Louisville to ACC

redfisher78

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

We are so royally screwed. Goes to show how powerful football is. It's driving conferences/revenue, not the academics which has been our administration's biggest blunder. We keep striving to be "elite" academically to "better our situation" when all it would've taken is investing in a good football coach and then we'd have plenty of money to better the academics.

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523

WVU paid what the owed when they left.

Correct as did/will Pitt/Cuse/TCU. The payment owed was $5mil, WVU/BE came to an agreement to have WVU pay another ~$16 mil to leave the conference prior to the 27 months as required. Pitt and Cuse has negotiated with BE that a total of $7 mil ($5 mil payment, $2 mil to get out 1 season early). Now it depends on if the RU and UL has to pay $5 million or $10 million buyout (when new contract took place), and then both schools will pay another $2 million on top of that to get out in 2014 which gives RU and UL 1 more year in conference.

They need to divide those fees among the original members who are left. Then we take that money and buy ourselves some good coaches to try and earn this conference some respect.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Bubba get over it. UA pres is not paying 50 million dollars to the ACC. He is isnt stupid

Well given that WVU got out of their clause then you might be right... but he will pay the fee whatever that may end up being.

ESPN reported that he was financing the departure of Maryland when the news broke.

No they didn't, they negotiated a sttlement and left earlier than the contract allowed. No where in the settlement deal are "exit fees" even mentioned.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2012/02/west-virginia-big-east-settlement-document-details/1#.ULZUjWc5v7M

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  130

It's over for the Bulls. Finito. We are the new FAU. In fact, screw it, let's start the Florida Undergraduate Conference Coalition (FUCC). We can have the aint division FAMU, Jacksonville, Bethune Cookman, University of North Florida and the taint division led by USF, UCF, FIU, FAU and the soon to be Florida Gulf Coast University program. I see automatic bids and bonuses for Skippy and Wooly.

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,085
  • Days Won:  11

It's over for the Bulls. Finito. We are the new FAU. In fact, screw it, let's start the Florida Undergraduate Conference Coalition (FUCC). We can have the aint division FAMU, Jacksonville, Bethune Cookman, University of North Florida and the taint division led by USF, UCF, FIU, FAU and the soon to be Florida Gulf Coast University program. I see automatic bids and bonuses for Skippy and Wooly.

would that be the Jacksonville Jaguars? :D

• Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

Assuming Pitt/Cuse/ND/RU/UL don't get to vote:

There are seven current BBall schools (PC/SJU/SHU/Nova/GTown/Marq/DeP)

There are four current FBall school (USF/UC/UConn/Temp).

If you need 2/3 to do anything drastic, the BBall schools can only get to 64%. If Temple doesn't get a full vote, the BBall schools can get to 70%.

That sounds about right to me. What benefit do the remaining basketball schools have to maintain the Big East? I suppose the money is still decent enough vs. the A10 or the Colonial.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Congrats to Louisville, but this isn't a game-changer for USF. We knew someone was leaving and it wouldn't be us. Maryland to the B10 WAS important because for the first time someone broke ranks in the ACC (prior to that, everytime the ACC looked threatened they made a strong play -- adding Pitt/Cuse, adding ND with raising buyout to $50M). We need one more round of defections before July and I think we'll be OK.

Its a bit of a game changer in that the Big East just lost one of the only 2 "big" football programs it had left. Losing UConn could be overcome. ECU is probably as good with a bigger fanbase. Losing Louisville (a likely preseason top 15/20 next year) hurts.

I think the comparison you raise b/w ECU & UConn doesn't factor in basketball. That is where all the value is in the BE. UConn is very attractive due to their BB program. Unfortunately compared to UConn we do not have much to offer other than a decent tv market, which the ACC probably already has between FSU and Miami.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  130

would that be the Jacksonville Jaguars? :D

It may as well be LOL

• Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  1,757

Bubba get over it. UA pres is not paying 50 million dollars to the ACC. He is isnt stupid

Well given that WVU got out of their clause then you might be right... but he will pay the fee whatever that may end up being.

ESPN reported that he was financing the departure of Maryland when the news broke.

No they didn't, they negotiated a sttlement and left earlier than the contract allowed. No where in the settlement deal are "exit fees" even mentioned.

http://content.usato.../1#.ULZUjWc5v7M

Right they paid what they owed. They paid half their exit fee up front. They paid their exit fee early and more money on top of to leave early. The issue here is people saying Maryland wont be paying 50 million. WVU paid more than there exit fee, to leave early

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820

The ONLY grounds Maryland and FSU will have to stand on is the fact the $50 mil was voted and both disapproved and therefore Maryland left within a year of vote. That is the whole stance. I think they get out closer to $25 mil.