• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

RayJay to be the Neutral Site for Irish/Canes?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I know this is just a rumor at this point, but it looks like Miami is looking to add ND to their future schedule.  They appear to be inquiring about the neutral site game ND has promised to alumni and fans.  Could it be Tampa?  Possibly.  I guess you could also throw Orlando and Jacksonville in there.  This is from one of the blogs on ESPN.com .

According to the Miami Herald, Miami athletics director Kirby Hocutt said the university is interested in speaking with Notre Dame about possibly renewing the rivalry.

Hocutt said UM won't play FIU but wants to book marquee opponents and would be interested in speaking with Notre Dame when it hires an athletic director about one of its new annual prime-time neutral site NBC games.

This little nugget was buried deep in a story about Dolphin Stadium, but has made message boards for both schools buzz. These teams have not played each other since 1990 when Notre Dame beat the 'Canes, 29-20. But the nine games the two teams played during the 1980s were some of the most memorable in college football history.

Who could forget the 31-30 Irish win in South Bend in 1988? Lou Holtz vs. Jimmy Johnson in a game that a poll conducted by Notre Dame concluded was the greatest victory in Fighting Irish history. It was one of three the whole decade for the Irish after winning all nine meetings against Miami in the 1970s.

Yes, these have been two struggling programs of late. But bringing the series back might rekindle the fire that made both of these teams some of the greatest programs in college football history.

• Content Count:  2,478
  • Days Won:  0

Miami is going to be building this year. But next season they won't be a pushover.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

IMO, UM has morphed into a caricature of itself.  It's coaching is highly suspect (Shannon motivates them to get shut the F out by Virginia in the last game in the OB?) and its players seem to think being a member of the "U" is a proclamation that they are great players rather than an obligation to uphold excellence.

Everybody down there is farts and giggles about a bunch of high school seniors who are going to turn them around.  Seems like a lot more wishing than knowing going on down there at the "U" these days.

Truth is, they need Notre Dame more than ever these days.  IMO, they are the biggest losers in the ACC/BE expansion dance of a few years ago.

• Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

ND will never willingly play the 'Canes again.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I seriously doubt it happens.

USF was hoping we'd get to play ND a neutral site game in Orlando in 2011.

Instead, ND got a NON-Florida team to play them there.

ND also got a NON-Texas team to play them in Texas.

I don't think ND needs Miami, or any Florida team, in order to fill up a Florida stadium. They can get someone from out of state who they think they can beat more easily and who won't have that many fans in attendance.

I think the Miami AD is HOPING, just like we were.

• Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

Everybody down there is farts and giggles about a bunch of high school seniors who are going to turn them around.  Seems like a lot more wishing than knowing going on down there at the "U" these days.

Yep, their class from last year is about average for them in terms of quality.  It is just a much larger class.

This upcoming season might be the ugliest yet for them.

ND will never willingly play the 'Canes again.

Not so sure of this.  What is your reasoning?  But UM does need ND more than the other way around.  ND could schedule anyone to play in Orlando and sell it out.  ND is trying to get a foothole in Florida for recruiting purposes with this neutral site game.  It makes sense to play UM anywhere in the state except for their home field.    

I don't think ND needs Miami, or any Florida team, in order to fill up a Florida stadium. They can get someone from out of state who they think they can beat more easily and who won't have that many fans in attendance.

Mama, as far as I know the Irish haven't actually scheduled anyone for this neutral game yet.  I know they have Wazzou in San Antonio to start '09, and I think they have UConn at the Meadowlands in a few years, but I haven't heard or seen an opponent listed yet for the Florida barnstorming game.

Edit-  you're right Mama, apparently the Irish added Army to play in Orlando.  Somehow I missed that announcement.

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

orlando is harldy neutral

ND would nevergo for it

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

IMO, UM has morphed into a caricature of itself.  It's coaching is highly suspect (Shannon motivates them to get shut the F out by Virginia in the last game in the OB?) and its players seem to think being a member of the "U" is a proclamation that they are great players rather than an obligation to uphold excellence.

Truth is, they need Notre Dame more than ever these days.  IMO, they are the biggest losers in the ACC/BE expansion dance of a few years ago.

usf needs to beat miami before we can talk trash

Archived