Saturday's Scrimmage

bullwark

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Is this Saturday's scrimmage open or closed to the public?

• Content Count:  1,482
  • Days Won:  1

Is this Saturday's scrimmage open or closed to the public?

+1

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I am pretty sure it's closed. I thought Greg reported that all VERO practices/scrimmage were open and all Tampa practices/scrimmages weren't

• Content Count:  1,079
  • Days Won:  0

Boo to this scrimmage being closed. Was hoping to stop by on my way to Lakeland for my fantasy draft.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

"Saturday's session, which is closed to the public and media."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/notes-eveld-usfs-biggest-surprise-so-far#comments

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  76,329
  • Days Won:  439

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/notes-eveld-usfs-biggest-surprise-so-far#comments

Smazza's not going to be happy ...  :(

Smazza's not going to be happy ...  :(

Tsk! Tsk!  ;)

From Greg on twitter:

USF receiver Dontavia Bogan shined today in Bulls' second scrimmage with 2 TD catches. Looks like Mistral Raymond is a starting cornerback.

26 minutes ago via web

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

It was closed today, but I'd say more than 100 people -- players' families, mostly -- watched, so you might be able to flush out an eyewitness with some observations among the fans here ...

AUGUST 21, 2010

Scrimmage notes: Bogan 2 TDs, Raymond shines at corner

After a lackluster showing a week ago in USF's first scrimmage, the Bulls offense showed considerable improvement Saturday in the team's second scrimmage, with senior receiver Dontavia Bogan leading the way with two touchdown catches.

"The thing I was the happiest to see on the perimeter was Bogan," offensive coordinator Todd Fitch said. "We talked about three or four days ago, a little bit of one-on-one, just about what we're looking for. He's got to be our featured guy obviously, with the injuries we had, and the last four days, he's really stepped it up. He's taken the challenge. He made two really tough catches for touchdowns out here today. I just want to see him have fun, and I want him to lead the receiver group, and he's done that."

Defensive coordinator Mark Snyder said Saturday's scrimmage convinced him his secondary is at its best with senior Mistral Raymond, who entered the fall as a starting safety, lined up at cornerback, which means either Quenton Washington or Kayvon Webster wouldn't be part of the starting defense.

"Moving Skinny (Raymond) to corner, there's a big difference when he's not at corner," Snyder said. "We'll go in and talk about it, but from what I saw today, yeah (he would be at corner)."

USF coach Skip Holtz said that his staff will make decisions on the initial starting lineup and depth chart for the season based on Saturday's scrimmage, and that next weekend's final scrimmage won't be held with as competition in mind.

"This is a depth-chart scrimmage," Holtz said. "Next week will be more of a dress rehearsal than it will be where jobs are open. At some point, we have to start to pull off them a little more and start to get them ready to play the season."

QB BATTLE: The two true freshmen competing for the right to back up B.J. Daniels, Jamius Gunsby and walk-on Bobby Eveld, both played well according to coaches, but neither distanced himself as a clear No. 2. Gunsby suffered a minor hip injury during the scrimmage and didn't finish, but Holtz didn't think the injury was anything longterm.

"They both did good things," Fitch said. "They both pulled it down and made some plays, created some first downs. They're tough kids. They're getting whacked. As I told Eveld, it's not Jesuit anymore. They're tough kids, eager to learn. Very, very pleased with those guys at that age. They're both going to have nice futures and be positive people in this program."

DEFENSIVE DEPTH: Snyder is pleased with the depth on defense, especially on the defensive line, where five ends and five tackles are competing for playing time. "We're going to roll and play a lot of people, stay fresh and play fast," Snyder said.

MAYBE NEXT YEAR: Don't expect much in the way of a "wildcat" gimmick package, according to Fitch, who said he hasn't found a playmaker suited for the versatile run-or-throw aspect of the formation. "I've looked, but we don't have a wildcat," Fitch said. "We haven't tried it yet. We have one or two guys who played high school quarterback. Down the road, we have one in the wings sitting out right now that I think will be fantastic at it, but right now, we're Wildcat-less." Pretty sure he's talking about Dontae Aycock, the transfer from Auburn who is a running back at USF but played quarterback at Chamberlain.

THIS AND THAT: With Raymond working at cornerback, Snyder said that sophomore Tyson Butler is now working at safety and had a good scrimmage. Snyder also said redshirt freshman JaQuez Jenkins has had a "great camp." ... Fitch and Holtz both had praise for freshman walk-on receiver Stephen Bravo-Brown, who has turned heads in camp. "I tell you what, he's going to be a good football player," Fitch said. "He's shown us flashes that he can help us down the road. ... He's got a little bit of electricity to him when he touches the ball." ... Holtz said the battle at place-kicker between '09 starter Eric Schwartz and '08 starter Maikon Bonani will go all the way up to the season opener in two weeks. "We've got two good ones. It's a great problem to have," he said.

Posted by Greg Auman at 6:15:44 pm on August 21, 2010 in Football

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/scrimmage-notes-bogan-2-tds-raymond-shines-corner

Archived