• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

how are big east teams in

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,110
  • Days Won:  172

recruiting

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Pitt #1

WVU #2

USF #3

Cincy #4

Those other teams have many more verbals than USF, so there is still time to make up some ground.

WVU might be losing their key Florida recruiter, Doc Holliday, who will probably take the head coaching job at Marshall. If that happens, I expect that some of their Florida verbals will bail on them. A couple of those guys could end up at USF.

USF will likely end up in the top 35.

• Content Count:  260
  • Days Won:  0

Pitt #1

WVU #2

USF #3

Cincy #4

Those other teams have many more verbals than USF, so there is still time to make up some ground.

WVU might be losing their key Florida recruiter, Doc Holliday, who will probably take the head coaching job at Marshall. If that happens, I expect that some of their Florida verbals will bail on them. A couple of those guys could end up at USF.

doc Holliday to MU (Moo) is extremely unlikely, although I will never say never.  Holliday is currently making almost as much as Moo would be able to pay him and he is the heir apparent to the head coach job at WVU.  He will get a raise IMO and be retained at WVU if Moo makes a serious push for him. 

December 16, 2009

Sources: WVU's Doc Holliday heading to Marshall

By Mitch Vingle

Sports Editor

Advertiser

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- West Virginia associate head coach Doc Holliday has left Florida, where he was on the road recruiting for the Mountaineers, and is en route to Huntington.

It also looks like he's en route to the head coaching football job at Marshall.

Sources, who asked to remain anonymous, told the Gazette that no deal has been finalized, but that Holliday is the apparent choice to succeed Mark Snyder, who recently chose to resign rather than be fired as the MU coach.

Holliday, a Hurricane native, has been a silent candidate throughout the process because of his job with the Mountaineers, a rival of MU.

Holliday is expected to meet with MU athletic director Mike Hamrick this evening and Thursday and, if a deal can be finalized, sign a contract.

The sources say WVU head coach Bill Stewart and athletic director Ed Pastilong have been informed of the proceedings.

Holliday is known nationally for his ability to recruit Florida. He began making in-roads while an assistant for ex-Mountaineer head coach Don Nehlen and made waves that eventually led to jobs with North Carolina State and Florida.

When West Virginia officials chose Stewart as their head coach instead of Holliday almost two years ago, Holliday accepted a $406,000 salary to join Stewart as associate head coach. The contract made Holliday one of the nation's highest paid assistants.

Central Michigan's Butch Jones, the other Marshall finalist, reportedly signed a five-year deal to become the head coach at Cincinnati.

http://wvgazette.com/latest/200912160348

December 16, 2009

By Mitch Vingle

Sports Editor

Advertiser

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- West Virginia associate head coach Doc Holliday has left Florida, where he was on the road recruiting for the Mountaineers, and is en route to Huntington.

Sources, who asked to remain anonymous, told the Gazette that no deal has been finalized, but that Holliday is the apparent choice to succeed Mark Snyder, who recently chose to resign rather than be fired as the MU coach.

Holliday, a Hurricane native, has been a silent candidate throughout the process because of his job with the Mountaineers, a rival of MU.

Holliday is expected to meet with MU athletic director Mike Hamrick this evening and Thursday and, if a deal can be finalized, sign a contract.

The sources say WVU head coach Bill Stewart and athletic director Ed Pastilong have been informed of the proceedings.

Holliday is known nationally for his ability to recruit Florida. He began making in-roads while an assistant for ex-Mountaineer head coach Don Nehlen and made waves that eventually led to jobs with North Carolina State and Florida.

When West Virginia officials chose Stewart as their head coach instead of Holliday almost two years ago, Holliday accepted a $406,000 salary to join Stewart as associate head coach. The contract made Holliday one of the nation's highest paid assistants.

Central Michigan's Butch Jones, the other Marshall finalist, reportedly signed a five-year deal to become the head coach at Cincinnati.

yeah - i saw that too - but i will still wait and see.  that is why i did not say no way he goes, it's just a gut feeling that it's more likely he will stay.  jmo.

he's a wvu alum, played at wvu, and wants to coach there for life.... oh wait, i remember how this ended before...lol

December 16, 2009

By Mitch Vingle

Sports Editor

Advertiser

yeah - i saw that too - but i will still wait and see.  that is why i did not say no way he goes, it's just a gut feeling that it's more likely he will stay.  jmo.

he's a wvu alum, played at wvu, and wants to coach there for life.... oh wait, i remember how this ended before...lol

IMO, the head coaching job at MU will be difficult for him to pass up. If he takes it then he could still be a viable candidate for head coach at WVU in the future. He also would be in a better position to land other head coaching jobs elsewhere. 

IMO, the head coaching job at MU will be difficult for him to pass up. If he takes it then he could still be a viable candidate for head coach at WVU in the future. He also would be in a better position to land other head coaching jobs elsewhere. 

dont disagree with you at all - and in fact i am changing my tune - it actually is starting to look like he is going. 

Just "starting" to look like it?  ;)

Breaking News

Wednesday December 16, 2009

Marshall set to hire Holliday as coach

by Chuck McGill

Daily Mail sports writer

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. -- Doc Holliday will be named the next football coach at Marshall, the Daily Mail has learned.

The school could announce the West Virginia associate head coach and recruiting director as the successor to Mark Snyder as early as Thursday. The contract, a five-year deal worth $650,000 plus incentives annually according to sources, is expected to be signed tonight in Huntington.

A source close to Holliday said the 52-year-old Hurricane native has left the recruiting trail in Florida and is en route to Huntington to meet with Marshall Athletic Director Mike Hamrick.

Holliday is a lifelong assistant coach known for his recruiting prowess, especially in Florida. He served as an assistant with the Gators from 2005-07.

A 1975 graduate of Hurricane High School, Holliday was a three-year letter winner as a linebacker at West Virginia University and graduated in 1979.

He got his start in coaching at WVU as a graduate assistant and served on Don Nehlen's staff for 20 seasons.

Holliday also spent five seasons at North Carolina State. He returned to WVU in 2008 after Bill Stewart was elevated to head coach. Holliday is listed as the associate head coach, recruiting coordinator and tight end and fullback coach for the Mountaineers.

Hamrick, in his first year as AD at his alma mater, started the search for a new coach when Snyder resigned Nov. 29 after a fifth consecutive non-winning season. Snyder compiled a 22-37 record in five seasons with the Thundering Herd. 

Marshall will face Ohio in the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl at Ford Field in Detroit on Dec. 26. Defensive coordinator Rick Minter has been named the interim coach.

Contact sportswriter Chuck McGill at chuck.mcg...@dailymail.com or 304-348-1712. His blog is at

http://dailymail.com/News/breakingnews/200912160438

• Content Count:  66,110
  • Days Won:  172

Pitt #1

WVU #2

USF #3

Cincy #4

would they follow holiday to marshall or go somewhere else?  very interesting stuff

DT Richard Ash decommitted from WVU and switched to Michigan. He was one of the guys I thought we might get.

http://westvirginia.scout.com/a.z?s=159&p=8&c=1&nid=4029996

Archived