• Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,166
  • Days Won:  109

"I really like the fight in our group"

a) Skip Holtz

B) Stan Heath

c) past Manager of the Year Joe Maddon

d) Willie Taggart

If you answered a, b or c you would probably be correct. The latest one to say it was Joe Maddon after yesterday's loss.  However when a or b said it our fellow Bullspenners thought that it was just coming from a loser coach making excuses.  My point being that even in a loss you can like how your guys competed and the effort they made.  Also, and I'm guessing here, Taggart has never said it and most times threw his players under the bus last year IMO.

So let's hear how bad a coach Joe Maddon is and that I'm comparing apples and oranges.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CousinRicky

• zarnozdabull

• Raetus

• JTrue

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

a said it all the time.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

a) Skip Holtz

B) Stan Heath

d) Willie Taggart

If you answered a, b or c you would probably be correct. The latest one to say it was Joe Maddon after yesterday's loss.  However when a or b said it our fellow Bullspenners thought that it was just coming from a loser coach making excuses.  My point being that even in a loss you can like how your guys competed and the effort they made.  Also, and I'm guessing here, Taggart has never said it and most times threw his players under the bus last year IMO.

So let's hear how bad a coach Joe Maddon is and that I'm comparing apples and oranges.

There are some crazy-weird jumps of logic and assumptions in this this; quite frankly, I don't even get the point of this post. 

Are you asking us to compare a MLB manager who's been with the Rays for something like seven years to a NCAA D-1 Football coach who's been with a struggling team for a little over a year? I don't think that you're comparing apples and oranges, so much, as you're comparing apples and wombats.

a) Started with team in 2010; First HC pos. in 1994

B) Started with team in 2007; First HC pos. in 2001

c) Started with team in 2006; First Manager pos. in 1996

Willie Taggart started with USF in Dec. 2012 and his first HC position was in 2010. He was still a college QB when Holtz and Maddon started their head careers. The other three have an average of 17 years worth of heading coaching seasons as opposed to Taggart's 3. Since we're playing the assumption game, I'm going to assume that when you have almost two decades worth of seasons, there are probably more chances to utter quotes that fit your arbitrary and niched soundbite requirements than in three years worth of it -- that's also without factoring in the fact that basketball plays far more games than football and baseball plays QUITE a lot more than both of them combined.

If you're faulting Taggart for his statistical disadvantage in the soundbite game, then I'm in complete agreement; if not, then I don't understand what you are trying to argue -- at least if it was supposed to make sense, that is.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Professional baseball is a 162 game marathon. You must keep an even keel as it is a DAILY grind. A 60% career win percentage sends a manager to the HOF.

CFB is a 12 game sprint that includes a couple cupcakes on the schedule. A 60% win percentage eventually gets the coach fired.

My favorite thing about CWT is that he has made losing uncomfortable for the players again.

Skip was soft. . . . . He gave the players rope and they hung him with it. I hope he learned because he might be a good coach.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

Don't get me wrong, Heath and Holtz were nothing but class acts at USF and I liked them both. I think that both of them, though, had lost control of their locker rooms but it completely different fashions. They're both good people and they will be fine as they continue on with their careers.

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,678
  • Days Won:  25

Throwing them under "the bus" or letting them know exactly what it takes to get on? Not everyone is going to agree with a coaches tactics unless they work.

This off-season the players seem to have made the effort to not be called out again. I'm hoping/thinking it worked.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,005
  • Days Won:  4

Well, nobody wants to lose. Nobody sets out to lose.  And we like to try and take something positive from a losing experience. It sounds a lot better to say "I like the fight in our group" than "Thank god the competition took their foot off the gas".  Even then, in the world where your determining metric is wins versus losses, just saying you like the  fight in your team doesn't really do much. S'pose you continue to lose...week in and week out...at what point does "liking the fight" or "continuing to make progress" cease to feed the bulldog? 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

It's one thing to say it after a loss in game 2 of a 162 game season especially when you are a 2 time AL coach of the year with multiple playoff appearances for a team with one of the lowest payrolls in the game and it's quite another to say it when you are in the midst of a 2-12 conference run in one of the weakest conferences in college football.

context means everything.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

The Rays came back and scored 2 runs in the late innings and could have very easily won a game they had no business winning last night. Yeah, I like the fight in that group also...the Rays pull victory from the jaws of defeat more often than not. The Bulls have been the other way around.

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

a) Skip Holtz

B) Stan Heath

d) Willie Taggart

Point proven in the responses.

When a or b says it, its ********. When c or d says it, there's a solid reason.