• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

6-9, 280lbs Center Davante "Ox" Gardner

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

DAVANTE GARDNER

King’s Fork

6-8 senior center

First-team All-Eastern Region and first-team All-Southeastern District

Led South Hampton Roads’ Group AAA players with 23 points per game and averaged 13 rebounds and 3 blocks to help lead the Bulldogs to the Southeastern District regular-season and tournament titles

Suitors include Marquette, Virginia Commonwealth, Georgetown, Maryland and University of South Florida

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Sorry bcgruber but a guy this BIG GUY deserves proper acknowledgment. King Fort Devante Gardner is in Tampa right now and he's having fun. 

Greg Aumen's story. Also the video linked to that story is a year old. Gardner is reportedly down to 280 and probably 6-8 instead of 6-9.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/04/big-man-69-300pound-gardner-visiting-usf.html

I like where Heath is going right here. We need a Big Man in this class and this guy has great upside. He already has soft hands and good footwork which is hard or impossible to teach. Imo this guy is a strength and conditioning regime away from being a force in college basketball. The comparisons to Texas' Big Man Dexter Pittman excites me. Btw if we don't get him then we likely will be playing against him. Scary though having Waverly Austin play against this guy.

Like the story said he is down to USF and Marquette.

This is what he is saying about his trip to USF via facebook.

At sum place called Lee Roy Selmon's throwing down on sum ribs

n USF having a good time chillin n the hotel 4 rite now waitin to go back out with the team..SN: its so hot down here that u sweat n the air condition lol.

The beach sound good..ready 4 thursday so I can go to south flordia beach n Tampa, Flordia with USF

Davante Gardner led his King’s Fork basketball team this past season to a 24-3 record. Gardner led the way in the paint to the Bulldogs’ second straight undefeated season through the Southeastern District, KF’s third consecutive district tourney title and fourth straight year reaching the Eastern Region Tournament.

Last week, KF’s senior center was awarded with a spot on the VHSCA (Virginia High School Coaches Association) Group AAA All-State Team as the top center in the state.

Gardner surpassed 1,000 career points, becoming the third Bulldog player to reach the milestone, early this past season. Gardner’s classmate, forward Jay Copeland, became KF’s fourth 1,000-point scorer a little later in the season.

Gardner finished his three-year varsity career with 1,431 points and 992 rebounds. This season, Gardner averaged 23 points, 13 rebounds and two blocks per game.

More than stats though, Gardner’s leadership ability was tested after senior guards Jaquon Parker and Jamar Wertz graduated from KF’s 2008-09 state championship team, with Parker going on to the University of Cincinnati and Wertz going to Maryland-Baltimore County.

The first-team all-state honor, after Gardner was a second-team all-state player as a junior, is just one sign of Gardner’s improvement.

“It feels real, real good,†Gardner said.

“Vocally, putting forth my best effort all the time and getting my team involved,†are the areas Gardner feels he’s grown the most in.

Normally, a center finds it tough to be a team leader. A team’s point guard usually is charged with distributing the ball and organizing his team on the floor.

“Davante was more vocal than he ever had been. He stepped up for us in big games. He said ‘give me the ball. I’ll put the team on my back and let’s go,’†King’s Fork head coach Joshua Worrell said. “That part of his game grew a lot.â€

Gardner, while being 6-foot-8, has the unique ability to shoot, handle and pass the ball anywhere on the floor. Learning when and how to use that ability best was another growing process during his last three years.

“Coach (Worrell) let me do more of that stuff, as long as I was smart with it and not just joking around with it,†Gardner said.

Many games this season, Gardner led the Bulldogs in assists and steals as well as points, rebounds and blocks. A college coach is unlikely to turn Gardner into his next point guard, but clearly Gardner’s college prospects are exciting.

Big East schools South Florida and Marquette, along with Virginia Commonwealth, Ball State and more are recruiting Gardner.

“It’s kind of hard to deal with. Both (South Florida and Marquette) are very good schools. I’m just trying to find the best fit and where I’ll be most successful,†Gardner said.

“It’s special. It’s something to be very proud of. It’s tough to be one of the top five players in the state,†Worrell said. “It’s a great accomplishment and he’s the one that did the work to get it.â€

http://www.suffolknewsherald.com/news/2010/mar/25/kfs-gardner-makes-first-team-all-state/

The guy has lost weight as you can see. He's looking good in this photo

392281000.jpg

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

That is the understatement of the year.  Please pick us!  You are a perfect fit and a big need for us. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,629
  • Days Won:  424

The guy has lost weight as you can see. He's looking good in this photo

392281000.jpg

That's a high schooler?? ..... and I love the nickname "Ox"!

15939_image0_20070502_auto.jpg

The latest from the OX

Just got back from the cheese cake factor n boy SHEESH I'm so full I'm bout to pop..chillin at the hotel now waitin til 8 to go back out with the USF family to the coach crib n have more fun SN: they got a tough basketball team n mite go all the n the NCAA (USF Bulls)

We are looking good right now. Lots of momentum for USF in recruiting

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I was actually relieved that Ox only weighs 280. At 300 pounds I was having thoughts of Nigel Dixon, if anyone remembers that enormous guy who used to play for Florida State when I was in school.

Archived