• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

DE Tyrik Jones enters transfer portal

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

18 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Ah, got it. Didn't see that part. I was wondering if you were maybe referring to the new punter commit putting in some time at DE. He's the perfect size for a speedy edge rusher ...... Honestly, I don't think the two player movements are related, just coincidental. Punter just appears to be part of the 2021 signing class as an early enrollee.

My question had to do with losing a DE.  I thought from reading stuff this off season that it wasn't a position of strength or numbers.  Is this a big loss?  I have no idea.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,459
  • Days Won:  422

34 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

My question had to do with losing a DE.  I thought from reading stuff this off season that it wasn't a position of strength or numbers.  Is this a big loss?  I have no idea.

It is a pretty big loss and not sure why someone hasn't brought this up sooner ...... especially when we have a thread on Kirk Rygol entering the portal.

Going to pull these out and set up new thread.

ByWill Turner  May 18, 3:59 PM
  • 9770498.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320
USF defensive end Tyrik Jones has entered the transfer portal. (Photo: Will Turner, 247Sports)

For the third time in a week, the USF Bulls have lost a player to the NCAA transfer portal. A source confirmed to Bulls247 on Monday that rising senior defensive end Tyrik Jones has entered the transfer portal.

Jones played in seven games in 2019 and registered six tackles and a sack, which came against Georgia Tech at the start of September.

He was stuck behind Kirk Livingstone, Greg Reaves and Darius Slade on the depth chart this past season, but considering all three graduated, he was expected to have a larger role heading into the spring season, which was ultimately canceled after just one practice. Jones was the lone senior in that position room.

A three-star recruit coming out of Arizona Western College in the 2019 recruiting class, he chose the Bulls over a verbal offer from Hawaii. He was ranked as the No. 12 junior college weak-side defensive end, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings. He originally signed with Bowling Green.

USF was set to return just four sacks along the defensive line. That number shrinks to three with the departure of Jones.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,513
  • Days Won:  28

I had him as a possible starter this year. Maybe they are planning on moving Thomas Nance or Chris Carter back to DE. Either way we need another DE. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

The transfer portal giveth and the transfer portal taketh away. Does this change our portal winner status?

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

The transfer portal giveth and the transfer portal taketh away. Does this change our portal winner status?

If our winning status withstood Rygol leaving, this should be just a blip ...

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,831
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

ByWill Turner  May 18, 3:59 PM
  • 9770498.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

USF defensive end Tyrik Jones has entered the transfer portal. (Photo: Will Turner, 247Sports)

For the third time in a week, the USF Bulls have lost a player to the NCAA transfer portal. A source confirmed to Bulls247 on Monday that rising senior defensive end Tyrik Jones has entered the transfer portal.

Jones played in seven games in 2019 and registered six tackles and a sack, which came against Georgia Tech at the start of September.

He was stuck behind Kirk Livingstone, Greg Reaves and Darius Slade on the depth chart this past season, but considering all three graduated, he was expected to have a larger role heading into the spring season, which was ultimately canceled after just one practice. Jones was the lone senior in that position room.

A three-star recruit coming out of Arizona Western College in the 2019 recruiting class, he chose the Bulls over a verbal offer from Hawaii. He was ranked as the No. 12 junior college weak-side defensive end, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings. He originally signed with Bowling Green.

USF was set to return just four sacks along the defensive line. That number shrinks to three with the departure of Jones.

What a photo, that was the highlight of the SMU game, that was the play we almost got a hand on their QB, unfortunately he had jumped off sides.  Hopefully ESPN shows a replay of that game so we can relive the magic.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

So we already know the dline may be an issue. Our front 7 has been shaky the last couple of seasons. Seems like we are one injury away from being sol again

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,831
  • Days Won:  67

1 minute ago, Roaming Bull said:

So we already know the dline may be an issue. Our front 7 has been shaky the last couple of seasons. Seems like we are one injury away from being sol again

If we stay healthy we are already very thin, an injury would make us anorexic.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

14 minutes ago, Triple B said:

If our winning status withstood Rygol leaving, this should be just but a blip ...

Thank G-d I had already signed off on the trophy I was getting made to send over to @NewEnglandBull