how many recruits will we lose/gain because we are so

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,673
  • Days Won:  25

How many freshmen are already playing?

I would think that if early playing time AND the chance to build something special is a goal, you sign with USF.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

I think this is a great/legit question...

Just read this article today.. http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/for-usf-georgia-becoming-strategic-target-20131001/

"Durden, who attended Valdosta Lowndes County High, where the stadium is a familiar landmark along Interstate 75, liked the proximity and the chance to establish his own identity. He first heard about USF in 2009, when the B.J. Daniels-led Bulls upset the Florida State Seminoles in Tallahassee.

“It looked like a program that was going places,'' Durden said. “I thought I could fit in.''

"Lattimore, who counts former Georgia defensive lineman David Pollock as his all-time favorite player and witnessed a dozen or so games “between the hedges,'' knew he wanted to leave Athens and probably play out of state. USF had plenty of appeal.

“I knew that they had beaten some big-time teams and I know about palm trees and beaches,'' Lattimore said. “It was a different world from the one I was used to.''

They both mentioned us beating good programs or having big time wins as a main reason they came here. Obviously those wins will always be there but they are further and further from our minds as well as recruits now. Kids that are being recruited now were 13/14 years old in 2009 when we beat FSU and 11/12 when we had our run in 2007. Chances are they didn't even know who USF was at that age let alone remember the wins. What they do see is now we're losing to McNeese State, FAU, Ball State, Temple, and possibly Memphis this season as well. This will make a negative impact on our program when it comes to recruiting. Taggart is an incredible recruiter though so it won't be felt so badly because he'll still put together a class better than Holtz ever did which is very impressive.

Edited by USFbulls24

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Just read this article today.. http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/for-usf-georgia-becoming-strategic-target-20131001/

"Durden, who attended Valdosta Lowndes County High, where the stadium is a familiar landmark along Interstate 75, liked the proximity and the chance to establish his own identity. He first heard about USF in 2009, when the B.J. Daniels-led Bulls upset the Florida State Seminoles in Tallahassee.

“It looked like a program that was going places,'' Durden said. “I thought I could fit in.''

"Lattimore, who counts former Georgia defensive lineman David Pollock as his all-time favorite player and witnessed a dozen or so games “between the hedges,'' knew he wanted to leave Athens and probably play out of state. USF had plenty of appeal.

“I knew that they had beaten some big-time teams and I know about palm trees and beaches,'' Lattimore said. “It was a different world from the one I was used to.''

They both mentioned us beating good programs or having big time wins as a main reason they came here. Obviously those wins will always be there but they are further and further from our minds as well as recruits now. Kids that are being recruited now were 13/14 years old in 2009 when we beat FSU and 11/12 when we had our run in 2007. Chances are they didn't even know who USF was at that age let alone remember the wins. What they do see is now we're losing to McNeese State, FAU, Ball State, Temple, and possibly Memphis this season as well. This will make a negative impact on our program when it comes to recruiting. Taggart is an incredible recruiter though so it won't be felt so badly because he'll still put together a class better than Holtz ever did which is very impressive.

You know we're currently in the 40s-50s (depending on the service) for recruiting rankings, right? Just about where we've been for the past decade. We still have no QB (like everyone gives Holtz **** for, have already had 2 separate QBs decommit). We have one RB who may or may not even make it academically.

CWT's rankings the three years before coming to USF: 2012 - 75, 2011 - 90, 2010 - 89. And when you get ready to give me the line about how he was recruiting at WKU, remember he was outrecruited by Southern MIss, Wyoming, and Akron during those years. He may eventually become an incredible recruiter, but he isn't one yet.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516

You know we're currently in the 40s-50s (depending on the service) for recruiting rankings, right? Just about where we've been for the past decade. We still have no QB (like everyone gives Holtz **** for, have already had 2 separate QBs decommit). We have one RB who may or may not even make it academically.

CWT's rankings the three years before coming to USF: 2012 - 75, 2011 - 90, 2010 - 89. And when you get ready to give me the line about how he was recruiting at WKU, remember he was outrecruited by Southern MIss, Wyoming, and Akron during those years. He may eventually become an incredible recruiter, but he isn't one yet.

Maybe you're unaware of what is unfolding in front of our eyes? USF is a bottom 10 program in the entire country at this point and he has kids like Jimmy Bayes committed to us over programs like NC State, Georgia Tech, Missouri, Rutgers, Wisconsin, and West Virginia. I highly doubt he is choosing us because he likes the state of our program better than those right now or do you think its all the amazing history and tradition of our football program? Not to mention Bronson who has offers from Arkansas, FSU, Miami, Mississippi State, etc. and Jarvis Stewart. Look at our recruiting class right now vs. UCF's.. UCF coming off a 10 win season and 3-1 this year and ours is still better. You think that's by accident? As far as i'm concerned anything above 100 at Western Kentucky as a recruiting class isn't bad. His last year there was 75 and you're not impressed by that? Doesn't that mean that 48 schools had worse recruiting classes? There is no way there are 48 schools that were less appealing. It means he is a good recruiter. 

Being ranked in the 40's - 50's considering what has transpired with our football program over the last 3 years is awesome to me. He has kids taking visits to our school that wouldn't of even answered a text message from Skip Holtz.  The only thing that can be questioned for me is his actual coaching. He is showing that he can recruit. What do you expect him to do? Take the classes in high school for the RB? lol. That's a weak argument. He can't control 18 year old's minds either. He will get a QB whether its this year or next year. Regardless, I think our recruiting classes will improve with Taggart and it's going to be a rough 3-4 years for bulls fans.. :/ 

Edited by USFbulls24
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  421
  • Content Count:  9,779
  • Days Won:  8

I hope bench and white and our offensive line make big developements by next season. If that happens and we get 4 or 5 wins next year we will be in a better place.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,807

How about this line. Rankings don't mean jack. Look at USC currently . Taggart took the worst program in the country and got them to 7 wins in a 3 year span

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  421
  • Content Count:  9,779
  • Days Won:  8

Wins over two former big east members helps. One more to go.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

Recruiting analysts are saying that not only will we not lose many recruits, but we are going to over-sign as well. Heard Josh Newberg stating we may take 28-30 commits.

Expecting some kids to transfer out who dropped down the depth chart.

Guess we will see in Feb.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,943
  • Days Won:  436

Recruiting analysts are saying that not only will we not lose many recruits, but we are going to over-sign as well. Heard Josh Newberg stating we may take 28-30 commits.

Maybe I'm wrong but players transferring out still wouldn't allow you to bring in over 25 signees in the fall, would it?

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Maybe I'm wrong but players transferring out still wouldn't allow you to bring in over 25 signees in the fall, would it?

Correct. Its 25 per year, no matter how many openings you have in your total 85 available scholarships. There is some fudging of numbers where you can bring someone in early and apply them to the previous class, but thats not as easy as picking 3 guys and saying they're from the class of 2013.

Edited by JTrue