Be wary of these teams when.....

SouthFLBully

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  557
  • Days Won:  0

Pretty cool article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview10/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=5460788

6. When going for it on fourth down: South Florida

South Florida has a new coach (former East Carolina skipper Skip Holtz) and a new defensive coordinator (former Marshall coach Mark Snyder). The Bulls can only hope they have the same defensive mentality they had on fourth down under the previous regime. USF's opponents converted only six of 25 fourth-down attempts last season. The 24 percent conversion rate was the best mark by a defense in '09.

Was unaware of this stat. Pretty cool.

• Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

But when they did convert... ouch. Think Rutgers '07 fake field goal pansy chicken #$% non-sense.

• Content Count:  1,079

Lol was just coming on to post this. Our special teams better be on top of their game come Sept. 11 (as well as our entire team)

1. When punting out of the end zone: Florida

Believe it or not, it's no longer Virginia Tech and "Beamer Ball," which had been the benchmark for blocking kicks for nearly two decades. In the past five seasons, Florida has been the most dangerous opponent when it comes to blocking punts. Since 2005 under coach Urban Meyer, the Gators have blocked 28 kicks, including 18 punts, which is the highest total among Football Bowl Subdivision teams.

11. When returning a punt: Florida

Florida doesn't allow its opponents to return many punts, and when they do, the Gators are usually downfield to smother returners. Senior Chas Henry has averaged 42.1 yards per punt during his three-year career, and 50 of his 115 punts were downed inside opponents' 20-yard line. Last season, the Gators allowed only five punt returns for 21 yards, the fewest in school history. Since 2005, Gators opponents have only 252 yards on 61 punt returns, least among FBS teams.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I think special teams is where i'm looking for the biggest improvement for this regime.

Lol was just coming on to post this. Our special teams better be on top of their game come Sept. 11 (as well as our entire team)

1. When punting out of the end zone: Florida

Believe it or not, it's no longer Virginia Tech and "Beamer Ball," which had been the benchmark for blocking kicks for nearly two decades. In the past five seasons, Florida has been the most dangerous opponent when it comes to blocking punts. Since 2005 under coach Urban Meyer, the Gators have blocked 28 kicks, including 18 punts, which is the highest total among Football Bowl Subdivision teams.

11. When returning a punt: Florida

Florida doesn't allow its opponents to return many punts, and when they do, the Gators are usually downfield to smother returners. Senior Chas Henry has averaged 42.1 yards per punt during his three-year career, and 50 of his 115 punts were downed inside opponents' 20-yard line. Last season, the Gators allowed only five punt returns for 21 yards, the fewest in school history. Since 2005, Gators opponents have only 252 yards on 61 punt returns, least among FBS teams.

• Content Count:  8,748
  • Days Won:  23

Pretty cool article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview10/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=5460788

6. When going for it on fourth down: South Florida

South Florida has a new coach (former East Carolina skipper Skip Holtz) and a new defensive coordinator (former Marshall coach Mark Snyder). The Bulls can only hope they have the same defensive mentality they had on fourth down under the previous regime. USF's opponents converted only six of 25 fourth-down attempts last season. The 24 percent conversion rate was the best mark by a defense in '09.

Was unaware of this stat. Pretty cool.

to bad we were dead last in the conference for 3rd down conversion giving up a 1st down 49.5% of the time.

thank god for the creampuffs to pad our national stats or we would have ranked 118th in the country. 1 spot ahead of 0-12 western kentucky.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Being a glass half full kind fan, I say that a team that blocks a lot of kicks is susceptible to fake kicks. :)

• Content Count:  12,718
  • Days Won:  25

Recruiting the speed guys that they do they should be able to block one.

Maybe a little film on their alignments would help in knowing where they'll load up.

Or we could continue to whine and moan about the way it was in the past,cause heaven knows the BULLS were never any good. Never won a game or had good stats if it were'nt for "creampuffs".

• Content Count:  3,000
  • Days Won:  4

actually, as bad as we were on 3rd down in some of our BE games, the 4th down stuff wasn't against all the creampuffs. i remember we stopped WVU on 4th down last year, and we stuffed FSU what, 2 times, maybe 3, on 4th and goal from the 1 or 2 yard line? that's good defense right there.

• Content Count:  8,748
  • Days Won:  23

Recruiting the speed guys that they do they should be able to block one.

Maybe a little film on their alignments would help in knowing where they'll load up.

Or we could continue to whine and moan about the way it was in the past,cause heaven knows the BULLS were never any good. Never won a game or had good stats if it were'nt for "creampuffs".

you're right. send me the film. I'll get right on it.

last I checked, message boards were for pissing and moaning not breaking down film for the coaches.

the op found an interesting stat concerning 4th downs.

I found one concerning 3rd downs.

when we give up a 1st down on 50 of 101 attempts in conference it's much worse than stopping the opponent on 1 out of 10 4th down attempts.

6 out of 25 total  means that 5 out of 15 attempts were successful in our OOC games.

That's not very impressive considering our OOC games consisted of Wofford, Western Kentucky, Charleston Southern, FSU, NIU and Miami.

BTW Wofford was 3 for 6 against us in 4th down conversions.

• Content Count:  330

Ok.. while we're throwing stats out there..  USF is 6-0 in OT wins while UF is 2-2... not too shabby ehh...  ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_football_overtime_records

Quote from page "The University of South Florida has the best record of any team in overtime games (6-0)."

Archived