Academic Regulations Committee

bull-71

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I really don't think athletes should get any different treatment than any other students. They already have an advantage with early registration which I support. With respect to dropping a class the rules should be equal for all students with exemptions on a case by case basis for all students, and being an athlete should not qualify as an exceptional case.

I don't think athletes should get special treatment. It's fine for the athletic department to give input for the university policy as it pertains to their target student, athletes, but Ido t think they should have any more input than the other academic departments, like engineering or mass communications, etc... Each might have different idea of what is the best for their students.

If med school can have higher qualifications, why can't athletic school have lower qualifications?

Which college at USF does "your "School of Athletics" fall under?

New one, maybe?

Kinda like

• Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,770
  • Days Won:  19

Personally, if any athlete meets the minimum standards set by the NCAA for admissions requirement, that is good enough for me. The ARC is BS IMO. You can inherently correlate the lack of success of this year's basketball team by the questionable calls of the ARC last year in disallowing a certain big to be a student-athlete at USF. Why pay a coach millions of dollars (more than any professor that I know), if you're not going to give him the best opportunity to succeed? USF pays big money to facilitate a positive learning environment once the student-athletes are on campus, so why not let ALL athletes that meet NCAA requirement to enroll. Are student with lower grades a potential risk for disruption while on campus? Yes - look at the criminal blogger for USF athletes - rarely do you see an athlete killing it in class and getting arrested. However, place a peer system in place to help the kid mature - lots of these kids lack parental guidance and an adult authority would be wise to keep the kids in check while on campus. They can be taught tough love - heck, make it a stipulation in their athletic scholarship.

Anthony Henry is a perfect example of an athlete that gave back to USF. If I recall, bigger schools didn't want to take a risk with Henry because of his high school academic performance. Heck, the ARC might have shot down Anthony Henry from attending USF if it was in place back in 1997. Leavitt took a gamble and it paid off with a $500,000 donation back to the university on Henry's behalf (I might be mistaken on Henry's grades - but I recall that Ant was heavily recruited by the FSU's of the world and I believe grades were an issue - my apologies to Ant if I'm wrong). 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

The NCAA minimums should not supersede a university's.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I get the whole academic values stance and it really makes sense... at a University with 5,000 enrollment.  USF has 40,000+ students.  Do we really need to stand up and pound our chest about academics for the 25 football and 5 or so basketball recruits, who only a handful of might need lower academic standings?

I can see school with small enrollment making this case, but when you are the size of USF, who really cares about the academic standards for 5-10 student athletes a year?  I agree that there should be some reasonable acceptance standards, but all these guys have to do is get C's and B's in the [Random Easy Degree Program] to stay on track to graduate.  I think some High School freshman could pull that off.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,143
  • Days Won:  109

I get the whole academic values stance and it really makes sense... at a University with 5,000 enrollment.  USF has 40,000+ students.  Do we really need to stand up and pound our chest about academics for the 25 football and 5 or so basketball recruits, who only a handful of might need lower academic standings?

I can see school with small enrollment making this case, but when you are the size of USF, who really cares about the academic standards for 5-10 student athletes a year?  I agree that there should be some reasonable acceptance standards, but all these guys have to do is get C's and B's in the [Random Easy Degree Program] to stay on track to graduate.  I think some High School freshman could pull that off.

Ask UConn.  Calhoun would probably still be coaching if it weren't for grades (his decision may have been different. Not saying he was forced out).

Edited by CousinRicky

• Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,770
  • Days Won:  19

Great points Bull Martin. Sad that others don't realize it. How hard would it be to specifically groom those specific players prior to media interviews, etc? If a player can learn a playbook, a player can also learn to speak to the media without making the entire university cringe. Just my two cents. 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

Great points Bull Martin. Sad that others don't realize it. How hard would it be to specifically groom those specific players prior to media interviews, etc? If a player can learn a playbook, a player can also learn to speak to the media without making the entire university cringe. Just my two cents. 

Somehow, George Selvie skipped that class before speaking to GMRNS!

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

I really don't think athletes should get any different treatment than any other students. They already have an advantage with early registration which I support. With respect to dropping a class the rules should be equal for all students with exemptions on a case by case basis for all students, and being an athlete should not qualify as an exceptional case.

I don't think athletes should get special treatment. It's fine for the athletic department to give input for the university policy as it pertains to their target student, athletes, but Ido t think they should have any more input than the other academic departments, like engineering or mass communications, etc... Each might have different idea of what is the best for their students.

If med school can have higher qualifications, why can't athletic school have lower qualifications?

Which college at USF does "your "School of Athletics" fall under?

New one, maybe?

The College Of Professional  Sports

With emphasis  on all sports all levels ….recruiting ,motivation, training, position, Olympic sports etc.

There are plenty of academic areas.

Entrance requirements, adjusted to  a level  for success in the Sports Field..

Masters level courses in Sports Finance and business modeling, budgeting etc.

Go Bulls

Edited by bull-71

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

Help me understand "adjusted to a level for success in the Sports Field".

Is this just a euphemism for 'dumb jock classes'? 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,421
  • Days Won:  3

Help me understand "adjusted to a level for success in the Sports Field".

Is this just a euphemism for 'dumb jock classes'? 

Not at all..I had a foreign language requirement for graduation...  Engineers take different math courses compared to Business majors...

The entrance requirements should be realistic...

If a student athelete wants to specialize in sport medicine then he would be required to take...medical doctor type of courses with pre-requirements met.

If he want's to specialize in finance/salaries...then Business requirements would be more realistic...

Similar to a Chemical Engineer, Civil Engineer or Electrical Engineer.