Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

"All the Big Ten schools are AAU members," Nebraska Chancellor Harvey Perlman said. "I doubt that our application would've been accepted had we not been a member of the organization."

Couldn't find the Delany quote on it, but this is Nebraska's perspective.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,558
  • Days Won:  19

USF as an AAU? ok........

What's our graduation rate? What's our acceptance rate? 

We may have the research, but our undergraduate education doesn't score well with every college ranking source. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Right , because EVERYTHING any commissioner has ever said about realignment has been completely true. There is absolutely no guile in any of them.

Just because B10 said they wouldn't have extended the invite doesn't mean they wouldn't have in actuality. And Nebraska would have been just fine. B12 would have accepted them back with open arms if the B10 changed their mind.

Never forget what thi$ i$ all about.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Right , because EVERYTHING any commissioner has ever said about realignment has been completely true. There is absolutely no guile in any of them.

Just because B10 said they wouldn't have extended the invite doesn't mean they wouldn't have in actuality. And Nebraska would have been just fine. B12 would have accepted them back with open arms if the B10 changed their mind.

Never forget what thi$ i$ all about.

Still and all, if Nebraska had never been a member, they would have never gotten an invite.

The B10 could have had FSU for the asking any time they wished, getting the entire state of Florida in one fell swoop. But they never wished.

They would probably take the Gators in a Gainesville minute, but they ain't going' nowheres.

Texas was interested but were asking too much.

The only possible non-AAU school would be Notre Dame. But I don't think they would even consider it seriously. When the talks were going on they were broken off because ND wouldn't brging football. IMO, that was just an excuse for the B10 to say no.

Edited by charsibb
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

What he said.

• Topic Count:  557
  • Content Count:  14,442
  • Days Won:  13

The problem I see with a Florida school being attractive to a P5 is that Florida has not only a large number of northern transplants that are fans of their home schools but the vast majority of fans are fans of The Big Three. The Big 10 added schools in Maryland and NJ that locally were the biggest in their markets. And they don't have a resident population like Florida with a large number being from other states. I doubt USF or UCF are the biggest draws in their markets and may not be in the top 3'when it comes to fans. So if schools are added purely for money, market share now and for the foreseeable future may not be lucrative enough for an invite. Unless they are counting on the draw of when the P5 has away game in Florida.

And I don't think the opening up Florida to recruiting has much weight for a P5. They probably already are recruiting here if they want. And now that USF plays Texas schools, has it opened up Texas to USF?

It’s all about Money and TV sets. Tampa/Orlando is a home run when talking about sheer eyes on the T.V Set.

I get what you are saying recruiting wise, but I think it pertains to the bigger schools in each conference. Texas and Oklahoma can already come to Florida and have a decent shot to land a kid. But if they can sell at least one game a season and maybe two that all the family can come to, its an even better sell. The big time star can get away from hometown distractions and still have the rents and family come and see a game live once a year.

If shifting takes place again in 5 to 6 years. UCF, USF, Uconn, Cincy, and BYU are locks to get taken. Student population, school size, market placement, and potential are too much for a P5 not to take a UCF/USF combo this time around. I don't think they would take one thought, they would take both or none at all. Texas supports five P5 teams, no reason Florida can't as well.

In my opinion the Big twelve will add UCF/USF, Cincinnati and BYU adds in some more eastern based schools for West Virginia and a natural split line.

West:

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Kansas

Kansas State

Texas Tech

BYU

East:

Texas

TCU

Baylor

USF

UCF

West Virginia

Cincinnati

The majority of TV sets in Florida are tuned to the Big 3 and the majority of the money spent is on their apparel. I imagine that there are out of state schools selling more apparel than USF or UCF does in the state. Rutgers and Maryland didn't have that in-state competition, 3 very popular, entrenched programs in their back yard. I can see the P5 swapping around teams for logistics before going to Florida for teams with tiny ratings and merchandising in comparison to what they are used to for their members. But who knows, maybe it will happen.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Lots of probablys and ifs in there, Charsibb.

I would give you the majority % of being correct if you had given more than speculation as to UF, and you have no idea whether or not the feeling was mutual for FSU to jump to the B10.

Texas was flirting with every other P5 conference to see if they could get a better arrangement than what they have with B12. They wised up and realized it's better to be the biggest fish in a small pond. No surprise they were interested in B10, but how serious they were, no one outside of those programs knows.

Also, you admitted ND, a non-AAU institution, which bolsters my point, that there was no value to be had without Irish football.

I still stand by my comment that AAU affiliation is not a deal-breaker if the money is right, and again, we'll never know as there is obviously no one out there worth it to the B10 outside of a P5.

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

The one thing the P5 have going against them is Greed!!! They say Greed is Good but now I think it will bite them in the ass in the long run. They will shed off power members that wont be able to compete. It will get FN ugly years down the road!!! 

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

Yes it is like a bad dream to me. They have ruined college football. ESPN does not give a **** as they have all the top teams under contract. It is when they ask ESPN for more money years from now that they will start crying. Only then, ESPN wont have the BIG EAST to talk down all the time. They will have to talk down their own products such as ACC.