• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Top 10 BCS v non-BCS games for 2008. USF @ UCiF #3

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

http://inthebleachers.net/non-bcs-conference/conference-usa/top-10-underrated-non-conference-games/

3.  USF @ UCF

UCF has a tuneup game against South Carolina State to start, but the season kicks off with a bang in week two against in-state rival USF.  The Bulls have already risen to prominence in the state with Jim Leavitt creating the program into a Big East conference contender.  Central Florida on the other hand is still trying to become one of the big boys and that’s even more difficult now that Florida Atlantic is surging.

This game has a load of importance for both schools.  For USF, another win against UCF would assert their dominance in the series and a win for UCF would mean the Golden Knights are capable of taking the next step in their quest to become one of Florida’s state powers.

The only problem here is that UCF is short a QB with experience and Kevin Smith.  Smith was one of the better backs in the entire nation and he was basically George O’Leary’s offense.  Even so, they are one of the better teams in C-USA and the fact that they got drilled last year against the Bulls should only add fuel to the fire.  Hopefully, a change of scenery will allow for a more competitive game.  Hey, we saw what happened to Texas, right?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,241

Who writes this stuff?  ;D

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

The only problem here is that UCF is short a QB with experience and Kevin Smith.  Smith was one of the better backs in the entire nation and he was basically George O’Leary’s offense.  Even so, they are one of the better teams in C-USA and the fact that they got drilled last year against the Bulls should only add fuel to the fire.  Hopefully, a change of scenery will allow for a more competitive game.  Hey, we saw what happened to Texas, right?

I really fail to see how a downgrade at QB and a black hole at running back will even give them a shot.  They have the same crappy corners and safeties that got repeatedly smoked by our receivers.

I don't think their tin can will account for 52 pts, no offense, and a bad secondary...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,604
  • Days Won:  424

For USF, another win against UCF would assert their dominance in the series and a win for UCF would mean the Golden Knights are capable of taking the next step in their quest to become one of Florida’s state powers.

Please ... the dominance has already been asserted. A win by the Kanigits, possible considering the magnitude of this game for the UCFers and the Kansas game looming less than a week away, would do nothing but assuage a few egos over there ... And didn't they drop "Golden"?

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

The writer loses all credibility with the "Golden" adjective and the fact that he/she does not reveal that this will be the last of the "rivalry".

The writer loses all credibility with the "Golden" adjective and the fact that he/she does not reveal that this will be the last of the "rivalry".

I don't think the Golden adjective loses him credibility.  I think the fact they lost their entire offense and have no defense, but think their tin can could keep them in the running is what really loses him credibility.

I didn't even know they dropped Golden, but why should I? Or anyone apart from UCF fans for that matter?

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

They dropped it before last season.  After their mediocre RB Fool's Gold ran up his stats against defensive powerhouses like UAB and Memphis, they achieved their best season to date and garnered much national attention.

That, my friend, is why anyone talking about UCF should know that their Showers are no longer Golden.

• Content Count:  711

They dropped it before last season.  After their mediocre RB Fool's Gold ran up his stats against defensive powerhouses like UAB and Memphis, they achieved their best season to date and garnered much national attention.

That, my friend, is why anyone talking about UCF should know that their Showers are no longer Golden.

He ran up over 200 yds vs. Texas and over 100 vs. Miss State, too (who held Darren McFadden to 52 yds).  Rushing for over 2500 in any league is hardly mediocre.  Give credit where it's due.

I think it's going to be another tough game for UCF, though.  USF looks like their gonna be pretty **** good this year.  The QB position isn't really a concern considering we didn't have a stand out QB last year...so it's pretty much a wash.  The RB position is up in the air, though...so we'll see.  Our d-backs are pretty good this year...they only had one bad game last year vs. USF.

He ran up over 200 yds vs. Texas and over 100 vs. Miss State, too (who held Darren McFadden to 52 yds).  Rushing for over 2500 in any league is hardly mediocre.  Give credit where it's due.

I think it's going to be another tough game for UCF, though.  USF looks like their gonna be pretty **** good this year.  The QB position isn't really a concern considering we didn't have a stand out QB last year...so it's pretty much a wash.   The RB position is up in the air, though...so we'll see.  Our d-backs are pretty good this year...they only had one bad game last year vs. USF.

Consisdering the game is early in the season it is hardly a wash.  You had a crappy QB who knew the system and ran the team.  Now you have a crappy QB learning the system trying to run the team.

That's a big difference.  Later in the season it could wash out and even improve, but not by game 2.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

The place will be rocking.  IMO, we're gonna get jumped early in this game (I predict UCF scores twice in the first quarter).  Hopefully, we'll settle and exert our talent advantage (if we do we will win going away). . . . I got a hunch Mike Ford will be the MVP of this game.

Anyone who thinks superior USF teams are invincible in road games against inferior talent needs to watch the 2007 Rutgers game. . . . or the 2007 UConn game. . . . or the 2006 Cincy game. . . . or the 2005 UConn game.

Archived