Pelphrey to be interviewed

flsportsfan83

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

The only thing I dont like about Pelphrey is that he may very well be the next coack at UK. If he stayed here for 3 years and got the program on the right track that would be great. We could go out and get that big name. If Tubby got fired next year that and Pelphrey moved in that would be a major set back.

That's why I don't think JP is the guy for USF.  Tubby WILL be gone in 2 years more than likely and everything I hear locally here in Mobile where South is is that JP has already been told he is Tubby's successor.  It could happen as soon as next year some are saying along with a bunch of other rumors such as Kentucky boosters helping to supplement JPs income if he'll just stay at South until it happens and that's why he didn't actively go after the Ole Miss job.

If this happens, it would be a shocker to us in Mobile as his wife LOVES Mobile and it would take much more than $400K to even get close to making it an attractive move to her when his current salary in this area goes much further than $600K would in Tampa.  Not too mention they KNOW the Kentucky pay day is coming and he's got his WHOLE team (best he's had at South yet and a sure fire bet to win 23-25 games next year) except one kid, a center I believe and he's got two new guys coming in who can fill that role.

I'm not saying it can't happen after I saw the craziness around here that happened with the Saban hire, but I wouldn't bet on JP being a LONG TERM fit at USF.  If we got him, we'd get 2 years max and that's not what USF needs.  We can't overpay enough against Kentucky to keep him when they come calling.

Just my two cents...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruger7mmmag

• Bull94

• Held_AccountaBull

• Joe

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

CBS Sportsline.com has the main story on the college basketball page about Pelphrey. I'd post the story but it's like 2 pages so I'll just post the link. http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10071660

I won't mind if he is hired, but I'm just worried about his recruiting.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,428
  • Content Count:  98,374
  • Days Won:  490

Univeristy of South Alabama coach John Pelphrey is on the University of South Florida's radar. USA Athletic Director  Joe Gottfried told WKRG TV Sports Director Randy Patrick the school contacted Pelphrey over the weekend to guage his interest in the job. Gottfried said Pelphrey in out of town recruiting this week and he doesn't expect any movement, either way,  until later in the week. CBS Sportsline reported the Jaguar coach is near the top of South Florida's list to replace Robert McCullum who was fired at the end of the season.  Pelphrey, who has led USA to back to back 20 win seasons, was a finalist for the Ole Miss job last year after leading the Jags to the NCAA Tournament.

Link

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

USF also reportedly sought permission to speak with Eastern Kentucky coach Jeff Neubauer, a former West Virginia assistant, but he was not interested. EKU AD Mark Sandy would not comment on "personal matters

:-? :-? :-?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

No way Pelphrey is in line for the Kentucky job. They have bigger fish to fry. They aren't going to buyout Tubby for $4 M and then bring in the current coach at USA.

Tubby is gone this year. They aren't going to wait 2 years. Anyone not smart enough to sign Brewer from UF and Lofton from UT when they were begging to go to Kentucky is a terrible recruiter. Their boosters have said they have no problem coming up with the $4M buyout.

I think they make a hard run at Donovan after the tourney. He didn't sign an extension last year when offered. He is either going to take a huge pile of cash from Kentucky or use it as leverage to sign with Florida. Personally I think he could be gone after this year. All his players are leaving.

If they don't get Donovan then I think they bring in Gillespie. They want a guy who has proven he can coach at a higher level then the Sunbelt conference.

He should be a good fit for us though. Especially considering we still have Sunbelt facilities!!

This guy would be my #1 choice.

funny how you think this guy is such a great fit when he has a mediocre at best record over the last 5 years in the Sunbelt Conference.

You were one to always bring up Macs record. How about Pelfrey's  first 3 years at USA??

He was 36-48 in the freaking sunbelt and somehow this guy is your savior?

What a joke. You would have wanted him fired if you were a USA student after 3 years and now you think he is our BE basketball program's savior.

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

He was on a recruiting trip at the Junior College championship...Sigh.

What are the chances of USF getting a coach that doesn't have to scour the JC universe for talent?

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

I'm not worried about the quantity of recruits that he will bring in, but I am worried about the quality of recruits he will bring in. Will they be good enough to compete in the big east or not. Could be wrong but thats just my opinion. Again I won't mind if he is hired but thats my only worry.

He was on a recruiting trip at the Junior College championship...Sigh.

What are the chances of USF getting a coach that doesn't have to scour the JC universe for talent?

I would love for us to make the financial committment to make a run at Grant. He recruits our state so well. I'm just not sure we are ready to do that though.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477

Why can't this program get a top notch coach with a known quantity.

Why do we always have to recruit Eastern Michigan, South Alabama, NorthWest Utah Coastal..

can't we get someone from a top program.

sigh