• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If you didn't know, this about FAU...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,329
  • Content Count:  96,965
  • Days Won:  469

From FAUSports.com:

The FAU and USF contest has all the makings of a great in-state matchup. USF was a program that FAU's inaugural head coach, Howard Schnellenberger, mimicked as he began the process of building a football program in Paradise. Schnellenberger traveled across the state 20 years ago to meet with then-Bulls' inaugural head coach Jim Leavitt, who is now FAU's defensive coordinator.

image.png

Defensive Coordinator Jim Leavitt

On the last few days including postponement:

"It is different. I have been in this game for a while. I have not experienced all the different emotions. You just stay focused not on one day at a time, but one hour at a time and try not let distractions get to you. Everybody wants to play. We wanted to play against Minnesota. We lost three games. The guys want to play bad…I just think about this week and I'm excited to play."

What is mean to you to play against a program that you built?

"I know people will think I'm not telling you the truth, but I really am: I have not thought about anything but practice today. All I wanted was a good practice. Last night and today, I haven't thought about anything else. You can believe it or not, but it is the truth. After we get done (video call) and I love spending time with you guys, getting with the defensive staff and watching practice, looking at the things we did right or wrong and that is really all I'm thinking about."

In preparing for USF, what stands out to you?

"Speed. They can run. Their quarterback, their running backs, receivers they can run and they have good size No. 18 [Devontres Dukes] is a good player, but their other receivers, No. 19 [Bryce Miller] and No. 8 [Latrell Williams], they can run and they know what they are doing. They are well coached. Offensive line is big and strong, do a good job. Tight end is a good sized guy. They have three tight ends. They are going to do what they do and do it well. They ran into Notre Dame. Notre Dame is Notre Dame. Different deal. The Citadel is a good football team, they really are, and they put it on those guys."

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  20,998
  • Days Won:  38

I knew this about FAU :iconic_u_black:

I think also the model for UAB, Charlotte, and UTSA if I remember correctly.  Twas a fun time.  To be good at something!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,458
  • Days Won:  422

6 hours ago, ZeroBullChip said:

Also the model for the current version of UCF.

Not sure I get this. Our two schools models couldn't be more different ...

Guest Jonesy Bull
2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Not sure I get this. Our two schools models couldn't be more different ...

Yeah that makes no sense at all re: ucf.

FAU mimicking USF makes sense because of how quickly we were able to grow from nothing (literally trailers).  Qiuite a compliment from the guy who put the U on the map.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  847
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, Brad said:

I think also the model for UAB, Charlotte, and UTSA if I remember correctly.  Twas a fun time.  To be good at something!

We were the model for upstarts ... now we need to stop being a cautionary tale. CJS has a lot of work ahead of him.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,512
  • Days Won:  28

I have a Levitt fact. He actually recruited Taggart to play at USF back in the day. These two were destined to coach together. @puc86 

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

8 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I have a Levitt fact. He actually recruited Taggart to play at USF back in the day. These two were destined to coach together. @puc86 

It just goes to show that CJL has an eye for talent and CWT sometimes makes questionable decisions 

• Haha 1