Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  1,174
  • Days Won:  3

Oh, so you're looking at a singe athletic season,and it's one you didn't win the Learfield?

The Learfield Cup doesn't support his theory so that piece of evidence has been discarded...

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Oh, so you're looking at a singe athletic season,and it's one you didn't win the Learfield?

The argument usually works like this. We acknowledge they've had a better football team the past few years, but that's about it. Then they tell us about football the past few years.

This is a new one I haven't seen. We win the overall trophy for most successful athletic department in the conference, then they say only head to head counts. Sort of like how when we would whip their ass in football, but they'd win the CUSA and say titles are all that matters.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

Reference a few posts up, but I read a quick article on the GOL-as-interim-AD today in the breakroom (Slantinel) that said one of the UCF president's reasons for installing GOL is that he is about the only name-brand face that anyone in the P5 would recognize, so it should help their P5 upgrade prospects. Goes on to say how much he doesn't fit the mold for an AD...no kidding, LOL, and he'd probably be one of the first in line to admit it. If I'm in a P5 board for expansion, I think "hmm, they went that far? Let's see how we can toy with these kids".

They installed GOL as AD on the basis of name recognition? What is he known for by P5 athletic staff?! Lying through his teeth on an application to Notre Dame and then getting fired before coaching a down? Using slurs towards his players routinely? Potentially contributing to the death of a player? Oh he's had a few good seasons lately... yeah that's all they'll remember about him.
Be real. Mention the names George O'Leary and Willie Taggart to the president of Texas. Which one of the two is he/she going to recognize?

Otherwise known as: any publicity is good publicity.

If u change the name from Willie Taggart to Mark Harlan would that change anything given that Harlan has a connection to Texas
What's his tie to Texas?

I thought I read that he is really good friends with the ad at Texas but I might have heard wrong

The Texas AD came from Arizona State so I'm sure Harlan knows him well from his UCLA days

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Reference a few posts up, but I read a quick article on the GOL-as-interim-AD today in the breakroom (Slantinel) that said one of the UCF president's reasons for installing GOL is that he is about the only name-brand face that anyone in the P5 would recognize, so it should help their P5 upgrade prospects. Goes on to say how much he doesn't fit the mold for an AD...no kidding, LOL, and he'd probably be one of the first in line to admit it. If I'm in a P5 board for expansion, I think "hmm, they went that far? Let's see how we can toy with these kids".

They installed GOL as AD on the basis of name recognition? What is he known for by P5 athletic staff?! Lying through his teeth on an application to Notre Dame and then getting fired before coaching a down? Using slurs towards his players routinely? Potentially contributing to the death of a player? Oh he's had a few good seasons lately... yeah that's all they'll remember about him.
Be real. Mention the names George O'Leary and Willie Taggart to the president of Texas. Which one of the two is he/she going to recognize?

Otherwise known as: any publicity is good publicity.

If u change the name from Willie Taggart to Mark Harlan would that change anything given that Harlan has a connection to Texas
What's his tie to Texas?

I thought I read that he is really good friends with the ad at Texas but I might have heard wrong

The Texas AD came from Arizona State so I'm sure Harlan knows him well from his UCLA days

Gotcha. I was looking through his bio trying to find when Harlan was at Texas.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,956
  • Days Won:  436

Better overall athletic program? Is that measured in head to head, NCAA tourney appearances or conference championships? Because those are just the categories UCF is leading in so you must be using something that I am not thinking of?

Since we just won the measure of athletic department trophy for the AAC, I am thinking that.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-651684.html

:facepalm:

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

It's summer, so I'm treating myself to a bottle.

fungus-gnat-off-407-p.png

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166
  • Days Won:  1

The argument usually works like this. We acknowledge they've had a better football team the past few years, but that's about it. Then they tell us about football the past few years.

This is a new one I haven't seen. We win the overall trophy for most successful athletic department in the conference, then they say only head to head counts. Sort of like how when we would whip their ass in football, but they'd win the CUSA and say titles are all that matters.

Reminds me of an argument I had with one of their fans who didn't like a call because the referees followed the rulebook. He argued that I didn't know what the rule was. When I pulled up the rule on my phone he then argued it was a stupid rule so it shouldn't count.

I have a feeling one of their majors is poor debating.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,652
  • Days Won:  51

Announcing plans to build an OCS now is the right move...

http://newsok.com/which-combination-of-schools-is-the-best-big-12-option/article/5432044

Compare that with the most recent Big 12 expansion. West Virginia was a major-conference program that just got squeezed out by politics and geography. WVU football was Big 12-ready. And so was TCU. Here’s how we know. The Horned Frogs were building their jewel of a ballpark, the remade Amon Carter Stadium, at the time of their Big 12 invitation. There were no promises from the Frogs. No declaration that they were an up-and-comer.

TCU acted like a big-time program. It won the Rose Bowl, then set about the business of proving it belonged. It raised the money and broke the ground and built the stadium, without any promises from a major conference. When the opportunity arose, TCU was ready, and it had the remade Amon Carter for the Frogs’ first year in the Big 12.

That’s what Cincinnati and Boise State and the Florida schools and East Carolina need to do. Don’t tell us what you would bring to the table in the Big 12. Tell us what you’re bringing to the table now in college football.

Edited by Sellular1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,956
  • Days Won:  436

http://newsok.com/which-combination-of-schools-is-the-best-big-12-option/article/5432044

Compare that with the most recent Big 12 expansion. West Virginia was a major-conference program that just got squeezed out by politics and geography. WVU football was Big 12-ready. And so was TCU. Here’s how we know. The Horned Frogs were building their jewel of a ballpark, the remade Amon Carter Stadium, at the time of their Big 12 invitation. There were no promises from the Frogs. No declaration that they were an up-and-comer.

TCU acted like a big-time program. It won the Rose Bowl, then set about the business of proving it belonged. It raised the money and broke the ground and built the stadium, without any promises from a major conference. When the opportunity arose, TCU was ready, and it had the remade Amon Carter for the Frogs’ first year in the Big 12.

That’s what Cincinnati and Boise State and the Florida schools and East Carolina need to do. Don’t tell us what you would bring to the table in the Big 12. Tell us what you’re bringing to the table now in college football.

TCU has had an OCS since 1930. They just rebuilt a nicer one .... kind of like RayJay already is.

Cincinnati just finished a major expansion of Nipper Stadium... Boise's problem is outside of football they have crappy other sports and other facilities... same with ECU.

The only facilities USF is "missing" would be an indoor practice facility, which most programs do not have... and it's own stadium.

Harlan knows the OCS is important, but you don't do any public campaigns before you get major pledges.  Let's say Harlan decides we need $100 million in donations for an OCS... he will need to get 30 to 40 million pledged before he announces a campaign... and the first big donors will be on the "committee" that guides the fundraising (meaning they will be helping to recruit other larger donors).

We don't want to raise $100,000 to $200,000 from 5,000 die hard fans.  It's just that simple.