• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Do we miss Dan Carney ?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Does a coach have that much of an impact ? 

Are we lacking sacks because Carney has moved on ?

Are we lacking sacks because Mike Jenkens and Trae Williams are gone ?

How has the middle of the line played so far this year ?

Lack of turnovers because we are playing a very vanilla defense ?

Turnovers will come ?

• Content Count:  505

I'm not sure yet.  I think our defense has played really well so far.  I think the lack of sacks has more to do with the types of plays our opponents are running.  Short routes and runs.  Kansas is the only team to actually move the ball on our defense, and I think they may be one of the best offenses in the country.  They ran plays that take our dline out the action.  Screen passes, quick strikes, and the athleticism of their qb allowed him to scramble and make plays like Grothe does.

Our defense is #12 in the country in total yards.  That is great.  Special teams and an interception led to short fields for UCF, not the defense's fault.  As a matter of fact, they shut UCF down all game except for the very end because of the above mentioned reasons. Kansas is the #15 ranked offense in the country, they are going to move the ball against anyone.  FIU had one play all day, other than that we totally shut them down, even with all of the defense injuries.

I'm not sure how much better our defense can be.  They have played great so far.  We probably will see more of the same game plans the rest of the season, so I'm not expecting great stats from our dline.  Selvie hasn't put up numbers and everyone is still saying how great he is.  Our dline is dictating what the other teams are doing.  Don't look at the stats to grade them.  They are doing so many other things.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&div=IA&site=org

• Content Count:  4,501

I agree Dan - you can't always look just at stats and jump to a conclusion.  The D has played very well this year just a lack of turnovers and sacks which in itself is not always bad but I wonder how much Carney vs the players that are gone had an impact on those.  Your right about KU - Todd is a tough guy to get to.  Lots more games to play and I wonder if those turnovers start to come or are we more of team that just plays rock solid D and doesn't give up much of anything.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,489
  • Days Won:  13

who is Dan Carney?

• Content Count:  1,985

I think the number one reason is that Selvie got HUGE attention with the monster stats he put last season.  This has led to teams writing up plays that have quick releases, short passes, runs away from the MAN, and counters that shift off the movement of the D.  Now, it is our coaching staff's job to figure out how to counter that.  I have noticed a lack of stunts, or moves that build a true overpowering rush. 

If Selvie is double teamed, bring a secong LB off his shoulder to get around.  OL will either have to let him go, or release on Selvie freeing him, and his speed, up to make a play on the ball.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Our DEs have to start containing instead of just crashing down.  We keep getting caught having the QB run outside the pocket.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

who is Dan Carney?

They mean Dan McCarney.

Archived