Dawsey to Florida Sate

Guest War spear 17

Guest HowieP1
It is a risk taking LD...I believe his only other coaching has been in high school and as a grad assistant at LSU.  I wish him the best of luck though.

GO BULLS

I think they are more interested in his ability to attract top notch WR's to FSU, not only because he was a great FSU player but because he's played in the NFL. More and more Colleges are using former NFL players to attract recruits and they don't want to be left behind.

I have no idea whether he is a good coach or not, but I'm fairly certain his presence at USF has drawn the interest of recruits who might otherwise not have given us a second look.

Would Jessie Hester Jr even have us on his list, let alone give us an official vist with, if his dad wasn't also a former FSU and NFL player, if Dawsey wasn't here?

IN THE HUDDLE WITH: Jessie Hester

By Josh Giggey Florida Kids Writer

Date: Jul 18, 2004

Here is a look at one of the state's top rising senior receivers. Jessie Hester, Jr., takes his many talents and three years of varsity football experience from Wellington to Glades Central, where his father was once a star.

Josh Giggey, who runs 561sports.com, a Palm Beach County-based website, has been following high school sports throughout Florida over the past five years.

His insight into the game is among the best around, and his ability to evaluate talent has become recognized by coaches and players alike.

Josh will be hosting this IN THE HUDDLE SEGMENT for FloridaKids.us throughout the summer and into the season, giving you a unique perspective of some of the top athletes in Florida. We hope that you will enjoy and make use of his perspective.

Name: Jessie Hester Jr.

Position: WR

School: Glades Central

Height: 5-11

Weight: 165

STRENGTHS: Jessie Hester Jr. just flat out makes big plays. Ever since his freshman season where he led Palm Beach County in receiving he has been making plays. When he has the ball in his hands, he just pulls away from defenders. He may not run a great 40 at camps, but with the pads on and the ball in his hands he can fly. He’s a pretty good route runner, has good hands, but his forte is what he does after the catch. He’s also a major threat on both kickoff and punt returns.

NEEDS TO WORK ON: Jessie needs to get bigger and stronger. He’s spent a major part of the last 2 season injured and his small frame had a lot to do with that. Adding weight would also help with another area he needs help in, which is getting off the line of scrimmage. When the opposing corner is able to get his hands on Jessie, he usually does not make the play.

OVERALL: Hester makes as many big plays as any WR in the state. Any time he touches the ball, he’s got a chance to take it to the house. That is the first thing that jumps out at you when you see him, and that is what is going to earn him some major D-1 looks. The level of his dedication to the weight room and to the coaches will ultimately determine his success at the next level, but he certainly has a lot of tools to work with.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Apis Bull

• dabull80

• Bullpride08

• The_Reaper

Guest True Bulliever

Looks like LD is staying:

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/12/01/Sports/Dawsey_more_excited_w.shtml

..."I've got a great group of young kids to work with," he said. "They've got a lot of potential and I'm looking forward to working with them again."

The Florida State alum has heard his name as a popular choice to join Bobby Bowden's staff in Tallahassee, but he wants to put that rumor to rest.

"There's nothing to that," he said. "Fans are disappointed in how things are going on the offense up there. I've been here in Tampa ever since I got drafted by the Bucs. This is home."

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

we needed to seriously upgrade receivers coach

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

Hurting the guys hands> Crap!!! You have to catch anyball, any speed if you want to play D1.   Maybe that's it this year folks, we're too soft on the players? Who the hell knows! This year has become a joke! Let's hope for much better next year, or WE could be in the same boat financially for our football as FAMU!

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

smart man go to BE where you can shine (and may move up in the coaching ranks) not fsu with miami and vatach on you every year

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

OOPS! SORRY WarSchmere17 looks like our "babysittin" proved to be the real deal.  So sorry he won't be joinin the posse in Redneckville.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

we needed to seriously upgrade receivers coach

You're wrong on this one Steve.  Trust me on this one Lawrence Dawsey was the best thing that happened to USF at WR coach.  The problem's with our WR's is we had four years of an atrocious coach in Pajic.  This guy was bad, come on Terry back me up on this one.   Give Dawsey a year to recruit, and a full year to coach these players.  You're going to see dramatic things from Garris, Green, Chambers, Edwards, and Peyton- provided the QB can consistently deliver them the ball.  Mark my words, and the WR's he may have coming in this spring are even more dynamic.

LD was a coup for USF.  His problem is he's spent the last seven months cleaning up the mess that Pajic left him.  What he left him were marginal blockers, guys that never consistently ran good patterns, had bad hands, were weak off the blocks and shedding defenders.  The first step was cleaning all that up, and getting the guys to be technically sound.  The next step is making them into playmakers and ball handlers.

Rome isn't built in a day especially after Pajic was in-charge.

Hurting the guys hands> Crap!!! You have to catch anyball, any speed if you want to play D1.   Maybe that's it this year folks, we're too soft on the players? Who the hell knows! This year has become a joke! Let's hope for much better next year, or WE could be in the same boat financially for our football as FAMU!

????  Or this is the year that adversity demonstrate's what some fans are made of.

Work with a jug machine before?  I'm willing to bet every receiver in the country that's worked with it has jammed at least one finger.   Not the most effective tool, and can be somewhat demoralizing if you're still trying to improve your hands.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,503

I never injured a finger before when working the jug machine but a couple of times I got slapped.  Sorry couldn't help myself, at least I didn't include something about Hooters girls.

I never injured a finger before when working the jug machine but a couple of times I got slapped.  Sorry couldn't help myself, at least I didn't include something about Hooters girls.

Ohhhh, you worked with the JUGS Machine...you need two of those to have fun. ;D  The bigger the jugs machine the better the action.