• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Inks Trey Moss During Early Signing Period

Triple B

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,626
  • Content Count:  75,176
  • Days Won:  429

TAMPA, NOV. 11, 2020 – University of South Florida head men's basketball coach Brian Gregory announced on Wednesday that Trey Moss (Windermere, Fla.) has signed a National Letter of Intent on the first day of the early signing period.  

A 6-foot-3 point guard at Windermere High School, Moss is a three-star prospect who chose USF over Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, Dayton and Temple. He is ranked as the No. 2 point guard and the 17th-best player in the state of Florida in the class of 2021 by Florida Hoops recruiting services.

Moss is also ranked as high as the No. 22 point guard in the nation by Corey Evans of Roundball Rundown. 

Rest of story ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,295
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

TAMPA, NOV. 11, 2020 – University of South Florida head men's basketball coach Brian Gregory announced on Wednesday that Trey Moss (Windermere, Fla.) has signed a National Letter of Intent on the first day of the early signing period.  

A 6-foot-3 point guard at Windermere High School, Moss is a three-star prospect who chose USF over Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, Dayton and Temple. He is ranked as the No. 2 point guard and the 17th-best player in the state of Florida in the class of 2021 by Florida Hoops recruiting services.

Moss is also ranked as high as the No. 22 point guard in the nation by Corey Evans of Roundball Rundown. 

Rest of story ...

Wow, sounds like a baller. I like to see when we can keep local players (aka guys from the state of Florida) here in town.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Coach Gregory is moving us forward. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Again, this ^^^^^^^^  was a nonissue in 2019

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  212
  • Content Count:  3,550
  • Days Won:  19

19 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

The critical questions is, has Gregory recruited the type of players where he is now comfortable with running his offense for a full a full 40 minutes, and not for 30-35 minutes we have seen and then only run one play down the stretch.

Does he have trust in the players he has recruited to let them run offense at the end of games? 

A.  I think this recruit from the lovely village of Windermere is a pretty good get.

B.  As in-game coaching goes, I think Coach Gregory has been one of the better examples in USF men's basketball's history (not that we have had that many sterling examples over the years).

and 

C.  During my short (almost) half century of watching USF basketball, I am usually more concerned that (i) our players can stay healthy, (ii) our players can stay out of jail, (iii) our players can stay out of the doghouse and (iv) we can get something even resembling quality point guard play or outside shooting prowess.   If BCG can get the team to deliver on most of that, I would be happy.

17 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Again, this ^^^^^^^^  was a nonissue in 2019

BS, we lost 17 games last season and every one can be attributed to the offense called at the end of the games .... not the players execution, not the opposing team making plays .... nothing but CBG's play calling.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Bingo!

Boingo!

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

2 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

If by "nonissue" you mean that we blew 11 second half leads, many of them late in games and some that were double digit leads, because we ran the same drive to the right play off a high pick into the heart of the defense the last 5 minutes of games, then yes by all means its a "nonissue" lol

No, I mean that in the season ending in 2019 when he had his go to player it was a nonissue ..... .. and that was the go to play for Collins and Rideau for 40 minutes both seasons but carry on WPOTB

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

23 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

If you have no 'go to" player then whose fault is that? And if you are telling me that Yetna is your only "go to" player you've recruited/developed then CBG had all season to figure that one out. And because of that failure, there were two big takeaways that exposed how poor of a game manager he is:

• He ran a more-than-competent offense for the first 30+ minutes of games, so all he needed to do what trust what he had designed and what his players had done, and play the last 5-10 minutes like the prior 30-35 minutes. He had a successful game plan then his butthole puckered up. 
  • After about the 5th blown lead of the season, where he exclusively ran Collins and Rideau off of high screens in the last 5 minutes of games, he should have realized that plan late in games DOES NOT WORK. And then he should have adjusted and done something else. Instead he did it another 7 times and lost all of them.

My original point is this - I hope he has recruited the types of players he is now comfortable with running his offense for a full 40 minutes, otherwise the players he has assembled. CBG strikes me as a guy who lacks confidence in his ability to manage games late, based on his reluctance to trust what has worked for the majority of the game, and for the inexplicable decision to continue pivot to a game plan where he thinks going 1-on-5 is his best option. 

Full disclosure, I probably haven't watched enough games to evaluate Gregory's coaching ability. But simply from seeing the players we had, and knowing we lost close games. The guards were probably getting tired from not having a good big man. When your team is getting outrebounded, the guards have to put more energy off the ball, which can hurt their offensive output (especially late in the game). 

These teams have talent again, which is something we have been missing for big chunk's of USF's basketball history, so in coach Gregory I trust. For now. 

Edited by WhoRUSF
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,899
  • Content Count:  66,110
  • Days Won:  172

1 hour ago, WhoRUSF said:

Full disclosure, I probably haven't watched enough games to evaluate Gregory's coaching ability. But simply from seeing the players we had, and knowing we lost close games. The guards were probably getting tired from not having a good big man. When your team is getting outrebounded, the guards have to put more energy off the ball, which can hurt their offensive output (especially late in the game). 

These teams have talent again, which is something we have been missing for big chunk's of USF's basketball history, so in coach Gregory I trust. For now. 

sounds like a lack of talent issue