• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Offensive Gameplanning

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

With the exception of situations so far this year, I feel the offensive play calling has been good.  Good adjustments when needed, etc.  The only problems I have had is in the clock killing play calling.

It seemed like he was intent on practicing his clock killing offense last night after we went up 10-0.  It seemed like a diiferent offense than normal.  Way too conservative.  Playcalling seemed like it was meant to grind the game out, take no chances, don't stretch the defense and just do enough to win.  We threw more to the TE last night than we have in any game in the last 4 years.  I don't remember using the run to set anything up.  2 passe all night to our best playmaker TJ....and thise were both behind the line.

We threw a total of 4 times in the second half.  Only 1 of which was actually downfield.  The only pass in the 4th quarter was the 2nd play of the quarter.  We played the entire game in kill the clock mode

I have never been a big fan of Franks.  I don't know if it is his rule or Leavitt's rule to take the RBs off the field after a fumble, but I hate the practice.  If you are playing to avoid a mistake rather than playing all out you are not as productive.  I don't mind the running back by committee, but I question his use of the proper personnel at times.  Clearly Ford is still not 100%.  3 or 4 tries inside the two and you have a 250 lb back who seemingly gets 7 or 8 yards every carry, why not give him a shot or two to pound the ball.  He talks about about giving the ball to whoever has the hot hand, but that seems like bs at times.  Taylor was rolling for a while in the 3rd then disappears in the 4th qtr.  Plancher  didn't touch the ball once after midway through the 2nd quarter. 

The entire game seemed that we dd not use our normal game plan of balance on offense and the coaches use of personnel seemed more as an excercise in getting snaps under game conditions than actually trying to do anything productive with them.  Just seemed to me the gameplan was come away with a win.  Period.

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

One thing I didn't notice which is a plus was that Grothe near the end ran the clock down better much better, hey

gotta look for any positives you can find in that ugly game.

• Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

My wife and I noticed a pretty sunset off in the distance at one point - sorry that's all I could find..

It's better than last year some times, but not all. A QB keeper on 2nd at 16 comes to mind. Sometimes I think they make a call because they don't think the opponents defense will expect such an ass backwards play.

• Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

Guys, I am sorry but I have to disagree with you all. The O play calling is at least sophomoric. It is predictable, slow in coming to be run, and not worthy to the offense we have. Gregory will NOT be the one to make us a power that we CAN be. We do not utilize what works for us, there is NO misdirection, and Grothe draws DO NOT WORK!! What happened to the slant passes? What happened to the bootlegs? What happened to the utilization of our tight ends? This spread offense every down does not work, it's too predictable. We need to step it up. Until that time we can only expect mediocrity from what could be one of the most explosive offenses in the country...but not with Gregory at the helm.  The Reaper

• Content Count:  17

It seemed to me throughout the entire game yesterday our offensive gameplan was not to lose. If we played that way against an even remotely decent team (like NC State), we would have gotten killed.  It seems like we don't play down to the competition, we playcall down to the competition.    I think they'll step it back up against NC State, but we should be talking about how great BJ Daniels played in the second half, and how great it is that the starting defense got to rest the second half.

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Others have said and I agree, the offensive play calling is way too predictable- ex Ced Hill in motions, hand of to the RB he is in front of.  Rocket science, I don't think so.  Slants, bootlegs, reverses, shovel passes, trick plays, where are they?

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Do we ever run a screen play to a rb? Ever?

• Content Count:  145

I just want to know where the offense that was running against UCF and Kansas went??  Grothe didn't throw over 20 yards down the field all game.  It's like this game should have been in week 1 or 2 where the offense is vanilla.  And it was apparent that our O-Line didn't feel like run blocking the whole game...so I would have had grothe go into gunslinger mode. 

I understand that a win is a win...but really...it feels like a loss.  Especially considering the amount of injuries we sustained.

Thankfully our players had a letdown against a school like FIU...cause against anyone else and we would have a loss today.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Do we ever run a screen play to a rb? Ever?

Yes, we did to Williams in the 3rd quarter yesterday. That was one of the better play calls all day because it beat their blitz perfectly.

Archived