• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Andre Davis Back At Bucs, Trying For Roster Spot

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Per Greg Auman, he's at the rookie camp as a tryout player.

And if you haven't heard, the Times bought the Tribune Tuesday and immediately gave 100 employees an mmediate termination notice, apparently illegally.

https://tampabayguardian.com/2016/05/04/tampa-bay-times-violated-federal-law-human-decency/

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

He's gotta keep rolling with the punches, it's a tough game when you're not a name brand.

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

On 5/6/2016 at 2:10 PM, slick1ru2 said:

Per Greg Auman, he's at the rookie camp as a tryout player.

And if you haven't heard, the Times bought the Tribune Tuesday and immediately gave 100 employees an mmediate termination notice, apparently illegally.

https://tampabayguardian.com/2016/05/04/tampa-bay-times-violated-federal-law-human-decency/

doesnt look illegal to me. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Isn't Florida an "at will" employment state?  

8 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:

Isn't Florida an "at will" employment state?  

Read the article, it gives the details on which Federal laws were broken.

9 hours ago, cmhatter said:

doesnt look illegal to me. 

It does when you read this:

https://doleta.gov/programs/factsht/warn.htm

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Prior to the layoff, what was the total number of employees for the Times and the Tribune combined?  If the amount of layoffs were less than 33% of the total workforce, WARN would not be triggered.

This is referred to in your government link above, but explained better on the WARN page on Wikipedia:

The WARN Act also is not activated when the following coverage thresholds are unmet:

• If a plant closing or a mass layoff results in fewer than 50 workers losing their jobs at a single employment site;
  • If 50 to 499 workers lose their jobs and that number is less than 33 percent of the employer’s total, active workforce at a single employment site (this part is not referred to on the government link);
  • If a layoff is for 6 months or less; or
  • If work hours are not reduced 50 percent in each month of any 6-month period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worker_Adjustment_and_Retraining_Notification_Act

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,463
  • Days Won:  422

42 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Prior to the layoff, what was the total number of employees for the Times and the Tribune combined?  If the amount of layoffs were less than 33% of the total workforce, WARN would not be triggered.

This is referred to in your government link above, but explained better on the WARN page on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worker_Adjustment_and_Retraining_Notification_Act

Here's the site with the actual law. I'm not sure you can use the combined number of employees because the Trib might be considered a separate "plant" and would fall under the following:

(2) the term “plant closing” means the permanent or temporary shutdown of a single site of employment,

( b ) Exclusions from definition of employment loss

(1)
In the case of a sale of part or all of an employer’s business, the seller shall be responsible for providing notice for any plant closing or mass layoff in accordance with section 2102 of this title, up to and including the effective date of the sale. After the effective date of the sale of part or all of an employer’s business, the purchaser shall be responsible for providing notice for any plant closing or mass layoff in accordance with section 2102 of this title. Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, any person who is an employee of the seller (other than a part-time employee) as of the effective date of the sale shall be considered an employee of the purchaser immediately after the effective date of the sale.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

I'm no lawyer and didn't spend the night at a Holiday Inn Express.  But I thought I read somewhere that the Times had been doing the printing for the Trib for a while.  Don't know how that might affect things. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,463
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, Bourbon Bull said:

I'm no lawyer and didn't spend the night at a Holiday Inn Express.  But I thought I read somewhere that the Times had been doing the printing for the Trib for a while.  Don't know how that might affect things. 

Remember reading the same thing and don't know how it would affect this either.