• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Shouldn't Lee Roy Selmon Be Recognized?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, Ned A Starr said:

If I'm not mistaken, all the football players on the list not only played their college ball in FL, but are also Native Floridians.

Scratch that..Tebow was born in the Philipines, so why is playing college football in FL, different than playing all your pro football in FL?

The answer lies with the Division of Historical Resources of the Department of State ...

45 minutes ago, Bullinchinashop said:

Is their a bronze status of Leroy anywhere? USF? Bucs?  U of Oklahoma?

I think this is the only likeness of him at this point in time ...

http://m8.i.pbase.com/t1/53/688553/4/64392408.tTjzMnZS.jpg

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Well, USF has named the entire athletic building after the man...which is well deserved and appropriate. 

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

I am not sure what Tebow has done outside of football to be on that list, especially at such a young age. Dunn had a foundation that gave the poor houses. I think it's an impressive number, if I recall correctly. The list doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason. It would be nice to see Selmon get some bigger recognition for what he did in Tampa. Maybe he just needs a nomination. I think he's done as much for Florida as Dungy.

1 hour ago, slick1ru2 said:

I am not sure what Tebow has done outside of football to be on that list, especially at such a young age. Dunn had a foundation that gave the poor houses. I think it's an impressive number, if I recall correctly. The list doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason. It would be nice to see Selmon get some bigger recognition for what he did in Tampa. Maybe he just needs a nomination. I think he's done as much for Florida as Dungy.

Tebow's on there because I'm sure there are tons of Gator pukes infesting the process .... which is why Emmitt's there and Dunn's not. The Dungy Family Foundation is a pretty big thing that separates he and Lee Roy but like you said, there's not much rhyme nor reason to the process and may be just a matter of a nomination.

Kinda funny how I found that list. I was watching Cross Creek, about Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings time in Florida. I was reading about her and saw she was on this list of Floridians, so I go and check it out. I expect it to be full of people who've done outstanding artistic and humanitarian achievements but find a list with football players, politicians, coaches, soldiers, etc. and the inventor of Gatorade. Strange list but it's a strange state I guess.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Is this "list" really as important as having a Div. 1's athletic building named after them? If you have to search to find that list then that list is not important. LRS legacy is too good for that list.

Is this "list" really as important as having a Div. 1's athletic building named after them? If you have to search to find that list then that list is not important. LRS legacy is too good for that list.

That list should be full of better Floridians than they've included imo. In that sense, they've trashed it, so then I agree, he's too good for it in its current form.