Jump to content
  • USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

    It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

  • Members do not see this ad, Register

USF athletic department announces layoffs, salary cuts due to coronavirus


Recommended Posts


  • Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,607
  • Content Count:  74,386
  • Reputation:   10,726
  • Days Won:  422
  • Joined:  11/25/2005

Published 14 minutes ago
Updated 8 minutes ago

USF has become the latest collegiate athletic department forced to enact significant budget cuts in response to the coronavirus, announcing the elimination of 30 positions Thursday.

Additionally, across-the-board furloughs or pay reductions — ranging from 2%-15% — for all salaried employees have been implemented for the remainder of the fiscal year.

“Today is a day I hoped would never come,” athletic director Michael Kelly said in a university statement. "But the budget realities that have been exacerbated by the pandemic have caused us to reach this point.

“We have tremendously talented and hard-working people and they are a treasured resource, but we simply are not able to align our budget with current revenue projections without making extremely difficult and painful decisions that unfortunately negatively impact our staff and their families.”

Rest of article

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Reputation:   8,834
  • Days Won:  344
  • Joined:  11/29/2009

I feel bad for them all. Hopefully they can return or find employment elsewhere soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,607
  • Content Count:  74,386
  • Reputation:   10,726
  • Days Won:  422
  • Joined:  11/25/2005

I'm holding my breath until Mr Lewis pops back in ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  2,502
  • Reputation:   820
  • Days Won:  3
  • Joined:  11/30/2018

If they were laid off, does it mean that they can be brought back back on if the financial situation improves?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,607
  • Content Count:  74,386
  • Reputation:   10,726
  • Days Won:  422
  • Joined:  11/25/2005

1 hour ago, Peatearpan said:

If they were laid off, does it mean that they can be brought back back on if the financial situation improves?

I think that would describe the furloughed positions, maybe. Sounds like the eliminated positions may be a bit more long term than those and a longer ways off to being brought back, if at all ....

After a thorough evaluation of the financial impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, USF Athletics announced Thursday a series of department-wide budget reduction measures that include the elimination of 30 positions and salary reductions or furloughs of varying levels for all salaried athletic department staff members for the remainder of the fiscal year. 

.....

While our sacrifice is shared, my heart breaks, especially for those colleagues whose jobs have been eliminated."
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  2,502
  • Reputation:   820
  • Days Won:  3
  • Joined:  11/30/2018

10 hours ago, Triple B said:

I think that would describe the furloughed positions, maybe. Sounds like the eliminated positions may be a bit more long term than those and a longer ways off to being brought back, if at all ....

After a thorough evaluation of the financial impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, USF Athletics announced Thursday a series of department-wide budget reduction measures that include the elimination of 30 positions and salary reductions or furloughs of varying levels for all salaried athletic department staff members for the remainder of the fiscal year. 

.....

While our sacrifice is shared, my heart breaks, especially for those colleagues whose jobs have been eliminated."
 

Oof. That last line really hits hard. I always thought of furloughed employees as people who still have to work, but their pay, or a portion of it, is held off until a later period in time when the financial picture is rosier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,742
  • Reputation:   913
  • Days Won:  17
  • Joined:  02/17/2002

13 hours ago, Triple B said:
Published 14 minutes ago
Updated 8 minutes ago

USF has become the latest collegiate athletic department forced to enact significant budget cuts in response to the coronavirus, announcing the elimination of 30 positions Thursday.

Additionally, across-the-board furloughs or pay reductions — ranging from 2%-15% — for all salaried employees have been implemented for the remainder of the fiscal year.

“Today is a day I hoped would never come,” athletic director Michael Kelly said in a university statement. "But the budget realities that have been exacerbated by the pandemic have caused us to reach this point.

“We have tremendously talented and hard-working people and they are a treasured resource, but we simply are not able to align our budget with current revenue projections without making extremely difficult and painful decisions that unfortunately negatively impact our staff and their families.”

Rest of article

Self inflicted wounds, it's sad so many have lost their jobs over an illness with such a high survivability rate.

  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,905
  • Reputation:   2,211
  • Days Won:  12
  • Joined:  06/11/2010

I wish I could give more. I am sticking with my Bulls Club contributions... and if you haven't yet, please consider giving to USF Athletics. Can be as little as a couple bucks, and some employers even match starting at 25 bucks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  12,123
  • Reputation:   3,127
  • Days Won:  25
  • Joined:  10/16/2017

I already donated my season tickets and a few hundred on top of that. Many of us are donating a personal amount  per win. If any of you want to join us to celebrate and support the bulls you should consider it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Tell a friend

    Love TheBullsPen.com? Tell a friend!
  • South Florida Fight Song

     

  • Quotes

    "They picked us at the bottom. We're trying to get to the top. We're looking forward to the future, not backward.''

    Vincent Davis, USF JR. DB  

  • Files

  • Recent Achievements

    • rylie earned a badge
      First Post
    • rylie earned a badge
      Reacting Well
    • USFWiz earned a badge
      First Post
    • Erica Wright earned a badge
      First Post
    • Red319 earned a badge
      First Post
  • Popular Contributors

  • Quotes

    "I know we are not completely out of the woods yet, but we feel like we can see the light at the end of the tunnel"

    Jeff Scott  

×
×
  • Create New...

It appears you are using ad blocking tools.  This site is supported through ads.  Please disable in order to enjoy full access to The Bulls Pen.  Registration is free and reduces ads.