Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  33
  • Days Won:  0

Just now, Triple B said:

Are you kidding? It would be better than where we are now by a mile ...... and much better than being part of the Big 12.

How so? Can you really say you would be excited to play Duke or Syracuse. Miami would be the only one that would be somewhat interesting and that's because they are in state, they aren't what they used to be and certainly don't draw the crowds thye use to either. ND would be gone if the others left, it would basically just be the BE all over again minus our biggest rival WV. I don't want to take a step back to the BE. Playing the likes of Baylor, TCU OKState just seems more exciting to me. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  735
  • Days Won:  4

28 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Ideally 2 to 4 teams depart the Big 12 and they are forced to fill from the G5. I can't see anyone better than Memphis and USF to fill those openings. 

USF paying 10 million to join a dying conference that is being raided is not an ideal or desirable outcome.

19 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

So ... here's a monkey wrench.  UCF, Cincy, and Houston coming back to the AAC.

*THAT* (AAC teams returning) is a better outcome than Big12 being poached again and only then getting an invite .  If the Big12 falls apart completely and the others have to come back, that means USF avoids paying millions to join an AAC 2.0 conference.  In this scenario, I doubt the 'twice poached' Big12 would get that much tv money to offset the cost for USF.

Edited by Ghostbuster

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

51 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

Basically my same sentiment, feels good on positioning based on program improvements. But no actual details because USF's opening is still a few moves away. Even in your scenario, the ACC would need to be raided first. His connections would help, but what I'm trying to say is if the ACC/Big 12 only expand after getting raided and that hasn't happened yet, then there's no way he knows of an actual invite in hand.

Would they though? Or would they look at the idea of expansion as further buffer against future departures? Maybe they don't want to get their hand forced like the Big 12 did, where they went solely on recent football success because they needed to keep their supply up for TV deals coming up in the next couple years. ACC proactively expanding means they could have their products already on display for if and when they're poached from approaching their next TV deal.

• Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,668
  • Days Won:  0

If you're the ACC, what do you do to keep your rumored teams from leaving to the SEC (FSU, Clemson, UNC, etc.) when 2036 comes? 

Edited by bullsmeanbusiness
duplicated

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  465
  • Days Won:  2

3 minutes ago, GoBulls84 said:

Would they though? Or would they look at the idea of expansion as further buffer against future departures? Maybe they don't want to get their hand forced like the Big 12 did, where they went solely on recent football success because they needed to keep their supply up for TV deals coming up in the next couple years. ACC proactively expanding means they could have their products already on display for if and when they're poached from approaching their next TV deal.

No power conference has ever proactively tried to buffer against future raids. Does that mean none ever will? Nah, they could. But it's just not something I'd bet on. The Big 12 could've in 2016 but didn't because it meant pissing off ESPN who'd have to pay P5 money to G5 teams. The current ACC would add G5 teams and willingly split their shares? Unlikely. Wouldn't act until their hand is forced. 

Edited by UCF_rustbucket
Typo

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,941
  • Days Won:  436

11 minutes ago, USFsurfer said:

How so? Can you really say you would be excited to play Duke or Syracuse. Miami would be the only one that would be somewhat interesting and that's because they are in state, they aren't what they used to be and certainly don't draw the crowds thye use to either. ND would be gone if the others left, it would basically just be the BE all over again minus our biggest rival WV. I don't want to take a step back to the BE. Playing the likes of Baylor, TCU OKState just seems more exciting to me. 

First, you said that isn't that much better than where we are right now. You do know where we are right now, right? Second, I get that you're looking at it strictly from a football perspective but the other teams left in the ACC in that scenario aren't chopped liver and the uptick in hoops would be huge ...... and the cherry on top the sundae is that we wouldn't be reunited with the douchebags ...... no offense, rustbucket

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,583
  • Days Won:  13

8 minutes ago, bullsmeanbusiness said:

If you're the ACC, what do you do to keep your rumored teams from leaving to the SEC (FSU, Clemson, UNC, etc.) when 2036 comes? 

Hope and pray?  That's about all it can do.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,144

6 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

No power conference has ever proactively tried to buffer against future raids. Does that mean none ever will? Nah, they could. But it's just not something I'd bet on. The Big 12 could've in 2016 but didn't because it meant pissing off ESPN who'd have to pay P5 money to G5 teams. The current ACC would add G5 teams and willingly split their shares? Unlikely. Wouldn't act until their hand is forced. 

Pretty sure that the SEC & B1G have been doing it for a while now. Strengthening their brands by diluting the competition is a proactive move. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

11 minutes ago, bullsmeanbusiness said:

That's the $70 million per year question

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,144

13 minutes ago, GoBulls84 said:

I'd rather be in the remnants of the ACC than the those of the B12.

• Upvote 1