• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

fCWT as a recruiter

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

Believe I read somewhere that IF Mitchell Wilcox does not get drafted that it would be 2 years in a row that USF didn't have a player drafted.  Know we're a couple of days before knowing for sure but it just got me thinking.  And there really isn't much else to talk about.  It seemed to be a commonly held belief that fCWT was a great recruiter.  Does/would this change anyone's mind?  Was/is he that good a recruiter?

Edited by CousinRicky

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Draft is loaded with TEs this year. He is almost better not to be drafted then look for a team where he has a chance to stick. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,495
  • Days Won:  10

While he does have a reputation as a good recruiter, I think the main issue has been in player development that would put a player in position to play at the next level. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

Believe I read somewhere that IF Mitchell Wilcox does not get drafted that it would be 2 years in a row that USF didn't have a player drafted.  Know we're a couple of days before knowing for sure but it just got me thinking.  And there really isn't much else to talk about.  It seemed to be a commonly held belief that fCWT was a great recruiter.  Does/would this change anyone's mind?  Was/is he that good a recruiter?

His players got to 10 wins in spite of Strong and Gilbert ...... This subject isn't even debatable in regards to USF.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,846
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

I thought he was a good recruiter but he did have one terrific class his first full recruiting season.  He was full of moxy and he pulled in the 40th ranked class that was much better than that and this class was the reason for his success.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

2 hours ago, Friscobull said:

I thought he was a good recruiter but he did have one terrific class his first full recruiting season.  He was full of moxy and he pulled in the 40th ranked class that was much better than that and this class was the reason for his success.

So my question is why aren't there guys getting drafted?  Not just at you BTW.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

37 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Because they had terrible coaches that failed to highlight their skills? 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,846
  • Days Won:  67

47 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

That miracle class is long gone and I go with player development coupled with Willie was on cruise control and knew Mack, Adams, MVS, Senat, Q, Deatrick, D’ernest, Hector etc...we’re going to spring him to a big payday and they did but they are all long gone and he never reloaded.  The turd that came in behind him would have probably kept Selvie as a Center, he made players worse and that is why we have no representation in the draft.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We are two whole seasons removed from the best class in USF history being seniors. I will say not having a 2018 member drafted may be shared blame on fCWT. But 2019 is ALL on fCCS. Remember CWT left us in 2016. That is 3 seasons ago. The man has had 3 jobs since then. Oregon (should have never left), FSU, and now FAU. Let's see how Willie looks with a fairly full cupboard coming off an 11 win season.   

• Topic Count:  353
  • Content Count:  4,091
  • Days Won:  56

Both Norman and Atterbury looked like they might eventually be on a trajectory to be draftable players early in their careers, but neither developed into dominant linemen. Who to blame? The players? Their position coaches? Both?