be cold weather game and we know our history in temps below  40 degrees)

I admit , I want Willy to succeed and prove me and others wrong,  I was a fan day one , the minute he was hired.   Unfort based on the performance, the musical QB's , numerous penalties, playing undisciplined,  really No growth to speak of other than the 4 Wins( which was clear it came from Much weaker competition, We barely beat SMU as well).  I don't think he turns it around. 

If he were to Hire a good O and D Coordinator, let them CALL THE PLAYS and just over see the game flow and stop with Cheesy Talk  and catch phrases,  Than he might get us to a bowl.   But I don't see him doing this, thus I don't see us going to a bowl next season.   He is his Own worst enemy and demonstrates some stubbornness.  Again Hoping Willy Proves me wrong and rights this team. Not expecting it though.

Edited by Dhambuc
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

No arguments for most of your applied logic there but bottom line, sports isn't an exact science and things can change in a year for no other obvious reason than it just can ... and right now that's all we as outsiders can hope for. I do believe that next year is make or break one for him with Harlan.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

It's not really viable question until he's gone .... Should Va Tech have hired Beamer, Memphis Fuente? And I'm sure the haters will chime in now as to how they know how this movie ends but the realty is, nobody KNOWS yet.

Agree Triple, but it's okay to answer that question based on the body of work so far. Is 6-18 what Doug and Judy had in mind when they brought him in? I can't think so..

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

Agree Triple, but it's okay to answer that question based on the body of work so far. Is 6-18 what Doug and Judy had in mind when they brought him in? I can't think so..

He was brought in, I believe, because in year 2 WKU won 7 games along with his local ties. In other words, a fast turn around. But a closer look at many of his wins were skin of the teeth I score games, some in OT. WKU, imo got better when he left.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  187
  • Days Won:  0

6-18 is one thing.  Barely winning some of those games against awful football programs and never being in many games that they lost is even worse.  Of the other 6-18 teams out there over the past two years USF would lose to most of them.

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

6-18 is one thing.  Barely winning some of those games against awful football programs and never being in many games that they lost is even worse.  Of the other 6-18 teams out there over the past two years USF would lose to most of them.

And looking at his wins at WKU:

2010 One decent win and the other in OT out of 2 wins that season.

2011 Two OT wins, 1 one score win out of 7 total wins.

2012 3 one score games (3 one score losses), 1 OT win (and 1 loss in OT) out of 7 wins. So 8 games his last season were 1 score games going either way.

His teams At WKU seem to not be able to win decidingly about half the time.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,701
  • Days Won:  53

douggone.jpg