• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Oficially "Big 4"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  356
  • Days Won:  0

At least according to the St. Pete Times"College Football Preview" section in today's paper...

"It's showtime for the state's Big Four, all hoping to become the must-watch program of the season"

Includes a kinda cool cartoon thing with a Bull, Gator, Nole and Hurricane (an ibis?) fighting for a TV remote...

Will take this until the next game against one of these other schools is played. ;D 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

You know Leavitt's response to this.  Until you beat one of 'em, you can't join 'em.  Our next test with one of them will be UM next year at RayJay.  Unless we somehow manage to play one of them in a bowl game.

• Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

I totally agree with the "if you haven't beat 'em, you ain't one of them" thinking.  Its true.  At the same time, I take a bit of comfort knowing that the home paper is officially using the term "Big 4."  That's kind of cool.  I remember thinking about someday having a Big 4 while tailgating for the KY Wesleyan game, and I remember thinking I would be alot older before the paper would be considering us part of the Big 4.

All that being said, I still say we need to beat one of them.  I hope we can say big 4 after we beat Miami next year.

• Content Count:  1,981
  • Days Won:  0

You know Leavitt's response to this.  Until you beat one of 'em, you can't join 'em.  Our next test with one of them will be UM next year at RayJay.  Unless we somehow manage to play one of them in a bowl game.

I think the Big 4 term should be independent of how we do against them. You can lose a game against anyone, so we shouldn't be judge based on whether we can beat 'em or not but on what we do on the Big East and the bowl games. If we win the BE a couple of times in the next few years but we lose to UM and UF, we would still be a big time program nationally.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Great cartoon.

collegescover_2.jpg

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I think the Big 4 term should be independent of how we do against them. You can lose a game against anyone, so we shouldn't be judge based on whether we can beat 'em or not but on what we do on the Big East and the bowl games. If we win the BE a couple of times in the next few years but we lose to UM and UF, we would still be a big time program nationally.

I agree.  I think a BEast title and a BCS game will change the scenery for good.  Though, being in the rankings, especially over 2 of the big 3, is pretty good on its own.  We really need to finish the year in the polls, with UM and FSU below us, to make the poll a legitimate argument.  Hell, UCF could beat Miami this year, but I hardly think that will make it a Big 5.  UCF will still be a garbage team in a garbage conference.

It will take more than beating one of the 3 in a down year to enter into the equation.  We are on track to be able to enter without having to beat one of them, and truthfully that's what will make it a Big 4.  Though with the upcoming series against Miami we'll have to win a few of those games to keep status.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

That is pretty cool artwork... props to the artist.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

the artwork is awesome... although i don't see how the Gayturd is on its back on the ground while the Bull and Ibis essentially fight for the top.

that isn't very representative of the actual state of football here in Florida, where UF is #1 and we are, at least judging by the past 2 seasons, #2...

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

then again, it is a hometown paper so they have every reason to put us on top.  ;)

Archived