• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

fCWT as a recruiter

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

5 hours ago, Triple B said:

His players got to 10 wins in spite of Strong and Gilbert ...... This subject isn't even debatable in regards to USF.

That's a good point

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

7 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Believe I read somewhere that IF Mitchell Wilcox does not get drafted that it would be 2 years in a row that USF didn't have a player drafted.  Know we're a couple of days before knowing for sure but it just got me thinking.  And there really isn't much else to talk about.  It seemed to be a commonly held belief that fCWT was a great recruiter.  Does/would this change anyone's mind?  Was/is he that good a recruiter?

Future NFL draft picks are not the bar when it comes to recruiting success at the AAC level.

SEC teams sure.  Not us...

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

He was recruiting for college, not the NFL. As we know, USF has shown a persistent inability to recruit talent for an NFL style system. Thus, while this is an interesting data point, it doesn't change my view on him as a recruiter.

Edit: and for the record, Wilcox was overrated, just like every TE we've ever had... people (including me) are desperate for a real stud TE at USF. We've had glimmers but never fulfilled promise.

Edited by WWMJD

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,345
  • Days Won:  8

3 hours ago, WWMJD said:

He was recruiting for college, not the NFL. As we know, USF has shown a persistent inability to recruit talent for an NFL style system. Thus, while this is an interesting data point, it doesn't change my view on him as a recruiter.

I was going to post something similar

Comparing NFL draft picks to college recruiting is similar to trying to equate high school star ratings to college wins - they are fun data points but really do not mean much

CWT put a fun, dynamic, exciting product on the field.  Nothing that has happened since he left USF will change that image for me

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

On 4/21/2020 at 1:53 PM, CousinRicky said:

So my question is why aren't there guys getting drafted?  Not just at you BTW.

I think if Willie stayed, Darnell Salomon was on his way to getting drafted. I'm not sure who else, but clearly Strong had a negative impact on the players (football wise only). These guys want to have fun balling out living the dream (willie), and he was a buzzkill. It was extremely obvious the way he dismissed 20+ good players. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Player developmental matters and and we had 3 crap years of it. Just look at guys like Atterbury, Wilcox, Norman, Solomon etc all either never developed further or took a nose dive in their performance. You can recruit your ass off but if you can't develop the kids none of that potential matters. There was talent on this roster before CCS took over he just never did anything with it. 3 seasons is a lifetime in football years and CCS did nothing with that lifetime to develop the talent on the roster 

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 1