Notre Dame turns down Big10... Rutgers is now on deck?

Cow Pie

Guest nybullsfan

Bitter in the fact that we'll never get the chance to beat them consistently and the bragging rights against us that they leave with.

and the chances that we'll ever see them again in a bowl game are slim

if losing rutgers was the price for gaining tcu and houston, i'd gladly pay it

unfortunately big east will only replace one for one, the won't take the league to more than 8 teams

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,801
  • Days Won:  213

Mizzou makes the most sense to me, second to Notre Dame-- and if they move, Arky might go to the Big 12 -- who knows where the dominoes stop on that scenario

sorry if this has been discussed at length elsewhere (no way to do a search) but what about Villanova moving up to the FBS ranks?

Guest nybullsfan

Mizzou makes the most sense to me, second to Notre Dame-- and if they move, Arky might go to the Big 12 -- who knows where the dominoes stop on that scenario

sorry if this has been discussed at length elsewhere (no way to do a search) but what about Villanova moving up to the FBS ranks?

Nova's not moving up for a loooong time, if ever. they even had a consulting firm come in one year to put the "now way jose" seal of (dis)approval on the pre-made decision of the administration

like football at usf, the current leadership will all have to die off first

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,801
  • Days Won:  213

Nova's not moving up for a loooong time, if ever. they even had a consulting firm come in one year to put the "now way jose" seal of (dis)approval on the pre-made decision of the administration

like football at usf, the current leadership will all have to die off first

that's a shame-- we could use a balanced schedule and they seem to have about the same amount of momentum as UConn did when they finally made the move to 1-A

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

Nova already said they do not have the means to support the jump to FBS.  their attendence is awful. 

• Content Count:  12,293

did Boston College sign a certain type of contract with the ACC saying that they cant leave for X amount of years?  they would make good sense in the big 10 i think.  sure, its not in the midwest but they are a good fit academically and their programs are solid.

although it wouldnt happen id love to join the ACC or SEC.  we just dont fit into the big east and it sucks having those far road games.

• Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

Football-only candidates:

Navy - very good football program that can compete, and program has national appeal; works regionally

UCF - would likely face USF opposition but adds to the Florida footprint

How is UCF a football-only candidate?  Why would C-USA let them stay for the other sports if they move the football team to another conference?

• Content Count:  1,204

The Big Ten is likely interested in maintaining its longstanding rule of all schools being in states that are attached to one another.  New Jersey is attached to Pennsylvania so Rutgers would work. 

I'm not sure if they can get all their teams on board for adding a 12th member.  Mizzou would probably be the only one that would work and they might be interested.  I could see the Big 12 going with TCU if they lose Mizzou, so no big deal there.

The concern for the Big East should be if the PAC-10 also expands to 12 by adding two of Boise, Utah, or BYU.  That would put the five other conferences up to 60 altogether so they could conceivably try to squeeze the BE out.  And they'd all have title games.

Finding a way to add Notre Dame for football would be a big plus, but I doubt it would happen.  And we need them in the other sports to hold all the Catholic schools in place.  Boston College would be a good add and I could see them being interested in leaving the ACC.  The funny thing is that the shared revenue for the "super" ACC isn't all that much more at this point than it is for the Big East. 

The allure for the Big East could be holding its title game in New York City.  Rutgers would be needed for this as would UConn.  They both give the BE a NYC presence that no other conference has, but it also means more games need to be played in NYC.  So games at Yankee Stadium and Citi Field would be good for the conference because strong showings in NYC in presence and on TV mean more revenue.

• Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  2

I would love Boston College coming to the Big East. Who cares then if Rutgers goes. Syracuse needs to stay b/c of basketball.

Archived