• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Shouldn't Lee Roy Selmon Be Recognized?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

These are people formally recognized by the state as great Floridians based on a set of criteria. Several pro ball players and Tony Dungy are on it. Shouldn't Selmon be included? 

http://dos.myflorida.com/historical/preservation/great-floridians-program/ 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

46 minutes ago, slick1ru2 said:

These are people formally recognized by the state as great Floridians based on a set of criteria. Several pro ball players and Tony Dungy are on it. Shouldn't Selmon be included? 

http://dos.myflorida.com/historical/preservation/great-floridians-program/ 

The pro ball players all played college in the state. As much as I love Lee Roy, I don't see it as a real oversight that he's not on there when compared to the other players/sports figures on the list ..... Plus, LeeRoy on a list with that Mafioso don from south Florida just wouldn't seem right.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

George Washington Jenkins

The founder of Publix, the largest employee-owned supermarket chain in the United States, Jenkins opened the first store in Winter Haven in 1930.

IMO, the list is thorough and complete.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

6 hours ago, Triple B said:

The pro ball players all played college in the state. As much as I love Lee Roy, I don't see it as a real oversight that he's not on there when compared to the other players/sports figures on the list ..... Plus, LeeRoy on a list with that Mafioso don from south Florida just wouldn't seem right.

Normally, I'd say you have a point, but there's too much in favor of LeeRoy even though he wasn't from here. He never played Pro football in another city. He stepped up and basically built USF into a quality football program, and for a time we really were Tampa's team. he's done far more in the State of Florida than he did in the State of Oklahoma. he wasn't born or raised here, but he adopted this state and made Tampa better for it.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

8 hours ago, Triple B said:

Honestly, if Tony Dungy could make the list, I don't see why Lee Roy couldn't.  Arguably, Lee Roy has done more for Tampa than Tony did.  

I have to agree with slick on this one.  

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

Normally, I'd say you have a point, but there's too much in favor of LeeRoy even though he wasn't from here. He never played Pro football in another city. He stepped up and basically built USF into a quality football program, and for a time we really were Tampa's team. he's done far more in the State of Florida than he did in the State of Oklahoma. he wasn't born or raised here, but he adopted this state and made Tampa better for it.

He should definitely be included on a list like that for Great Tampanians but I really can't point to anyone on that list and say since he's on there, LRS should be also ...

Edit: Including Tony Dungy. If there were players on there who didn't play college ball in the state but were great in their local community, there would be more of a case, IMO...... maybe LeeRoy will be the first and added at some point.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

**** Ponce de Leon.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

31 minutes ago, JTrue said:

**** Ponce de Leon.

74c38027081ddcf6f626f9c41670e91b.jpg

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

I was picking up my daughter by the athletic building one afternoon, and Lee Roy was standing just outside the front door entrance on sidewalk by parking lot waiting to meet someone or waiting for his ride...I still remember clear as day his big smile as we drove by him and gave him a wave.  I hope some day a nice statue of Lee Roy, with that same big warm smile, could be placed at that same spot he stood that day by the athletic building now named after him.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

build him a statue