• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

we could have had bob huggins?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  0

ive heard that on this board before but not sure if it was really true.....if we really could have got him then what in the world didnt we?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,753
  • Days Won:  19

You're asking a question which will open a can of worms that will become a pro/anti-McMurphy thread. Just say there were definitely rumors running rampant from the pen of McMurphy back in the day when we were a cellar dwellar. My personal opinion... McMurphy has sources that he protects to get the story before anyone else. I'd say there was some truth to those rumors.

• Content Count:  1,981

For a year, then he probably would have left for WVU.

• Content Count:  2,427
  • Days Won:  3

Does it really matter now?!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,369
  • Days Won:  13

that worked out so bad for Kansas State..... I love Heath, but Wollard droped the ball when he didn't hire Huggybear.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

that worked out so bad for Kansas State..... I love Heath, but Wollard droped the ball when he didn't hire Huggybear.

absolutely wrong... Doug Woolard wanted a respectable, ethical coach, that would build the program the right way.

Huggins may be a quality coach, but I wouldn't want him here under any circumstances.  The last thing we were going to do was take a cast off problem child coach from another Big East team for 1 season (followed by him bolting for his alma mater).  Kstate may have made out well on the deal...  but Doug has more class than that.  He wasn't going to hire a coach with so many personal problems.  Instead... he got a talented coach that is the opposite type of person as Huggins.  That is a job WELL DONE!

absolutely wrong... Doug Woolard wanted a respectable, ethical coach, that would build the program the right way.

Huggins may be a quality coach, but I wouldn't want him here under any circumstances. The last thing we were going to do was take a cast off problem child coach from another Big East team for 1 season (followed by him bolting for his alma mater). Kstate may have made out well on the deal... but Doug has more class than that. He wasn't going to hire a coach with so many personal problems. Instead... he got a talented coach that is the opposite type of person as Huggins. That is a job WELL DONE!

I would add two things:

1) K State was not as "bad" as USF when it hired Huggins. That means he didn't have as far to take the Wildcats as he would have had to take the Bulls.

2) There is no way to know if there would be any long-term effects after one-year here. Especially when you consider the talent differences between the Big East and the Big 12.

As for whether the rumors are true or not, we know this: Huggins was unemployed, and some boosters were like fans - unhappy with the direction of the team. He would have cost far more than Heath and would have left after one season. And we would not have made the NCAA in his one year here (after all K-State didn't).

For the overall good of the program, Woolard did the right thing.

• Content Count:  4,016

You're asking a question which will open a can of worms that will become a pro/anti-McMurphy thread. Just say there were definitely rumors running rampant from the pen of McMurphy back in the day when we were a cellar dwellar. My personal opinion... McMurphy has sources that he protects to get the story before anyone else. I'd say there was some truth to those rumors.

There was none...none with any legs.  The one person that floated the 'supposed rumor' to McMurph wasn't or hadn't made any type of push for it, and there wasn't a real internal movement for such a thing.  Second, it was mostly Hug's agent who pushed it along further and further incited things after the initial rumor was started and became a media hype.

In the end the reality is there was no real likelihood of us getting Hug's, none at all.  He was demanding more than we could pay, no alum had or was willing to pony up anything of that magnitude, and his agent used mcmurph to further hug's cause at other spots. 

• Content Count:  259

K-State was TERRIBLE before he got there.

Huggins is one of the top 5 greatest bball coaches of all time.  His stats are absurd.  Def the greatest college bball coach to have not won a national title..

Guy gets it done at every place he has been.

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

2) There is no way to know if there would be any long-term effects after one-year here.  Especially when you consider the talent differences between the Big East and the Big 12.

no way to know long term affects after one year? ask K State that question.  You understand Frank Martin, the coach of K State was an assistant for Bob Huggins and now a great and top head coach.  You think he would be coaching K State if Huggins didnt go there?  thats called a long-tern effect.  they dont have to think about another coach unless Martin jumps to a bigger program, which he deserves and I can see happening. 

As for the players Huggins recruits and personal problems, please stop, you dont know what you are talking about.  A DUI? big deal, know how many respectable people I know with DUIs?  His recruits absolutely love him and play their hearts out for him.  Guy is a hillbilly from WVA and walks into NYC and plucks top talent because of charisma, swagger, top resume and proven winner. 

Plus he wears a jump suit on the sidelines, it doesnt get better than Bobby huggins.  I hope WVA wins it all!

Archived