Why are we hating on UCF in Big East?

USFbulls0208

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,482
  • Days Won:  1

I don't really understand why people are so up in arms about UCF coming to the BE. I mean, I would rather have another CUSA team (ECU, etc) come, but UCF coming isn't the end of the world like some people are making it out to be.

The whole reason all the expansion stuff is going on is because of money. If we play UCF on a year to year basis, both stadiums would sell out, every time (look at 07 and 08). This would be a great alternative to another mediocre OOC team. Sold out stadium = more $. And if you think that no one outside of Florida cares about it, the 2008 game was picked up by ESPN in the primetime slot for a national audience. Who says that can't happen again?

People who say they can't compete with us in any sports and such. Don't you think some of the leftover teams from the old Big East thought that about us? UCF is an up and coming program, stuck in a crappy conference. They are improving all of their facilities. They will get better over time in a better conference. Many of you say that "UCF isn't our rival, blah blah blah", yet reactions to this proposed expansion pretty much show that UCF is our rival. 

Some people say that UCF coming would hurt recruiting. This might be true, but only to a certain extent. If you were a recruit, which situation would you choose:

1) A team with pretty much no significant football history, playing at a relatively small stadium with mediocre to ok facilities who is just starting out in a major conference, and will probably be in the bottom half for a while

2) A team with a short, but successful past, who plays in one of, if not the best pro stadium in the country, a team that is consistently ranked in the top 25, a team with a beautiful athletics facility, and a team who has experience playing on a national stage.

I think most recruits would pick #2.

And regarding the fan situations. Many say that UCF has obnoxious fans and things of that nature. I will agree with that. At the 2008 game I was a little high school sophomore and walking to the stadium I got countless middle fingers and **** you chants.

We have those fans too. As does every team in the country. I've seen our fans pour beer on opposing teams fans, and our fans cuss out other fans with small kids with them. Everyone has bad fans, it's just a part of the game.

Now I'm not saying that I want UCF in the BE. I hate them just as much as the next guy. But I don't believe that it's as big of a travesty as many people are making it out to be.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  824

I think the USF fans opposed to UCF's entry into our league are just being insecure.  We have a far superior athletic program to UCF.  Our football team can win big games and is far more visible on the national stage.  Even if UCF's recruiting takes a step up, we'll likely be taking several steps up to best them.  Our coach is far better, we play in a better stadium... frankly, we have nothing to fear. 

Certainly this can also be a moneymaker for both schools.  It will fill stadiums.  And even though I don't think UCF is a worthy rival, the rivalry would certainly get the attention of some area recruits while we continue to pound UCF in the turf and prove we're the better program. 

I'm not going to out and campaign for UCF to join the Big East, but UCF in the Big East shouldn't worry us USF fans so much.  We'll continue to outplay, outrecruit, and just plain prove UCF isn't on our level. 

• Content Count:  151
  • Days Won:  0

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't really have much of a problem with UCF in the Big East.  I think there are a few teams that might make better additions in terms of strengthening the conference, but if UCF gets an invite I'll be okay with that.  I understand that having UCF in the conference would probably come with some more perks for us that we wouldn't get with a distant school.  A local rival to dig on would fill stadium seats and sell merchandise better than some other conference rivals that don't generate much excitement when we play them.

I guess at the core of it I just have one reason to hesitate about them in the Big East.  I want to see USF rise to the top, and it would be nice to do it without a doppleganger.  It's probably greedy but I would love to one day watch us win a conference championship, climb to the top of the in-state pile, and maybe even win a national title and get consistent respect nationwide.  It will be easier to do that without having to compete with UCF in the background yelling "me too, me too!" while competing for attention and recruits.

For all I care about them right now they are just another C-USA team and I wish them the best of luck.  If they end up in the Big East that's okay too, we'll crush them just like we've done every other time they've crossed our path.

>:D

• Content Count:  24

Hey Folks,

Finally, a thread with some logic to it!  A lot of your fellow Bulls fans are looking through Green and Gold glasses and not really understanding that the addition of UCF would be a boost to the Big East.  In all the olympics sports the other Big East schools now have travel partners and it would save money there.  Remember that most college athletics departments struggle with their budget.  Schools like Pittsburgh and Rutgers (if they stick around) will love having another school to bring their team down and play in for recruiting purposes (Wanny and Schiano with major ties down here).  There's so much talent in Florida to go around that your recruiting won't take as much of a hit as you would think.

I hate to say it, and you guys hate it too, but the rest of the country still manages to confuse the hell out of us despite your successes.  If UCF and USF play a game annually, the rivalry will build up in profile over time and people will tune in and will finally be able to tell the difference.  The War on I-4 will be a huge moneymaker for both schools, especially moreso for USF since you guys have a larger-capacity stadium than we do and can put more butts in seats.

Also, I'm sure a lot of you fans love going to such wonderful places like Morgantown or Storrs when going to away USF games.  A game in Orlando enables you to cheer on your bulls just 90 miles away. 

Despite many USF posters seeming to think that they already have rivals in the Big East (UConn is your top rival? Really?  That's what I read on other boards).  Geography and football profile will tell you otherwise.  I'll have UCF fans yell at me until they are blue in the face that East Carolina is our 'rival', but let's not fool ourselves with biases.  We are rivals, and although you guys have the early lead (see UF-FSU), the results will start to see-saw.  In the end is going to be so much more fun and you guys will get much more personal satisfaction out of a win against (possible) conference opponent UCF than you would with any team in the Big East.  And according to some guys on here that seem to think the dominance will continue, then they should have nothing to worry about! ;)

By the way, I dislike your program much less now that the Jim is gone.  Skip is going to do good things with your program.

MB

• Content Count:  151

I hear what you're saying about people still confusing USF and UCF.  Sure, people might learn the distinction if we develop a rivalry that gains exposure over the next 4 or 5 years.  But recognition will come anyways if we are at the top of the conference and playing in top tier bowls every season.  Since we're already in a BCS conference with AQ status we don't have as much to gain from this relationship as UCF would, so a some of us are ambivalent or against the idea.

In regards to not having a rival in the Big East, you have a point.  If I had to pick someone as a rival I'd probably go with Rutgers since they have constantly been the team to rain on our parade when things are going great.  But if you can't figure out who your rival really is you probably just don't have one.  I'll admit UCF is much more of a natural fit for that role than any of the other teams in the Big East, so we'll just see what happens.

• Content Count:  21,615
  • Days Won:  10

I still dislike UCF.  Hey boys you are 0-4 versus us.

• Content Count:  143

I would say West Virginia is our major rival

• Content Count:  509

Personally I'm against UCF joining the Big East for many reasons and none of them has anything to do with the classiness of their fans. I never attended a USF-UCF game live since I was living in Europe at the time, but I'm sure the UCF fans are not really much different then any other fans.  So no hate here!

The main reason I'm against them joining is that they are undeserving and don't bring anything to the table. The BE already has a foothold in FL with USF, and the TV market in FL will always be dominated by FSU, Miami, and Florida. Also they have been underachievers and have accomplished very little in their fairly long history of college sports. How many BCS teams have they beaten? ECU, Houston, Memphis, TCU,Temple,Navy... all would make much more sense!

Also we in effect would be pulling up UCF to our level of play. That's a mistake since it would hurt our recruiting. In fact I think UCF if they join the BE would surpass us in recruiting since UCF has superior athletic facilities on campus. And for those that believe that UCF could never beat us, they took us to overtime in the last game, and trust me if they join the BE they would get considerably better and would eventually beat us. Many UCF fans believe that if they join the BE that when the ACC comes calling they would get it over us. Furthermore we have made a lot of progress over the last few years of closing the gap between us and the big three in FL; with the inclusion of UCF in the BE the gap would only increase.

When there was talk of B12 left overs joining the MWC, TCU made it clear it would block the inclusion of Baylor. Also it has been no secret that WVU would block the inclusion of Marshall. I think USF should do the same with UCF. You know if the roles were reversed UCF would block us!

• Content Count:  1,570

You're bringing in WEAK teams into already none nationally as a WEAK conference. Memphis sucks big time in football. And ucf can't beat a BCS team, or win a bowl to save it's life. I was all for bringing in B12 leftovers. That would have save the BE. I hope that the other conferences expand.

• Content Count:  5,595
  • Days Won:  3

You're bringing in WEAK teams into already none nationally as a WEAK conference. Memphis sucks big time in football. And ucf can't beat a BCS team, or win a bowl to save it's life. I was all for bringing in B12 leftovers. That would have save the BE. I hope that the other conferences expand.

This.  Our conference is already mocked for our lack of competition.  Bringing in a weak football team in memphis, and a weak athletic program in UCF won't help. 

Also, even though we are better than UCF, the fact is, we will lose that significant recruiting edge over them if we are in the same conference.

Archived