• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Men's Golf Reloading

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

USF golf is getting a great transfer, Jimmy Jones Jr, who will be eligible immediately.

SoFloBulls.com | 
Standout Golfer Jimmy Jones Taking Talents to USF SoFloBulls.com (596x320)Jimmy Jones said Monday that he is transferring to the University of South Florida from Florida Southern for his junior season this fall.

“I’m heading to USF next year,” Jones said Monday following the final round of the Youth Villa Classic in Bartow, where he finished second for the second straight year.

Jones, who helped Florida Southern reach the semifinals of the NCAA Division II Men’s Golf Championships in May, was wearing a South Florida Bulls cap during the tournament Monday.

“After I won the New Year’s Invitational (in St. Petersburg), I explored my options a little bit,” Jones said. “I thought that if I want to make it to the next level and play pro, I need to be playing against the best guys every week.

“There’s nothing against Doug (Florida Southern coach Doug Gordin), nothing against the team,” he said. “I love the team. Everything was awesome in Lakeland.”

Jones, a Tampa native, made the decision based on competing full time against a Division I schedule.

“That’s what’s going to improve my game, playing against guys that are essentially better than I am,” Jones said. “I just think that’s what’s going to make my game excel.”

Jones will be eligible to play for the Bulls this coming season.

“We did not stand in his way from transferring,” Gordin said. “He’s got an opportunity at the University of South Florida. We just wish him the best.”

Gordin formally released Jones, allowing him to play this fall. Had Florida Southern not released Jones, he would have had to sit out a full year.

Losing Jones is a significant setback for Florida Southern. Continue Reading by Clicking Here

by Del Milligan | TheLedger.com

Jones is playing this week in the Florida Am where he is the defending champ. Two other USF players are also competing there.

1. ClpghCCVYAAzZ_Q.jpg
    1 retweet11 likes

Retweet

More
  2. Good luck to @CDiMarco_ @Jimmy_Jones91 and Andre Leveque at the FL State Am this week.

Live Scoring: https://www.ghintpp.com/fsga/TPPOnlineScoring/ResultsStroke.aspx?id=163

After two rounds, Jones is currently in 3rd place.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Love that he's a Tampa native, great to see talent come home.

After three rounds:

T2 Jimmy Jones, Jr.

T8 Chris DiMarco

T40 Andre Leveque (incoming freshman)

Also, Kyle Kidd T-15, who had tweeted that he had committed to USF last year, but transferred out before the spring term and is now at Colorado State. I don't think USF ever issued a release on his commitment. I'm not sure why he transferred. If he had stayed, after red-shirting, he probably would have had a chance to start. I had wondered what had happened to him.

Story on his transfer which mentions USF: 

CSU men's golf adds transfer Kyle Kidd to team

Coloradoan staff12:53 a.m. MST January 6, 2016

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/college/csu/2016/01/05/csu-mens-golf-adds-transfer-kyle-kidd-team/78310086/

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Anyone know why this kid had to take the circuitous route to USF by going to Florida Southern first?

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

I know it's all about football/baseball/basketball, but this is quite impressive. It must be the  Bulls Van they transport in!!!!  No joke, impressive.

Final:

5th Chris DiMarco. Speaking of transfers, he originally signed with Kentucky.

T6th  Jimmy Jones, Jr.

T38  Andre Leveque.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

18 hours ago, footnfan1 said:

I know it's all about football/baseball/basketball, but this is quite impressive. It must be the  Bulls Van they transport in!!!!  No joke, impressive.

They earned it--one of the most consistently good teams in our portfolio.

I think it should be mentioned that Aksel Olsen, still playing as an amateur, placed second this past weekend in the Boore Open of the Nordic Golf League, which is a professional tourney. He was one of only four players in that event to earn World Golf ranking points. Congrats on his great showing.

• NGL%20Logo.ashx?w=0&h=52&la=en

Borre Open

26TH JUNE 2016 - Strength of Field 0

Pos Ctry Name R1 R2 R3 R4 Agg Ranking Points
1 NOR Jarand Ekeland Arnoy 65 69 68 - 202 4
2 NOR Aksel Kristoffer Olsen 66 66 72 - 204 2.4
T3 NOR Sondre Erevik Ronold 68 69 68 - 205 1.4
T3 SWE Mikael Lindberg 70 68 67 - 205 1.4
T5 DEN Martin Amtkjaer 68 70 68 - 206 0

http://www.owgr.com/Events/EventResult.aspx?eventId=6265

Tampa native Jimmy Jones has joined the USF men's golf program after shining for Florida Southern College.

BULLS ADD TWO-TIME ALL-AMERICAN JONES TO ROSTER

June 27, 2016

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

TAMPA, JUNE 27, 2016 – Head coach Steve Bradley has brought in a two-time All-American from Tampa for the upcoming season.

Bradley has announced transfer Jimmy Jones has joined the Bulls after becoming a 2016 Division II PING First-Team All-American. The former Florida Southern College and Freedom High School standout will be a junior in 2016-17.

FYUSCHACHZVAEIE.20160627155729.jpg

“It’s nice to have somebody from Tampa playing golf for the hometown school at USF,” Bradley said. “More importantly, he’s turned into a pretty good player. He’s a perfect example of someone who went to another place, played for a good coach, played a lot and just got better.”

Jones turned in seven top-10 finishes in 13 events this past season while helping FSC advance to the NCAA Championship match play semifinals. The semifinalist for the 2016 Division II Jack Nicklaus Player of the Year Award posted a 72.87 scoring average in 35 rounds as a sophomore. The 6-foot-2 business major earned PING All-America honorable mention honors as a freshman.

“Jimmy is a big, strong kid that’s still learning the nuances of golf and how to manage himself, his emotions and the course,” Bradley said. “He’s pure, raw and athletic, and he hits the ball a long way.”

Jones, Freedom High’s Athlete of the Year in 2014, qualified for the 2015 U.S. Amateur Championships by winning the Florida State Amateur Championship in a sudden death playoff last summer. Jones tied for sixth at the Florida State Amateur this summer and won the New Year’s Invitational in January after defeating three others in a playoff at St. Petersburg Country Club.

“We’re really, really excited about what he’s going to bring to the table. I know he’s excited to a Bull,” Bradley said.

USF men’s golf returns four of seven players from the 2015-16 team that made program history with a return trip to the NCAA Championship. The Bulls have won the past two American Athletic Conference Championships in head coach Steve Bradley’s first two seasons with the program. Follow @USFMGolf on Twitter for the latest information concerning the program.

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Won Jun Lee (2017) commits to South Florida

South Florida head coach Steve Bradley has put together quite the one-two punch in his Class of 2017 recruiting class.

The Bulls already have a verbal commitment from Chile’s Joaquin Niemann, the world’s eighth-ranked amateur. And on Wednesday, they added one from Won Jun Lee of Wesley Chapel, Fla.

Lee, who is from Seoul, South Korea, announced the news early Thursday morning on his Facebook:

“Time to let everyone know that I verbally committed to play golf at USF,” Lee wrote. “I’m so excited for this opportunity, and I hope I can achieve the goal with the teammates. Couldn’t have done it without all the supporters!”

Lee is ranked fifth in the Golfweek/Sagarin Junior Rankings, third in the Class of 2017. He is the 79th-ranked amateur in the world. Among his accomplishments on the golf course: he is twice a quarterfinalist at the U.S. Junior Amateur, in 2015 and ’16; he advanced to the semis in 2015.

http://www.golfweek.com/2016/08/25/college-golf-recruiting-won-jun-lee-2017-commits-south-florida/

Edited by Dogma
  • Upvote 1