• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dr. Phillips LB LaQuentin Smith gets 2 more offers from Cincinnati, USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

USF has a very good shot at Smith.  He's a tiny bit of a tweener (meaning he's built a lot like Mark Joyce, probably to big and slow for DB, but perfect for OLB), and it hopefully will keep some bigger schools away and give us a chance to close this deal.

• 3 months later...

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

He is suposedly close to announcing his decision.

Who does he choose?

I know that he just became friends on FB with QB Matt Floyd who recently gave USF a verbal. Hopefully, that's a good sign.

• Content Count:  21,336
  • Days Won:  10

Come on pick the Bulls.

From cdowlar on Twitter

RT @flavarsity: Could be as soon as this week when Dr. Phillips athlete LaQuentin Smith makes his choice. Everything points to Arkansas ...

about 2 hours ago via TweetDeck

#USF target Trevarris Saulsberry commits to ... http://bit.ly/c62vYA

about 4 hours ago via TweetDeck

Just like with Smith, we were also leading, up until recently,  for DE Saulsberry who just gave a verbal to Tenn.  >:(

• Content Count:  21,336
  • Days Won:  10

From cdowlar on Twitter

RT @flavarsity: Could be as soon as this week when Dr. Phillips athlete LaQuentin Smith makes his choice. Everything points to Arkansas ...

Just like with Smith, we were also leading, up until recently,  for DE Saulsberry who just gave a verbal to Tenn.  >:(

Really, come one stay in Florida. 

From cdowlar on Twitter

Really, come one stay in Florida.   

Interesting story on Saulsberry. He didn't even want to visit Tenn. Maybe he feels like he can get earlier playing time there.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/aug/02/commitment-saulsberry-now-open-minded-about-tennes/

• 2 weeks later...

RazorbackWire http://bit.ly/WireAK Dr. Phillips LB/S LaQuentin Smith narrows choices down to Arkansas, USF - Orlando Sentinel http://bit.ly/b7aAVw

about 3 hours ago via twitterfeed

Retweeted by gregauman

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We need 2 to 4 high profile guys to fill out this class. Then it would be very good for Skips first full class.

Dr. Phillips LB/S LaQuentin Smith narrows choices down to Arkansas, USF

Chicago Bulls 3:04 p.m. EDT, August 11, 2010

Dr. Phillips linebacker/safety LaQuentin Smith appears to have his choice of perspective colleges whittled down to two schools.

"Arkansas and USF are tied right now," Smith said about his two favorite programs.

That list of two will likely be even smaller in a little over a month, as Smith could be close to making a decision.

"I really don't know right now. I'm trying to shoot for my birthday, September 16, but I really don't know," Smith said. "I still like Arkansas, I still like USF and both are showing a lot to me right now, so I'm just trying to take it all in with my family."

Smith, who is ranked No. 7 on the Sentinel's Post-Spring 2011 Central Florida Super 60, was thought to be leaning towards South Carolina heading into the summer, but a visit to Arkansas in July with fellow safety and teammate Roderick Ryles (who committed during the trip) elevated the Razorbacks to the top of his list with USF.

"The visit was phenomenal. They had the best facilities I've seen so far," he said. "But buildings aren't what are going to keep you around, you also need a place where you can be comfortable.

"Coach Bobby Petrino is bringing the program back up and I really enjoyed myself at Arkansas."

Smith also added that the coaching staff at USF was a large reason for his interest with the Bulls.

"The first time I was out there, I talked to Coach (Skip) Holtz one on one and he was telling me what things went on with ECU and how he was trying to bring the USF Bulls back to what it was because they were really good. They're on the right path right now."

Smith' entered spring practice with zero college offers, but he's ended the offseason with 13, including Tennessee, Michigan and West Virginia extending scholarships to him.

It's been more than his offer sheet that has grown this summer. Smith was listed at 6-foot-1, 200-pounds at the end of last season, but he has put on girth this offseason and has evolved into a safety/linebacker hybrid for the Panthers. Now at 215-pounds, the 'tweener role suits him fine, as that is the same position he'll likely play in college.

"Some schools are recruiting me as a safety, some schools are recruiting me as a linebacker, some schools are recruiting me as an athlete," said Smith, who has gained 15 pounds this summer. "USF sees me as an athlete who can play both linebacker and safety and Arkansas wants me to play a hybrid safety, although I'll still be playing safety underneath."

USF and Arkansas have emerged as Smith's top candidates, but South Carolina still isn't entirely out of the picture.

"They still right there at number two, but it's just contact issues with me and the coaches and stuff like that. I'll be busy and they'll be busy at the same time so it's understandable. But I've been trying to reach them and I can't get in contact. They write me personal notes and personal letters every day, which I really like."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-recruiting-laquentin-smith-0812-20100811,0,7174448.story

Archived