• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Freedom's Tyler Guy to walk on at USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Freedom's Guy to walk on at USF

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 5:50 p.m.

Former Freedom and Zephyrhills quarterback Tyler Guy confirmed this afternoon he'll join USF as an invited walk-on.

Guy, a 6-foot-6 three-sport ZHS standout who transferred last summer, said he'll initially work out at tight end -- the position he played as a ZHS freshman -- but could get a chance to take snaps as both a QB and punter.

"I'm pretty relieved," said Guy, who passed for 1,640 yards last season for Freedom, which finished 7-3 and made the Class 5A playoffs.

"I knew I had this opportunity. I had it when (Jim) Leavitt was there and then when Coach (Skip) Holtz came, (ex-Freedom) Coach (James) Harrell talked to him. ... Some small schools offered me some stuff, but I couldn't pass this up. ... It's a perfect situation."

A two-year starter for the Bulldogs, Guy abruptly lost his job last spring when new coach Jerrell Cogmon employed a triple-option offense for which Guy -- a pocket passer -- was ill-suited. Cogmon was fired months later before ever coaching a game when allegations of recruiting were uncovered.

As a junior, Guy threw for more than 1,400 yards. A .400 hitter (with two home runs) as a Patriots senior, Guy also excelled as a pitcher/first baseman for Zephyrhills, hitting nine home runs in 2009 and earning Times first-team all-North Suncoast honors.

He said joining the Bulls baseball team is something he's pondering.

"We're just going to have to see, it's definitely an option," Guy said. "Two sports in college, you know, is pretty tough. ... If it seems like the right thing to do I'll do it."

http://hometeam.tampabay.com/recruiting/2010/apr/28/freedoms-guy-walk-usf/

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Great news, the kid is tall and athletic and could develop into a solid QB for the Bulls.

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Saw some pictures and the guy looks like a beast, bring it on

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

this guy isn't very good....

seen him many times...

may be better than Eppes tho

• Content Count:  809

If Gunsby wasn't enough evidence, this guy proves that Holtz wants tall, pocket passing QBs.  That is our future. 

Daniels better be watching his back.  I expect Holtz to thrust a knife back there soon enough! 

• Content Count:  5,241

Gunsdby runs a 4.5.  I think he'll still run it from time to time

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

If Gunsby wasn't enough evidence, this guy proves that Holtz wants tall, pocket passing QBs.  That is our future. 

Daniels better be watching his back.  I expect Holtz to thrust a knife back there soon enough! 

WOW, REALLY!!! Do you really think that Coach Holtz is going to "thrust a knife back there"? I don't think that it will happen, BUT IF it were to happen. It could end up like Cornelius Ingram, who was drafted as a TE. Or, Pete Warrick QB in HS NFL receiver, Anquan Boldin, recruited as a QB, now an NFL ALL-PRO receiver. Joe Haden was recruited as a QB, was just drafted, Number 7 overall. So, IF, BJ were to want to move, it may be his best shot at a post collegiate career.

• Content Count:  809

I was using hyperbole about stabbing BJ in the back.

But this much is true, it's clear from both the QBs that Holtz is bringing on board here at USF and his QBs and playing style at ECU that he likes pocket passers.  Leavitt was a dual-threat guy; Holtz is a pocket passer guy.  If BJ doesn't conform to this new offense, then he could easily be supplanted by a Gunsby or some other freshmen next year who will run Holtz's offense the way he wants it ran. 

BJ claims he prefers to pass the ball and wants to be known for his passing ability and not running ability.  Prove that this year or he could be challenged for his starting role come the start of next season. 

That is not hyperbole. 

• Content Count:  720

I don't think that BJ being replaced next season is that far fetched. BUT, believe me if BJ isn't our QB next season he WILL be on the field as a WR or a RB. The kid is WAY too athletic to not be on the field. Steve Bird played in the Around The Horns tourny with my team and he said that BJ is of NFL athletic caliber and Bird would know as he was an all american WR at EKU and spent 5-6 years in the league.

He actually said that BJ would be a first round pick as a receiver. Don't know about that one unless he makes the move really soon. Bird also said that there was no comparisons between White and BJ and Bird coached White at WVU. He said that White is faster but, not near the athlete that BJ is.

We will definitely see Gunsby taking snaps IN GAMES this season and I don't mean just in Wild Cat packages. USF will probably never see a QB under 6'3" while Coach Holtz is here.

• Content Count:  1,570

BJ Daniels is the Bulls QB til his college career is up. I really don't know what's in the water in Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay SHOULD NOT have any sports teams. The lack of sports knowledge, and fan support is totally embarrassing. The Rays has the best record in Baseball. And playing the best baseball in the league. And about 10 people show up to the game. WE HAVE GOT TO BE THE WORST SPORTS TOWN IN AMERICA. And if it wasn't for the trickier of Tampa city officials. The Tampa Bay Bucs would have been the Baltimore Ravens.

Archived