• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Any of you old school Bulls remember basketball player Jimmy Smith from the 80's

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Playing flag football in this league in AZ, and he introduced himself while I was balling out wearing my USF colors. Said he played hoops for Bobby P back in the '80s if I recall correctly. He's officiating in our league, so I'll see him week to week, but I figured someone on here might know him.

• Content Count:  69
  • Days Won:  0

There was a 'Jay Smith' that played at USF in the 1989-90 season (went to Tampa Bay Tech). But no 'Jimmy Smith.' Played in 16 games, scored 28 points. Jay Smith is in the team picture that year also.

• Content Count:  1,433

I was scratching my head on that one...I do remember Jay Smith but didn't see much of him.

• Content Count:  1,797

Jay Smith played HS ball at Tampa Bay Tech where his dad, Jimmy Smith, was the head coach.  We had a kid named Jimmy Bolden from Detroit who didn't play much, transferred to a juco in Michigan and then ended up at Wichita State where he was all-MVC his senior year.  But I don't remember a Jimmy Smith.

Normal

It might be Jay Smith... he said he was from Tampa and that he transferred out after playing for USF. Anyone got a pix of him from back in the day... Might be able to pick him out. He said they lost to Arizona in the NCAA tourney.

• Content Count:  4,642

i was born in 83... sorry lol

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,580
  • Days Won:  423

He's sitting down, 4th from the left (2nd player) .... Good luck.

ncaabulls.jpg

I know it's fuzzy, but that looks like him... albeit he's younger in the photo. Got any stats on him or know anything about him? Made for a good conversation topic and we're gonna grab drinks down the road and talk some Bulls. Thanks Triple B.

• Content Count:  1,797

Here's one you'll like Terry.  I was at a practice once when Jay and Tony Armstrong got into a little fracas.  Paschal had to put them both in time out  :D.  Ask Jay about that.  Jay was a 2" shorter, not quite as smooth Altron.  He was a good defensive player, but he had trouble scoring.  On those teams during that era Coach Paschal only played about 6 guys.  Jay was not in the top 6-7 so he did not see much action.

If I remember correctly Jay also high jumped for TBT.  He may have gotten up to 6' 6" or so.  He seemed like a pretty good kid.

Normal

Archived