• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Here's our problem as diehard Bulls fans

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

(I say "diehard" Bulls fans because the average fan doesn't get involved in message boards and posting, etc.)

First I present the facts:

1) Our team is ranked.

2) Our team is 4-0 in the record books.

3) Our team has beaten a ranked opponent.

4) The program is only 12 years old.

Here's why we are disgruntled fans:

We watch other teams play and we expect our team to play like that -we want to see our offense to play like USC or OU, and our defense to play like LSU, South Carolina or Auburn.

IT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!

Call it what you want, but this is USF football; we win ugly. Since day one, there hasn't been a year where a USF team has played great football all year, and it is arguable that we've never played a completely perfect game of football.

USF football is about finding a way to get that 'W'. We are never out of any game and we will never put anybody away.

We can't win them all, as last year's 3-game stretch can attest to that, but the record indicates that this is a very success football program.

So... forget the point spread, forget the easy win, and forget how other teams play. THIS IS BULLS FOOTBALL.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

I think your right for the most part.  But, saying it's never goign to happen is wrong.  We still have  a ways to go to becoming a consistently ranked team and playing like teams you mentioned.

Yes this is USF football.  In my opinion the big step we need to take, is develop a new coaching staff after burnam and Leavitt.

• Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

I think you are part of the problem. Instead of making your sig 4-0, you make it 3.5

(I say "diehard" Bulls fans because the average fan doesn't get involved in message boards and posting, etc.)

First I present the facts:

1) Our team is ranked.

2) Our team is 4-0 in the record books.

3) Our team has beaten a ranked opponent.

4) The program is only 12 years old.

Here's why we are disgruntled fans:

We watch other teams play and we expect our team to play like that -we want to see our offense to play like USC or OU, and our defense to play like LSU, South Carolina or Auburn.

IT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!

Call it what you want, but this is USF football; we win ugly. Since day one, there hasn't been a year where a USF team has played great football all year, and it is arguable that we've never played a completely perfect game of football.

USF football is about finding a way to get that 'W'. We are never out of any game and we will never put anybody away.

We can't win them all, as last year's 3-game stretch can attest to that, but the record indicates that this is a very success football program.

So... forget the point spread, forget the easy win, and forget how other teams play. THIS IS BULLS FOOTBALL.

Bulls football... "we know how to not lose, most of the time"...

Sorry, Basketbull, but if USF is ranked with the rest of the football powers, then we should play like the football powers -- otherwise we are either pretending or we are over-rated.

USF has to learn how to put people away.  Not because it helps in the polls -- which it does.  But because it helps when we actually play REALLY good teams.

Steve Spurrier used to catch a lot of crap for "running up the score" ... but the real lesson with him is you run the same gameplan all game ... and learn how to do that against bad teams, so you can do it well against good teams.  Changing the gameplan to a "prevent offense" is not good coaching.

Finally, I will say this, college football - in the end - is entertainment.  We all have other things we could choose to do on Saturdays in the fall, but we are fans of the sport and of our team because we have fun being entertained by them.  We, in turn, support them by buying tickets, donating money, grabbing up jerseys, and more.  But, in the end, we spend our money to be entertained.  A team that puts people away and wins big is more entertaning than a team that can't seem to fight it's way out of a paper bag.  Yes, I am very glad we have won these games... but they have not been as entertaining as the UTM game.

Oh, I will add that we don't have nearly the same degree of negativity with our basketball team... much of the negativity is really just hurt pride because our basketball team, which should be better, isn't...

But with lowered expectations, comes less of a chance for fans to be disappointed.

Football is ranked with the best teams in the country, but they sure don't act like it.  I think that is the real issue... the expectations that come with where we are and where we've come from.

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

the problem is the thought that we, as fans, should settle.  Settle for anything other than complete and utter dominance.  Anyone who tells themselves a performance like yesterday was ok, or acceptable, has accepted a less than great team.

I guess its easier that way.

I don't settle for mediocrity.  I want our Bulls to be great. When people try to explain that we should be happy about such a mediocre performance, it drives me crazy.  

Those of us who criticize the team do so because we love this program and want to see dominance.

Guest BasketBull.

Oh, I completely agree, JimUSFSig.

As thread reads, "our problem" as fans, which doesn't remove any responsibility from the team to play better. They are holding a national ranking and the Big East flag, but they phoned in another game. That is "their problem" as coaches and players.

• Content Count:  21,335
  • Days Won:  10

I was at the game and disappointment would be a more accurate statement.  I have to say of offensive play calling ane execution left something to be desired.  If the goal was not to show NC State jack we hit it in spades.  I think we have a lot of work to do this week.

Great turn out by USF fans.

Archived